[sci.military] CGN/DLGN Classification

wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) (05/15/91)

From: wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus)

Huey <ae627x07@ducvax.auburn.edu>
mentions he wasn't too sure about the time when DLGNs were reclassified

According to my sources this reclassification took place in June 1975.
Also the following classes where also changed:

Old Class         New Class
--------------------------------
CVN                CVAN
CV                 CVA
CGN                (CLGN/DLGN)
CG                 (DLG)
FFG                (DEG)
FF                 (DE)

D(G)= Destroyer escort (guided)
(CLGN/DLGN) = Destroyer Long Range Guided Nuclear

An example how this change affected the various classes. USS Belknap,
were orginally "Frigate" but are now "Crusiers".  There are many other
examples these were first one at hand.

So up until 1975, the US Navy had nuclear destroyers.

The US had five DLGNs.
 CGN 36(Ex-DLGN) California
 CGN 37(Ex-DLGN) South Carolina
 CGN 35(Ex-DLGN) Truxtun
 CGN 25(Ex-DLGN) Bainbridge
 CGN 9 (Ex-DLGN) Long Beach

Now there are no nuclear destroyers in the US Navy. But there are more
than Spruance class destroyers in existance.

Now I have question. I know why the CVAN/CVAs where reclassified, but
the DLGN, what the motivation? (Hope I don't stir up the
Destroyer/Frigate/Crusier debate.)

Hope this info helps you

Alex Klaus <wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca>

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (05/15/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>According to my sources this reclassification took place in June 1975.
>Also the following classes where also changed:

>Old Class         New Class
>--------------------------------
>CVN                CVAN
>CV                 CVA
>CGN                (CLGN/DLGN)
>CG                 (DLG)
>FFG                (DEG)
>FF                 (DE)

Looks like you got your classes mixed up.  These classifications under
Old Class are actually New Class, and vice versa.

>D(G)= Destroyer escort (guided)
>(CLGN/DLGN) = Destroyer Long Range Guided Nuclear

>An example how this change affected the various classes. USS Belknap,
>were orginally "Frigate" but are now "Crusiers".

Correction: USS Belknap used to be classified as DLG 26 (Light Guided
Missile Destroyer) in the FY 1961 program; she was reclassified as CG
26 (Guided Missile Cruiser) on 30 June 1975.

>So up until 1975, the US Navy had nuclear destroyers.

>The US had five DLGNs.
> CGN 36(Ex-DLGN) California
> CGN 37(Ex-DLGN) South Carolina
> CGN 35(Ex-DLGN) Truxtun
> CGN 25(Ex-DLGN) Bainbridge

Correct.  All reclassified on 30 June 1975.

> CGN 9 (Ex-DLGN) Long Beach

Correction: Long Beach (CLGN 160) (Light Guided Missile Cruiser) was
ordered on 15 October 1956; reclassified as guided missile cruiser (CGN
160) early in 1957 and renumbered (CGN 9) on 1 July 1957.

>Now I have question. I know why the CVAN/CVAs where reclassified, but
>the DLGN, what the motivation?

Two Nimitz class carriers (USS Nimitz and USS Eisenhower) were ordered
as attack aircraft carriers (CVAN); they were reclassified as CVN on
30 June 1975.  They were refitted with A/S control center and facilities
for A/S aircraft and helicopters for their new multi-mission role
(attack/ASW).  Subsequent Nimitz class carriers are fitted similarly.

As for the reclassification of DLGN as CGN, my best bet is that the
new classification best describes the ship's functions.

Sources: Jane's Fighting Ships 1974-75, 85-86, 90-91.

gt3741b@prism.gatech.edu (Kikai heno hanashite) (05/15/91)

From: gt3741b@prism.gatech.edu (Kikai heno hanashite)

wcsswag@ccs.carleton.ca (Alex Klaus) writes:
>According to my sources this reclassification took place in June 1975.
>Also the following classes where also changed:

[Also notes the chart was backwards. --CDR]

There's one problem with that chart.. it's backwards.
The CVAN and CVA became CVN and CV (respectively), not the
other way around, as your chart suggests.  Further, you forgot
the CVS, which became CV as well (the whole idea was that all
of our carriers should be multi-mission..not just a group of
"attack" carriers, and a group of "ASW" carriers.. they should
all be able to do all of the jobs..  budget stuff).

>D(G)= Destroyer escort (guided)
>(CLGN/DLGN) = Destroyer Long Range Guided Nuclear
almost..  Destroyer LEADER (guided missile, nulcear propulsion)
for the most part, they are/were larger than the typical destoyer.

>An example how this change affected the various classes. USS Belknap,
>were orginally "Frigate" but are now "Crusiers".  There are many other
>examples these were first one at hand.

     Originally, we used a different meaning for frigate.  I don't have
my information with me, and it has been a while, so bare with me..
Most countries use the word frigate for small escorts, while we used it
for "non-ship-of-the-line" ships (this dates back to the revolutionary
war).  The problem is that in modern naval warfare, that pretty much
applies to any ship that isn't in a battle group, while in the old
days, it applied mostly to smaller ships.

