[net.music] mailing list for Kate Bush

blickstein@speedy.DEC (Dave Blickstein) (08/12/85)

Newsgroups: net.music
Subject: Re: Morse covers

In article <3495@decwrl.UUCP> blickstein@babel.DEC (Dave Blickstein) writes:

>During each concert Morse also did an improvised solo, usually during the
>break in Cruise Control.   He almost always included some kind of musical
>"quote" although I don't think you could really call them covers.  Over
>the years, the "quotes" that I can remember include:
>
>	3. Dazed and Confused, Led Zeppelin

   I saw them many years back at the Union theater here.  Morse did the excerpt
from "Dazed and Confused"; it was great!  Page never played it so well.
   Pardon my ignorance, but are they still around?  The last album I'm familiar
with is Dregs of the Earth (I believe).

Newsgroups: net.music

While I find Kate Bush's music fairly interesting and wonderful at times
  (I love "December Will be Magic Again"), I am fairly sick of hearing
  about her on the net (it's taken a few months for me to give up on
  articles about her, but I am now using 'n' on any article with her
  name in the header.  I am sure that almost every net.music reader is
  doing the same thing.  From the postings, it seems there are about
  20 (or maybe less) people who are VERY interested in Kate Bush, and
  like to do in depth analysis of her words/music/instruments/sexuality.
  I feel that if there were a Kate Bush mailing list, you could indulge
  your fandom even more, and without creating a lot of traffic that most
  net.music readers will not read.

Since her new album is coming out fairly soon, it seems that it will
  generate a LOT of traffic (although it's unlikely that much more than
  normal is even possible :-).

Therefore, I sincerely request that a kate bush mailing list be created.
  If none of the rabid fans is willing to moderate the list, I will do so
  (just to keep the size of net.music down).

So, how about if people MAIL me responses of one of the following forms:

  1) Yes, Sam, I would like there to be a Kate Bush Mailing List, because
        I just use the "n" key whenever I see an article about her.
  2) Yes, Sam, I would like there to be a Kate Bush Mailing List, and
        would love to be on it.
  3) I want a Kate Bush Mailing List so much that I am willing to moderate
	it. (I will give priority to Doug Allen or whoever comes first).
  4) No, Sam, You are wrong, Kate should stay in net.music.
  5) Other. (Be specific).

I'll keep track of responses for the next few weeks, and then summarize to
  the net, and request the creation of mail.katebush if the response
  demonstrates its need.

--
Sam Rebelsky -- Archivist @ DOC Films - The nation's oldest student film group
UUCP :  ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!r032

This is in response to Sam Rebelskys poll for separate accomodation for the
Bush League(s). Sorry to be posting this to net.music instead of a personal
response but I'm not a direct UUCP user and can't seem to send this directly to
Sam. (My postings are sent through through mysterious channels).  But I felt
strongly enough about this and I wanted my vote counted.

I vote for for option 1 with comment:

>  1) Yes, Sam, I would like there to be a Kate Bush Mailing List, because
>        I just use the "n" key whenever I see an article about her.

I also RECEIVE net.music through mysterious channels and read net.music
using a facility that does not provide anything like the "n" key.  Thus I am
forced to skim (often at dial-up speeds) through the entire bulk of KBush
postings which I have no interest in, although I respect and admire the
devotion of her fans.   I know there are probably hundreds of other folks in my
organization alone who read net.music the same way.   The separate group
and/or mailing list scheme worked to the benefit of both deadheads and
non-deadheads and its worth a try for Kate Bush, who seem to produce the
same kind of devoted fandom as the grateful dead.

One emphatic vote for either a subgroup or (preferably) a separate mailing
list for Kate Bush postings that are not of GENERAL INTEREST.   This is not
intended to exclude ALL Kate Bush discussions from net.music.

	Dave Blickstein

(UUCP)  {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-orphan!blickstein

(ARPA)  BLICKSTEIN%ORPHAN.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/15/85)

> From Dave Blickstein

> I vote for for option 1 with comment:

>>  1) Yes, Sam, I would like there to be a Kate Bush Mailing List, because
>>        I just use the "n" key whenever I see an article about her.

> One emphatic vote for either a subgroup or (preferably) a separate
> mailing list for Kate Bush postings that are not of GENERAL INTEREST.
> This is not intended to exclude ALL Kate Bush discussions from
> net.music.

What's of general interest?  Is anything of general interest?  Some very
interesting (in my opinion) discussions have occurred with people who
are not Kate Bush fans and that were inititiated by postings from me that
might not be considered of "general interest".

For example, a posting of some of my interpretations of some of Kate
Bush's lyrics sparked a very interesting conversation with J. Eric
Roskos (among others), and he is not (was not?) a Kate Bush fan, and
probably wouldn't have subscribed to a Kate Bush mailing list.

I wouldn't object as much to a separate newsgroup (net.music.kate?
net.music.fans?) because then at least people who wouldn't bother to
subscribe to a mailing list might participate.

			"If I only could
			 Be running up that hill
			 With no problems"

			 Doug Alan