[sci.military] USN fleet numbering

VANDENBR%UNCG.BITNET@ncsuvm.cc.ncsu.edu (David A. Vandenbroucke) (04/23/91)

From: "David A. Vandenbroucke" <VANDENBR%UNCG.BITNET@ncsuvm.cc.ncsu.edu>

I was prowling my Friendly Neighborhood Hobby Store the other day, and I
noticed all of Victory Games' "fleet" series lined up in a row:  "Second
Fleet," "Third Fleet," "Fifth Fleet," "Sxith Fleet," and "Seventh Fleet."
That got me to wondering:  Why are there no 1st Fleet or 4th Fleet?  (I have
subsequently learned that there is in fact no 5th Fleet, either, but that
there had been talk of activating one for the Indian Ocean.)  The question
remains, how did these fleet numbers come about?  Was there a time when we had
"Seven Fleets for Seven Seas?"  Is the current numbering system the outcome of
some later reorganization program that cut out the 1st, 4th, and 5th Fleets
without renumbering the rest?

	[This is the sort of question that results in a lot of
	 followups.  Sure answers only, please.  --CDR]

--Dav Vandenbroucke
Dept. Economics
UNC Greensboro

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (05/02/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

(look, ma!  no quoted text!  :-)

		[ THANK YOU!! --CDR ]

Regarding a posting asking about the USN's somewhat illogical
method of numbering their fleets (i.e., 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th),
I asked one of the local "oldtimers" about the evolution of this
numbering scheme.

He said that there used to be just a 1st Flt and a 2nd Flt (a bit
of protocol -- even numbered fleets are LANT, odd numbered are PAC).
There was a political brouhaha about this, saying that there shouldn't
be a "1st" Flt since that implies precedence over all others.  At the
time, 1st Flt was homeported in San Diego.

So, when 1st Flt moved to Pearl, they recristened it "3rd Flt."  This
lasted until the higher fleets (i.e., 6th and 7th) were split from
the 2nd and 3rd Flts.  There was no precedence over this move or this
numbering style -- at least none that my contact was aware of.  The
duties of each fleet were:  2nd and 3rd Flts were for "Training and
Readiness," while the 6th and 7th Flts were operational units.

There was once talk of making a 5th Flt, which would basically incorp-
orate the PACFLT fleets (3rd and 7th) into one command.  This concept
never evolved.  I have also heard about a 10th Flt, but don't know
much about that...  (Heard one surface skimmer refer to it as a "Ghost
Fleet...")

My contact has never, in his 30+ years of Navy service, heard any mention
of a 4th Flt.

It should be noted that CINCENT, the Central Command, has the authority
to take units from the various numbered fleets in time of war (e.g., the
recent "Iraqi Invitational Gulf Tournament.")

Hope this helps....

-shane

wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Robert Wunderlick) (05/03/91)

From: wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Robert Wunderlick)

Acoording to a former naval contact of mine, the 5th fleet was operational
in WWII, and was decommissioned along with demobilization around 1946.

It appears now that 1st fleet will be re-established in San Diego, and
3rd fleet will be decommisioned.

Info on even numbers being LANT flt and odd numbers being PACFLT appears
correct.

Bob Wunderlick

YBMCU%CUNYVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (05/06/91)

From: <YBMCU%CUNYVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>

>From: wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Robert Wunderlick)
>Acoording to a former naval contact of mine, the 5th fleet was operational
>in WWII, and was decommissioned along with demobilization around 1946.

The numbered fleets were a WWII invention - prior to that there was only the
US fleet.  Just prior to the war, an Atlantic Fleet was created, and a small
force (mostly cruisers and smaller, plus some old subs) was designated as
the Asiatic Fleet.  One of the fleet commanders would be designated as
CINCUS - as of Pearl Harbor, it was the C-in-C of the Pacific Fleet.  Right
after Pearl Harbor, the CINCUS job was split, leaving 3 fleet commanders, but
still no numbered fleets.

During the war, the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets still remained, mostly as
training commands.  A set of numbered fleets began to develop, each with
different missions.  By the end of the war, the numbered fleets were:

Pacific:

3rd fleet/5th fleet:  These were mostly the same ships - the Central Pacific
force reporting to Nimitz.  He has two primary fleet commanders - Fleet
Admiral Halsey, and Admiral Spruance.  When the Halsey team commanded the
ships, they were the 3rd fleet, when the Spruance team commanded them,
they were the 5th fleet.  (They also changed things like fast carrier
commanders, etc, but it was the same ships.)  These ships included all
of the fast carriers and new battleships in the Pacific.

7 fleet - Under Admiral Kinkaid, reporting to General MacArthur as C-in-C
Southwest Pacific.  These was mainly the old battleships, and escort carriers
(although those ships would often be back with 3/5 fleet if one of them is
conducting a landing).  Things could get very messy (and did at Leyte) when
both 3rd and 7th fleets were involved in a landing, since they didn't report
to the same boss.

In the Atlantic:

4th fleet - South Atlantic - mostly dispatched from the Atlantic fleet, since
not much was happening there.

8 fleet - US Naval Forces, Northwest African Waters - essentially the
Mediterranean fleet.  Originally set up to support the North African
landings, and stayed on for the rest of the war

12th fleet - US Naval Forces, Europe - an administrative command, since the
fleets in Europe were under the command of the British Admiral who was the
naval commander under Eisenhower.  Interestingly enough, this was under
the command of Admiral Stark, who was exiled to there after being blamed
for the naval side of Pearl Harbor (he was Chief of Naval Operations at the
time.)

10th fleet - This one also had no ships, and was under the direct command
of King (CNO/Cominch - the old CINCUS title renamed).  This one was the
administrative orgainization in charge of Atlantic theater antisubmarine
warfare.

Much of this information can be found in Morrison's 15 volume naval history
of WWII, or in the official reports of King during the war (reprinted in
a single volume after the war), or any other good naval history of WWII.

--
Ben Yalow
BITNET: YBMCU@CUNYVM         INTERNET: YBMCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

wul@sco.COM (Wu Liu) (05/07/91)

From: Wu Liu <wul@sco.COM>

>From: wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Robert Wunderlick)
>Acoording to a former naval contact of mine, the 5th fleet was operational
>in WWII, and was decommissioned along with demobilization around 1946.

I seem to recall that the main U.S. strike fleet in the Pacific theatre
during the 1944-1945 time frame was called the 3rd fleet when Halsey
was commanding, and the 5th fleet when Spruance ran his flag up.  The
ships themselves were mostly the same.