     So, we rearranged things so that they were more nearly size and
capability related.  The smaller escorts became frigates.  These ships
are mostly only effective in 1 warfare area, with limited ability in
the others (actually, the FFG kinda violates this.. it was designed for
AAW, but with a towed sonar array, and 2 LAMPS III helo's, it's a very
effective ASW platform).  The medium sized, generally capable ships became
Destroyers (the DD type ship has been the main workhorse of the Navy for
quite a while).  These are very effective at 1 area, and can perform at
the others.  They are also the general surface ASW platform (the Spruance
was designed around that).

     Then the cruisers are supposed to be able to perform at all 3 warfare
areas.  I don't know if that always applies, however.  Some of the cruisers
from the Vietnam era weren't built with any surface guns (and hence couldn't
defend themselves from the little boats that the viet cong used to try to
send at them).

     Where do the CLGN/DLGN ships fit in? I think they were meant to be
"more than a destroyer", but since they weren't 'gun ships', no one really
considered them "cruisers" (keeping in mind that the navy didn't really get
serious about surface to surface missiles until the 70's..about the time
of the name change).  Once people realised that they were big enough, and
capable enough, they said calling them a light cruiser, or a destroyer
leader, really didn't apply, so they changed them to Cruisers.

>So up until 1975, the US Navy had nuclear destroyers.

     in name only.  The ships were of cruiser size (keep in mind that
the modern destoyers are about as large as a WWII cruiser).

[ List of 5 DLGNs omitted. --CDR]
>Now there are no nuclear destroyers in the US Navy. But there are more
>than Spruance class destroyers in existance.

The reason they never built a true "nuclear destoyer" was that the size
and weight (and cost) of the reactor limits the reactors to large ships.
The exception being with Submarines, which have an enormous bennefit from
nulcear reactors.

>Now I have question. I know why the CVAN/CVAs where reclassified, but
>the DLGN, what the motivation? (Hope I don't stir up the
>Destroyer/Frigate/Crusier debate.)

Hope I answered that above.

John
--
    Discussing whether or not machines can think  |       John E. Rudd jr.
  is about as interesting as discussing whether   |  gt3741b@prism.gatech.edu

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (05/16/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)
>
>>(CLGN/DLGN) = Destroyer Long Range Guided Nuclear
>
>Correction: USS Belknap used to be classified as DLG 26 (Light Guided
>Missile Destroyer) in the FY 1961 program; she was reclassified as CG
>26 (Guided Missile Cruiser) on 30 June 1975.

Correction: USS BELKNAP was a guided missile frigate (DLG), not a long
range guided destroyer, as I saw in the original posting and carried
over to my posting.  My apologies.

Some more interesting information on USS BELKNAP:  she was severely
damaged in a collision with the carrier USS JOHN F. KENNEDY (CV 67)
on 22 November 1975 near Sicily.  Repair and modernization began 9 January
1978.  Included Flag accommodation in ront of the bridge and the hanger
converted for additional accommodation.  Estimated cost $213 million
and includes new improved 5 in gun, updated missile armament, sonar
communications and radar suites as well as improvements in habitability.
Recommissioned 10 May 1980.

Source: Jane's Fighting Ships 1974-74 & 85-86

Steve Williams

sconway@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Sean P Conway) (05/16/91)

From: sconway@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Sean P Conway)

>From: gt3741b@prism.gatech.edu (Kikai heno hanashite)
>The CVAN and CVA became CVN and CV (respectively), not the
>other way around, as your chart suggests.  Further, you forgot
>the CVS, which became CV as well (the whole idea was that all
>of our carriers should be multi-mission..not just a group of
>"attack" carriers, and a group of "ASW" carriers.. they should
>all be able to do all of the jobs..  budget stuff).

If I remember correctly, the 'A' in CVA stands for 'heavy' not 'attack'.
This follows the same logic that a CA stands for 'heavy cruiser'.  The
rationale behind this was to distinguish between the larger and smaller
carriers.  I have never heard of CVAN, but I have heard of nuclear
carriers being refered to as CVA's.  Maybe since all modern heavy carriers
are nuclear, they viewed it as being redundant to include the 'N'.

Sean Conway

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (05/18/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>If I remember correctly, the 'A' in CVA stands for 'heavy' not 'attack'.
>This follows the same logic that a CA stands for 'heavy cruiser'.  The
>rationale behind this was to distinguish between the larger and smaller
>carriers.  I have never heard of CVAN, but I have heard of nuclear
>carriers being refered to as CVA's.  Maybe since all modern heavy carriers
>are nuclear, they viewed it as being redundant to include the 'N'.

