[sci.military] KAL Shootdown

jwrlep@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Lepingwell) (05/21/91)

From: John Lepingwell <jwrlep@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

[I wanted to get this in before a long flame/debate erupts based on
what I believe is erroneous information from Natl. Review.]

Keith Broekhoven quotes from National Review, concerning the 1983
Soviet shootdown of KAL 007:

>...in an extensive interview with Izvestia, the pilot who downed the
>plane, Lieutenant-Colnel Gennadi Osipovich, says, no, there was no
>warning to the airliner.  And, no, he did not mistake it for a military
>plane:  it was clearly a 747.  He further admits that the Soviet
>government instructed him to lie on each of these points--an excuse
>unfortunately not available to xxx, yyy, zzz, or aaa.

I have recently published a short article in "Report on the USSR" on
the KAL shootdown, based on the Soviet sources to which Natl. Review
refers.  ("Report on the USSR" used to be known as "Radio Liberty
Reports" it is published by Radio Liberty in Munich, and presents up
to date research on current events in the Soviet Union.  The article
just appeared in the April 26, 1991 issue.)

Osipovich did NOT admit that he knew the aircraft was a 747.  Instead,
he reported that AFTER he shot the missiles he wondered what kind of
aircraft it was, and thought it resembled an IL-76 (a large Soviet
transport aircraft).  Furthermore, he claims to not have even known
what a 747 looked like (!).

This is not to say that I fully believe this account, but Osipovich
has repeated it in a subsequent interview with Krasnaya Zvezda (the
Soviet military newspaper).  He WAS told to falsify his story,
however, and the Soviet ground-air tapes were doctored in order to
support the Soviet case, even though they were never released.

Other new information on this case (see the article for details):

     1)  KAL-007's air navigation lights were on throughout the interception.

     2)  The interceptor pilot did not fire tracer rounds to alert the
KAL airliner, because his aircraft was armed with only armor-piercing
rounds.

     3)  The Soviets did locate the wreckage of the airliner, and
mounted a campaign to keep U.S. forces away from the area.

     4)  The "black boxes" containing cockpit voice recordings and
flight data were found, and reportedly sent to Moscow for analysis.

The article examines these issues in some detail, and also assesses
their implications for the "conspiracy theories" that Keith Broekhoven
mentions.  To make a long story short the new Soviet revelations tend
to support the U.S. account of the incident, and undermine the
Soviet government's account and the conspiracy theories.

John Lepingwell
Dept. of Political Science
University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign