[sci.military] Soviet Naval Infantry

wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) (05/05/91)

From: wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus)

Does anyone out there have info on the Soviet Naval Infantry. If
possible I would some info, on ranks, size, and deployment roles, i.e
what type of phib operations can they undertake using the ship they have?

Thanks in Advance
Alex Klaus <wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca>

cmort@ncoast.org (05/08/91)

From: cmort@ncoast.org

>From: wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus)
>Does anyone out there have info on the Soviet Naval Infantry. If
>possible I would some info, on ranks, size, and deployment roles, i.e
>what type of phib operations can they undertake using the ship they have?

Try the Squadron/Signal books on Soviet forces and Elite Warsaw Pact forces.
They have good sections on naval infantry with good uniform plates.  That
The latter also has coverage of Polish naval infantry.

cmort@ncoast.org --- Chris Morton
"Well just whose opinions do you THINK these are?"

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/08/91)

From: fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary)

In article <1991May7.062206.12110@amd.com> wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) writes:
>Does anyone out there have info on the Soviet Naval Infantry. If
>possible I would some info, on ranks, size, and deployment roles, i.e
>what type of phib operations can they undertake using the ship they have?

I have heard a rumor that soviet army armored divisions had been transfered
to Naval control. This was done to comply with conventional forces reduction
agreements. The armored units are nominally guarding the naval bases.

Frank Crary
UC Berkeley

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (05/09/91)

From: wdr@wang.com (William Ricker)

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) writes:
> Alex Klaus (wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca) writes:
>>Does anyone out there have info on the Soviet Naval Infantry. If

>I have heard a rumor that soviet army armored divisions had been transfered
>to Naval control. This was done to comply with conventional forces reduction
>agreements. The armored units are nominally guarding the naval bases.

I heard that on the radio a month or two ago -- like during the Iraq
war?  I don't recall if it was Armor or Mech.Infantry, though;
something heavy & clunky and covered by CFE (while Naval Infantry
a/k/a Marines are not).  The goal was for Gorbachev to appease the
military while not literally abrogating the treaties he'd signed when
stronger.

I later heard that they'd been forced to back down by US/NATO diplomatic
pressure.  The Sov. military is less annoyed since he at least tried, than
if he hadn't.

Sources: BBC & NPR (I forget which I get what from, since they're carried
on the same stations locally!)  Maybe someone with a Janes Weekly sub. can
confirm.

--
/s/ Bill Ricker                wdr@wang.wang.com
"The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one."