[sci.military] NATO briefing

mdlouie@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Michael D. Louie) (05/08/91)

From: mdlouie@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Michael D. Louie)

For those of you that have been waiting so long that you forgot about
this, here it is...finally.  I posted it once before, last month, but it
never made it.  I haven't had enough time to deal with it until now, of
all times...finals!!!

Here is a summary of the NATO briefing that I attended on March 26th,
here on  the University of Texas at Austin campus.  The school's ROTC
and Government departments, in particular, were contacted by SACLANT
(Supreme Allied Command Atlantic) as to whom would be most interested.
I am enrolled in an American Foriegn Policy 1945-present class, which is
basically the US/USSR cold war thing.

---

Anyway, SACLANT headquarters, based in Norfolk, VA, sent three officers
to conduct the briefing:  Capt. Fitch (U.S. Navy, director of Strategic
Concepts and Policy) , Capt. Jose (Royal Netherlands Navy, Asst. Chief
of Staff, Warfare) and Commander Mahlert (Federal German Navy, Strategic
Inteligence Officer).
The last officer had all the information and numbers.  He claimed that
when he went back home next year, he would be integrated into the UNITED
German Navy.    They all joined up with SACLANT between 1988 and 1990,
serving two-year tours with their respective branches.

The briefing team from SACLANT headquarters tours North America to
explain what NATO and the Allied Command Atlantic are and do.   They
held a thirty-minute slide presentation to emphasize the history, goals,
military strategy, mission of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
The purpose is that of a mutual-security alliance, assembled to preserve
peace and order, through not only military, but a variety of other
means, such as political and economic ones.  Originally, in April of
1949, when it was formed, NATO was to keep the Soviets in check.  This
has since changed with the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact and the
collapse of Eastern European communism.

One of the briefers explained that the membership is flexible and can
take in whomever, but not the USSR right now.  He said E. Europe,
excluding E. Germany, is being considered, but I believe the nation must
petition to join.  Right now, there are sixteen members:  Belgium,
Canada, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the
Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and
the United States.

Next, they discussed the NATO command and control structure.  There are
three military zones: Allied Command Atlantic, Allied Command Europe,
and Channel Command.  The first one is responsible for all operations in
the Atlantic Ocean.  The second one concerns the European continent and
the Mediterranean Sea.  The last one is responsible for the use and
protection of the North Sea and English Channel.

The NATO primary headquarters is located in Brussels, Belgium.  Each
nation's foriegn minister, including Secretary of State James Baker,
goes there to mutually inform other nations on current policy.  This was
apparent during the Gulf action (the briefers mentioned it, but I don't
think they used the word "war").  There is a huge chain-of-command
trickling down from Brussels.  Each sector has it's own head.  The one
that is based in Norfolk, VA (SACLANT) is headed by an American admiral.
Right at this moment, he is Admiral Leon Edney (CinC, US Atlantic Command).

This sector is responsible for keeping control the  vital sea lanes from
the North Pole to the Tropic of Cancer to the coastal waters of North
and South America, Europe, and Africa, which is about twelve million
square miles of ocean.  Its primary purpose is to carry out forward NATO
defense.  SACLANT is divided down into three geographic regions, Western
(WESTLANT), Eastern (EASTLANT), and Iberian Atlantic (IBERLANT).

There is also Supreme Allied Command, Europe.  This is forward defense
of the Continent.  I suppose this is what Operation Reforger, the joint
ground operation conducted the last few years.  The head of SACEUR
ground forces is an American general.  Each officer serves a tour, so I
don't think they get to stay there forever.  I believe Gen. Eisenhower
was CINC-SACEUR once in the '50s.

As for the Channel Command, it covers the English Channel and the lower
portion of the North Sea.  There is a British admiral in charge of this zone.

Next, they discussed the future for the alliance.  Now that our primary
threat, the Warsaw Pact is gone, our forces can be scaled down and put
in a more constabulatory role.  Not a bush-war police action-type force,
but not really too far from the massive ground war-type action in
Germany, as originally planned, decades ago.  As stated above, new
members are being considered, but who is considered?  I don't know.  I
believe NATO will become part of the European Community's defense
force...since there will be a united continent, economically, why not
militarily, still?  In actuality, NATO came before the EEC.

The goals for the future are optimistic and flexible.  The alliance did
work quite well in the Gulf.  Although NATO didn't send actual forces,
the forces sent by individual nations worked well together.  They've had
a lot of practice, with huge practice campaigns, such as Operation
Reforger, in Germany, and the sort, where they trained together.  This
helped for better rapport between the individ

That was it for the briefing.  As mentioned before, Germany is now
totally integrated.  The Soviets are pulling their troops out of what
used to be East Germany to move home.  The officer briefing this segment
(they switched out according to their specialties) said that the
homefront for incoming soldiers is pretty dismal.  Prior to the
Conventional Forces Europe agreement (CFE), there were 60 Soviet and
Warsaw Pact divisions on the front line, not to mention 85-90 more
divisions in European USSR and 50-60 divisions in the rest of the USSR,
they have to integrate all of that into the interior.  That's hard.
Someone asked about our divisions, since we will be moving about 3 2/3.
He said they will be either reassigned to new home bases, or disbanded
and demobilized.  That is just as hard as the Soviets, except on a
lesser scale.

