[sci.military] CV/CVA Classification

schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (05/17/91)

From: schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger)

sconway@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Sean P Conway) writes:
>If I remember correctly, the 'A' in CVA stands for 'heavy' not 'attack'.
>This follows the same logic that a CA stands for 'heavy cruiser'.  The
>rationale behind this was to distinguish between the larger and smaller
>carriers.  I have never heard of CVAN, but I have heard of nuclear
>carriers being refered to as CVA's.  Maybe since all modern heavy carriers
>are nuclear, they viewed it as being redundant to include the 'N'.

When used with carriers, as in 'CVA' the 'A' did stand for "attack".
USS Enterprise (CVN-65) was originally CVAN-65 for Aircraft Carrier, Attack
(Nuclear Propulsion).  The 'A' was dropped when the ASW role was brought
over from the CVS's and the carriers became multimission.  All currently
operational USN aircraft carriers are CV's (41, 59-64, 67) or CVN's (65, 68 and
on).

If I recall correctly, there was a WWII era 'heavy carrier' designation, which
was 'CVB'.

--
Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (05/20/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
>If I recall correctly, there was a WWII era 'heavy carrier' designation, which
>was 'CVB'.

This was Large Aircraft Carrier.  You are talking about the MIDWAY
class (USS MIDWAY, USS FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT, & USS CORAL SEA).

These carriers were the largest US carriers constructed during World
War II.  Completed too late for service in that conflict, they were
the backbone of US naval strength for the first decade of the Cold War.
 Beginning in 1949 they were modified to store, assemble, and load nuclear
weapons, making them the world's first warships with a nuclear strike
capability.  P2V-3C Neptunes and AJ-1 Savages were the first delivery
aircraft.

These ships were initially classified as Large Aircraft Carriers CVB
41-43, respectively, reclassified as Attack Aircraft Carriers (CVA)
in 1 October, 1952.  USS FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT was decommissioned (date
of decommission not sure) and USS MIDWAY AND USS CORAL SEA were reclassified
as Aircraft Carriers (CV) on 30 June 1975.  USS CORAL SEA was decommissioned
in April 1990.  I'm not sure about the status of USS MIDWAY today.