[sci.military] Seeking info on DDG-996

saxman@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ken DeLaughder) (05/02/91)

From: saxman@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ken DeLaughder)

I have a friend in the Naval Reserves who serves his two weeks aboard the
USS Chandler, DDG-996.  I was wondering whether anyone out there could post
come more information on the ship, what class it belongs to, etc etc...

Apparently this class has an interesting history, they were supposed to be give
to the Shaw of Iran, before the Ayatollah took over, so the US Navy got them
for nil! He says the nickname of the class is the "Ayatollah class".

Thanks for the info in advance

By the way, he mentioned something about them getting a pretty hot upgrade in
electronics, that info would be cool as well...

--
Ken DeLaughder
saxman@ksuvm.ksu.edu

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (05/06/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

saxman@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ken DeLaughder) writes:
>I have a friend in the Naval Reserves who serves his two weeks aboard the
>USS Chandler, DDG-996.  I was wondering whether anyone out there could post
>come more information on the ship, what class it belongs to, etc etc...

	[Wondering?  Surely the issue was never really in doubt! :-) --CDR]

4 KIDD CLASS GUIDED MISSILE DESTROYERS (DDG)

Name                                No.        Commissioned
KIDD (ex-Iranian KOUROOSH)          DDG 993    27 Jun 1981
CALLAGHAN (ex-Iranian DARYUSH)      DDG 994    29 Aug 1981
SCOTT (ex-Iranian NADER)            DDG 995    24 Oct 1981
CHANDLER (ex-Iranian ANOUSHIRVAN)   DDG 996    13 Mar 1982

All KIDD Class destroyers were built by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp.

Displacement, tons:  6950 light; 9574 full load
Dimension, feet:     563.3 x 55 x 20; 33 sonar
Main machinery:      4 General Electric LM 2500 gas turbines;
		     80,000 shp; 2 shafts
Speed, knots:        33
Range, miles:        3300 at 30 knots; 6000 at 20 kts; 8000 at 17 kts
Complement:          330 (20 officers)

Missiles:            SSM: 8 McDonnell Douglas Harpoon (2 quad) launchers
		     SAM: 52 GDC Pomona Standard SM-2MR (SM-1MR in
			  DDG 663).
		     A/S: 16 Honeywell ASROC; Mk 46 Mod 5 Neartip/
			  Mk 50.  2 twin Mk 26 (Mod 2 & Mod 3) launchers
			  for Standard and ASROC; missiles are split
			  between 2 magazines.
Guns:                2 FMC 5 in/54 Mk 45 Mod 0
		     2 General Electric/General Dynamic 20mm Vulcan
		     Phalanx 6-barrelled Mk 15
		     4-12.7mm MGs
Torpedoes:           6-Mk 32 (2 triple) tubes; torpedoes fired from
		     inside the hull under the hanger.
Countermeasures:     Decoys: 4 Loral Hycor SRBOC 6-barrelled fixed
		     Mk 36; IR flares and Chaff to 4 km (2.2 nm).
		     SLQ 25 Nixie; torpedo decoy.
ESM/ECM:             SLQ 32(V)2; radar warning. Sidekick modification
		     adds jammer and deception system.
Helicopters:         2 SH-2F LAMPS I or 1 SH-60 LAMPS III

Program:  Under the approved FY 1979 supplemental budget under the US
Navy took over the contracts of four destroyers originally ordered by
the Iranian Government in 1974, but cancelled, on 3 February 1979 (DDG
995 and 996) and 31 March 1979 (DDG 993 and 995).  The four were officially
acquired on 25 July 1979.

Modernization: SCOTT has received the New Threat Upgrade modernization
with updated Mk 74 MFCS for SM-2MR and SPG 51D radars, SPS 49(v)5 and
Mk 14 weapon direction system.  CALLAGHAN and CHANDLER complete in late
1990 with KIDD to follow in 1991-92.

Structure: The modular concept has been used extensively to facilitate
construction and future modernization.  Displacement could be up to
1000 tons over design because of the addition of Kevlar armor.  Excellent
air conditioning because of original Iranian requirements.  NTU has
led to a rearrangement of the mainmast and repositioning of SPS 48 and
the SPG 60 aerials, in order to make room for the SPG 49.

Operational: These ships are optimised for general warfare instead of
anti-submarine warfare as are the Spruance class, and the ability to
fire SM-2MR allows them to support Aegis cruisers, if necessary allowing
Aegis to control the missiles.  The addtion of SPS 49 markedly improves
air picture compilation capability.  They are the most powerful destroyers
in the fleet.  Originally, it had been planned to build the entire Spruance
class to this design, but because of 'cost' the design was altered to
the current plan.

Source: Jane's Fighting Ships 1990-91

Steve Williams