That's all.  I felt honored to actually see a real NATO briefing.  They
conduct these periodically in order to keep the public informed of
NATO's activities and achievements. All opinions are mine and mine
alone.  I do not work for NATO or the Federal government, nor the
Government department of the University of Texas at Austin. Most of this
information was dredged from memory, but the rest came from
supplementary material provided to my government professor by SACLANT.
Please E-mail me if you have any questions.

--
Michael	Louie
Univ. of Texas at Austin

nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (05/08/91)

From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)

>There is also Supreme Allied Command, Europe.  This is forward defense
>of the Continent.  I suppose this is what Operation Reforger, the joint
>ground operation conducted the last few years.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I took part in REFORGER IV back in Jan '73, and then it was an annual field
training exercise (FTX)...so, I can only assume that it's still an annual
thing;-)

Certain units stationed in Germany were selected to take part (units selec-
ted were different every year, I believe)...they played the role of the
Soviets invading the German plains. Then, certain units (some reserve) sta-
tioned in CONUS would airlift to Germany to manuever with/against the 'enemy'.
They would take some of their equipment, but also utilize some of the
pre-positioned stock already in Germany/Europe. I was stationed with 1/37
Armor, 1st Brigade, 1st Armor Division (Old Ironsides)...for REFORGER IV,
we became part of the 1st NATO Armor Division; 1st NATO Armor Division was
comprised of 1st Brigade, 3rd Brigade, Division Artillery, and Division Sup-
port Command of the 1st U.S. Armor Division, 4th Canadian Mechanized Battle
Group, and Panzer Regiment 200.

BTW, REFORGER stands for REturn of FORces to GERmany; our operation in
REFORGER IV was FTX Certain Shield.

--
Mark Aldo   UUCP: (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo   INTERNET: waldo@dsac.dla.mil
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center       | 614-238-8111

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (05/09/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

Some supporting/clarifying comments:

> From: mdlouie@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Michael D. Louie)
> Allied Command Europe...

"ACE".  The ACE Mobile Force is a unique multi-national airborne force
consisting of British, Netherlands, German, Italian, and U.S. airborne
battalions.  The U.S. contingent is based in Vicenza, Italy.  A lot of
their exercise training takes place in Norway.  Once in a while they'd
airdrop into Grafenwoehr for training - then we'd have to drive around
in jeeps and pick up the troopers that missed the drop zone :-)

> There is also Supreme Allied Command, Europe.
> The head of SACEUR
> ground forces is an American general.  Each officer serves a tour, so I
> don't think they get to stay there forever.  I believe Gen. Eisenhower
> was CINC-SACEUR once in the '50s.

Yes he was - but not "CINC" - just "SAC" (Supreme Allied Commander).
So was Bradley (which was when he got his 5th star - NO let's not go through
that again).  Alexander Haig was also SACEUR at SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters
Allied Powers, Europe), Belgium.  Today, General John Galvin is SACEUR.
(was Colonel Galvin, Chief of Staff 3rd Inf Div when I served under him).

> The goals for the future are optimistic and flexible.  The alliance did
> work quite well in the Gulf.  Although NATO didn't send actual forces,
> the forces sent by individual nations worked well together.  They've had
> a lot of practice, with huge practice campaigns, such as Operation
> Reforger, in Germany, and the sort, where they trained together.

Especially true for German-based U.S. units, Canadian, British, and French.
And not only large-scale exercises but small-unit exchanges and even
individual cross-posting.

Reforger (Return of Forces to Germany) began as an exercise to re-deploy
the 1st Infantry Division back to Germany.  It was mainly a logistics
exercise that grew out of proportion and ended up a multi-corps, multi-
national exercise - - it's a very complicated story - if anyone wants
background detail - email me.

mike schmitt

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (05/09/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

mdlouie@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Michael D. Louie) writes:
>I believe NATO will become part of the European Community's defense
>force...since there will be a united continent, economically, why not
>militarily, still?  In actuality, NATO came before the EEC.

There is such an entity -- called the CSCE, for Conference for Security and
Cooperation in Europe.  It will be NATO minus the U.S. and Canada, and will
(ideally) perform many of the same functions.  I haven't heard much of late
about it, but some Europeans feel they don't need the U.S.'s "extended
deterrence" anymore....

Time will tell if this beast ever really gets off the ground.

-shane

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (05/10/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)
> I took part in REFORGER IV back in Jan '73, and then it was an annual field
> training exercise (FTX)...so, I can only assume that it's still an annual
> thing;-)

The MAIN purpose was to redeploy the 1st Inf Div back to Germany.  The
FTX was something to do after getting there.