Actually, "CA" stands for "Armored Crusier", not "Heavy Cruiser."  CVA
stood for "attack aircraft carrier" and reflected the Navy's
modifications made to Essex/Hancock class carriers during the 50's and
60's.  Some were converted into dedicated ASW carriers, hence they
became CVS's.  Those that maintained their oringinal mission were
designated CVA's.  "CV" stands for "multi-mission aircraft carrier" and
a "CVN" is the same, but nuclear powered.  Originally, the Enterprise
and the units of the Nimitz class were not going to be equipped with ASW
aircraft, hence their original designation as CVAN's.  Once the S-3 was
developed in the early 70's, this thinking was changed and the nuc
carriers became CVN's.

Also, there are fewer nuclear powered heavy carriers than conventional
ones (Conventional:  Midway, Forrestal, Independence, Saratoga, Ranger,
Constellation, Kitty Hawk, America, John. F. Kennedy.  Nuclear:
Enterprise, Nimitz, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Carl Vinson, Theodore
Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln.  There are two CVN's under construction and
one planned.  They are the George Washington, John C. Stennis, and
United States respectively.

--
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 2/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or 1069 Morewood Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA  15213

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (05/20/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>If I remember correctly, the 'A' in CVA stands for 'heavy' not 'attack'.
>This follows the same logic that a CA stands for 'heavy cruiser'.  The
>rationale behind this was to distinguish between the larger and smaller
>carriers.

This is when the Navy ship classification becomes confusing.  CVA does
stand for attack aircraft carrier.  CA does stand for heavy cruiser.
Don't ask me why...

>I have never heard of CVAN, but I have heard of nuclear carriers being
>refered to as CVA's.

[From] 1972 onward attack aircraft carriers (CVA) were reclassified as
aircraft carriers (CV) upon being fitted with anti-submarine control
centers and facilities to support A/S aircraft and helicopters (in addition
to fighter/attack aircraft).  The multi-purpose configuration was dictated
by the hasing out of dedicated anti-submarine aircraft carriers (CVS),
the last being decommissioned in 1974.

All active ships still classified as attack aircraft carriers (CVA/CVAN)
on 30 June 1975 were changed to CV/CVN regardless of their ability to
support anti-submarine aircraft.

Source: Jane's Fighting Ships 1990-91

Steve Williams

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (05/20/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>Actually, "CA" stands for "Armored Crusier", not "Heavy Cruiser."

CA defined as "armoured cruiser" - I can't find anything to support
your statement. This term might have been used unofficially, who knows?

CA used to be "heavy cruiser"; now it is called "gun cruiser."
(now, isn't it getting more confusing?)

There are two CAs in the U.S. Navy:

	     USS DES MOINES (CA-134)
	     USS SALEM      (CA-139)

These cruisers are largest and most powerful 8 in gun cruisers ever
built.  Completed too late for the Second World War, they were employed
primarily as flagships for the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean and
the Second Fleet in the Atlantic.  SALEM was decommissioned on 30 January
1959 and DES MOINES on 14 July 1961.  Both laid up at Philadelphia.

At one stage their reactivation in lieu of MISSOURI (BB 63) and WISCONSIN
(BB 64) was under active consideration by Congress without any support
from the Defense department.  It was eventually dropped when proved
to be "non-cost-effective."

1985-86 and 1990-91 editions of Jane's Fighting Ships define CA as gun
cruiser; 1974-75 edition of Jane's Fighting Ship defines CA as heavy
cruiser.

Source: Jane's Fighting Ship 1974-75, 1985-86 & 1990-91

Steve Williams

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (05/21/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>This is when the Navy ship classification becomes confusing.  CVA does
>stand for attack aircraft carrier.  CA does stand for heavy cruiser.
>Don't ask me why...

My understanding of Navy abbreviations goes like this.

When numerical designations were first given to ships (in the late 19th
century, I think) cruisers (like the USS Olympia, now a museum at
Philadelphia) were given the designation "C".  When new design cruisers
were given armor protection, they were called "armored cruisers", hence
the designation "CA."  When the last of the original C's was retired,
they were replaced by ships that carried a "CL" designation, or "light
cruiser."  This is probably when "armored cruisers" became "heavy
cruisers" but the "A" still stands for armored, not heavy.  There were
also "CB"'s or "battlecruisers".

--

thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley) (05/21/91)

From: plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley)

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) writes:
>>Actually, "CA" stands for "Armored Crusier", not "Heavy Cruiser."
>
>CA defined as "armoured cruiser" - I can't find anything to support
>your statement. This term might have been used unofficially, who knows?

You have to get into some old stuff for this.  Originally, the Navy
had armored cruisers, protected cruisers, scout cruisers, and peace
cruisers (I refer of course to the New Navy put together in the
1890s).  Early this century, they switched designations to armored
and light cruisers.  The original 8"-gunned cruisers were designated
as light cruisers, since they were indeed a logical outgrowth of the
WWI and following light cruisers; with the armored cruisers gone and
the 1930 London naval treaty distinction between heavy (8" gun) and
light (6" gun) cruisers, the heavy cruisers were reclassified as
CAs.

DHT