[sci.military] What military unit wears this tattoo?

osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (Ron Morgan) (05/07/91)

From: osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (Ron Morgan)

I'm aware that certain military units, particularly those with
specialized duties (Special Forces, Rangers, Seals, etc.) have specific
tattoos that identify members or former members.

	[I *seriously* doubt this but I'll let the membership answer. --CDR]

I was recently informed that a tattoo consisting of chains tattooed
around the wrists, just a simple row of connected links about 3/4"
wide, signified membership in some kind of special unit. Does anybody
know what it is? Here's a little background on the subject in
question.

He served in Vietnam in the early 70's, and said he was, among other
things, an MP. He was 6' 3" tall, and weighed 260 pounds, built solid
as a rock. He looked like he could just walk through a brick wall
without blinking.  This guy would walk through the front door of a bar
and proclaim, "I can whip any m*****f***** in this joint," and then
he'd do it. Once he heard some of his co-workers were "talking about
him," and he called us all together and said, "I will not tolerate
people talking behind my back. If I ever, ever hear of one of you doing
it, I will pound you to a bloody pulp. I have a ham-sized fist and
brother, I know how to use it. If you have a beef about me, you bring
it to me, don't go whining behind my back, or I'll make you wish you'd
never been born; I'll stick my hand down your throat and jerk your
liver out." (He did indeed have fists the size of shoeboxes) He'd also
loudly proclaim such things as "I've killed 36 men, and I loved it,"
and "hell, I'd rape your mother if somebody paid me enough."

This was about 10 years ago, by the way. I have never in my life known
anybody so violent. This guy was just incredible. He was absolutely
fearless, with arms so big he slumped forward when he walked, as if
their weight made it difficult to stand upright. He also had the IQ of
an earthworm...(God help me if he's reading this...(-8 )

He had a chain tattooed around each wrist, and the words, "Surrender,
like hell!" tattooed on one forearm. Somebody told me recently that the
chains were *definitely* associated with some military unit, but he
couldn't remember which one. Any comments?

Ron Morgan osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

waltm@bu.edu (Walt Mattison) (05/08/91)

From: maxzilla.UUCP!waltm@bu.edu (Walt Mattison)

>From: osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (Ron Morgan)
>I'm aware that certain military units, particularly those with
>specialized duties (Special Forces, Rangers, Seals, etc.) have specific
>tattoos that identify members or former members.

Bzzzztt. wrong answer try again. Most of the SPECWAR people don't have
tattoos. Plausible deniability ya know....The government doesn't need
some body hanging around in a country where it wasn't invited to begin
with linking itself with a known military unit of our country.

>I was recently informed that a tattoo consisting of chains tattooed
>around the wrists, just a simple row of connected links about 3/4"
>wide, signified membership in some kind of special unit. Does anybody
>know what it is? Here's a little background on the subject in
>question.

Never heard of it, but that's no big deal.

>He served in Vietnam in the early 70's, and said he was, among other

 [ stuff deleted ]

[F]rom the description of this guy I'd say he's just a bonehead who
likes war stories, and bullying people.  You mention that he was an MP
of some sort, well that isn't one of the skills used in the Special
Operations Field. He might have been Airborne assigned to an airborne
unit but that's about it. They usually didn't waste schools like Ranger
on MPs...they didn't have a use for the training. Also, to be accepted
into the SF world you had to have an IQ higher than that of an earthworm.
(except in my case )...

walt
de oppresso libre

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (05/08/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (Ron Morgan)
> I'm aware that certain military units, particularly those with
> specialized duties (Special Forces, Rangers, Seals, etc.) have specific
> tattoos that identify members or former members.
>
> 	[I *seriously* doubt this but I'll let the membership answer. --CDR]

Not really.  Airborne (and Rangers, and Special Forces) like to get
jump wings tattoed - but that's normally after jump school.  SF went
through a phase of skull and crossbones - but there has never been an
'unofficial' official identifying tattoo.  At least not to my knowledge -
and I've served with SF, and Airborne, and Rangers over my 22 years of
active duty.  Most SF that served in Vietnam wore Montengyard bracelets
and some retired SF friends of mine still wear theirs.  (I don't wear
mine anymore).

> He served in Vietnam in the early 70's, and said he was, among other
> things, an MP.  (!!!!!!)

Stop right there.  There's your first clue.  An MP.   You have to wonder
how a Military Policeman has the chance to "kill 36 men" - if he was
talking about combat.  The MPs in Vietnam did not have the best of
records (except during Tet '68).

Guys with attitudes like that did not get far in the military - often found
themselves thrown out - or in the stockade.  Sooner or later they were
rooted out.

> He had a chain tattooed around each wrist, and the words, "Surrender,
> like hell!" tattooed on one forearm. Somebody told me recently that the
> chains were *definitely* associated with some military unit -

yeah, probably the Army Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth.

Well, this has gone on far enough for me.........

mike schmitt