In the late '60s, the Vietnam manpower requirements were draining the
European-based units.  Some were only at 'cadre strength'.  6-man squads,
companies commanded by lieutenants, battalions commanded by majors, staffs
at half-strength.  Plus, those of us stationed in Europe at the time
considered ourselves only on extended "R&R" until we were shipped back to
Vietnam.  Given all that - the US decided to withdraw a division out of
Europe (the 24th ID, Goeppingen, I believe - which went to Fort Riley and
became the 1st ID).  NATO (Germany) was worried about the US having enough
combat power to stop the evil Russian hordes (we can discuss the MTO&E of
a type-Mongol Horde later).  The US promised that they would dedicate one
mechanized division (1st ID) to Europe and that it would redeploy upon the
first indication of trouble.  NATO (Germany) said, "we don't really believe
you can do that, prove it."  Thus, the birth of Reforger.

The plan was to store in "POMCUS Stocks" all the MTOE equipment for a full
Mech Div in Pirmasens and Karlshrue - division personnel with personal
weapons would be flown to nearby airfields and 'fall-in' on the equipment
and drive away.  It was a logistics exercise.  Transport people, draw
equipment, exercise the equipment by means of a 10 day FTX, convoy to
Grafenwoehr to 'live fire' tanks, artillery, crew-served weapons, convoy back
to POMCUS Sites, turn-in equipment, redeploy to CONUS.

The 1st Inf Div was THE class I, premier division in CONUS for European
deployment.  Matter of fact, all our maps, regulations, "enemy" were Germany.
All our regs were VII Corps.  Our "parent unit" was VII Corps and USAREUR,
not FORSCOM and CONUS.  The first six REFORGER exercises were with the
1st Inf Div, under command/control of VII Corps, and manuevered against
VII Corps units in Germany (either 3rd ID or 1st AD).  Usually the 4th
Canadian Mech Brigade and one of the 12th Panzer Division's brigades would
manuever with either of the divisions.

Well, pretty soon, the other Corps' and divisions thought that this was a
great idea and great training and wanted a piece of the action.  The first
non-1st ID REFORGER was in 1976 with the 101st Airmobile Division - over to
V Corps area - against the 8th ID.  (Doomed to failure - just with the
participants - my opinion).  First, you don't "rapidly" deploy helicoptors
by ship!  And I guess they proved that helicoptors without a heavy ground
tank support cannot survive a 'tank battle' battlefield.  Lessons learned?

I participated in 6 Reforger exercises.  Two from CONUS and 4 while in
Germany.  They kept getting bigger and bigger - and now (or at least the
last one) it is a multi-corps, multi-division, multi-nation exercise (called
"AUTUMN FORGE" - series of manuevers).  The enormity of the amount of troops
involved becomes apparent when you know that for every "reinforced division"
manuevering against another "reinforced division" there must be an almost
equal number of "Controllers" and "Umpires" for each side.  That takes
another full division complement of people.  And since all manuever is on
the German countryside - Manuever Damage takes another brigade-plus size of
manuever damage organization plus an Engineer Brigade to repair damage.
(and there are plenty of horror stories about manuever damage - I'll tell
you about the 3d Cav tanks doing pivot steers on the cobblestone streets
in the town square of Schweinfurt - some other day).

What did all this serve?  First, we kept the peace in Europe.  But secondly,
the battalion and brigade commanders and staffs that learned to plan these
long range deployments and swift, fast, hi-speed manuevers and action - were
the division commanders and staffs in the Gulf.  The last couple years of
Reforger manuevers were with M1A1 Abrams, M2 Bradleys, MLRS, Apache attacks
helicoptors, supported by USAF A-10s.

Now, I understand Reforger is being scaled back, further and further.  And
maybe there is no need for it at all anymore.  It served its purpose.

Mike Schmitt

"Sir, is our ration cycle A-C-A?"
"No, it's B-M-G.  Bacherei, Metzgerei, Gasthous."

mcdaniel@adi.com (Tim McDaniel) (05/16/91)

From: mcdaniel@adi.com (Tim McDaniel)

[Moderator, please be merciful.  It's brief.]
	[Belongs in soc.history, but Just This Once. --CDR]

bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
> to stop the evil Russian hordes (we can discuss the MTO&E of a
> type-Mongol Horde later).

Size	Name	Size	Name	Size	Name	Size	Name
---	----	---	----	---	----	---	----
10	arban	100	jagun	1000	minghan 10000	tumen

"Generally there would be two to three tumens in a Mongol army", and
three armies (Jun-gar: Left Wing/East; Baran-gar: Right Wing/West;
Khol: Center) in the Mongol army.  For more info or the source, e-mail
me (or Hal Heydt 8-).  "The Mongols", The Compleat Anachronist #54.

Does anyone have a source for a Roman legion's table of organization,
tactics, history, et cetera?  Please e-mail me with any info.

--
"Of course he has a knife; he always has a knife.  We all have knives.
It's 1183 and we're barbarians."