[sci.military] Civilian Nuclear Ships

MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Michael Edelman) (05/06/91)

From: Michael Edelman <MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>

Why have their been no successors to the Savannah? A major reason may
be that shipboard reactors- at least those in our Navy- use highly
enriched uranium fuel. Some or all is actually weapons grade, from what
I've read. In general, the US Gov't doesn't like to see weapons grade
fuel out sailing the seven seas unless it's surrounded by a few hundred
armed sailors and marines.

--mike edelman    medelma@cms.cc.wayne.edu

newcomb@world.std.com (Donald R Newcomb) (05/08/91)

From: newcomb@world.std.com (Donald R Newcomb)

Michael Edelman <MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU> writes:
>Why have their been no successors to the Savannah?

The Japanese say, "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down." I
understand that some years back the Military Sealift Command looked
at taking over the Savannah for transport or hydrographic duties. The
problem comes from the nuclear power. Many countries will not allow
nuclear vessels in port. They tend to draw protest groups and unlike
oil fueled ships pose a great risk if sunk or damaged.

I don't think the uranium fuel in this type reactor is highly enriched.

Donald Newcomb
newcomb@world.std.com

mst@relay.EU.net (Markus Stumptner) (05/13/91)

From: vexpert!mst@relay.EU.net (Markus Stumptner)

> From: Michael Edelman <MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
> Why have their been no successors to the Savannah?

The reason why the 'Otto Hahn', the German counterpart to the Savannah
(constructed as an ore carrier) was decommissioned (about ten years
ago, as far as I recall), was that it became increasingly difficult to
find ports that would accept harboring a nuclear-powered ship.

Markus

budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (05/15/91)

From: budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)

Soviets build several nuclear icebreakers.  Lenin and Arktika
classes had nuclear propulsion.  Hard information is a bit
difficult to come by, but the rumors we got when I was an icebreaker
driver indicated that the Soviets had a tough time keeping them
maintained and their safety records were not very good.
Reciting the moldy old rumors is outside scope, so I won't.

Rex Buddenberg