[sci.military] Quick Guide to Ship Designations

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (05/19/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

	[Clip and save! --CDR]

With all the discussion going on over ship types, I thought that this
might be helpful:

AD	Destroyer Tender
AE	Ammunition Ship
AFS	Combat Stores Ship
AGF	Command Ship
AGOS	Ocean Surveillance Ship
AH	Hospital Ship
AK	Dry Cargo Ship
AKR	Vehicle Cargo Ship
AO	Fleet Oiler
AOE	Fast Combat Support Ship
AOR	Replenishment Oiler
AP	Troop Ship
AR	Repair Ship
ARS	Salvage Ship
AS	Submarine Tender
ASR	Submarine Rescue Ship
ATF	Fleet Tug
AVB	Aviation Support Ship
BB	Battleship
CA	Armored Cruiser
CG	Guided Missile Cruiser
CGN	Guided Missile Cruiser, Nuclear Powered
CV	Multimission Aircraft Carrier
CVN	Multimission Aircraft Carrier, Nuclear Powered
DD	Destroyer
DDG	Guided Missile Destroyer
FF	Frigate
FFG	Guided Missile Frigate
LCC	Amphibious Command Ship
LHA	General Purpose Amphibious Assault Ship
LHD	General Purpose Amphibious Assault Ship
LKA	Amphibious Cargo Ship
LPD	Amphibious Transport Dock
LPH	Helicopter Landing Ship
LSD	Dock Landing Ship
LST	Tank Landing Ship
PHM	Missile Carrying Patrol Hydrofoil
SSBN	Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine, Nuclear Powered
SSN	Fast Attack Submarine, Nuclear Powered

There are many others, but these are the major ones as I remember them.
Any designation preceded by a "T-" means that the vessel is operated by
the Military Sealift Command.

--
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 2/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or 1069 Morewood Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA  15213

ed@visix.com (05/22/91)

From: ed@visix.com

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:
> AGF	Command Ship
> AGOS	Ocean Surveillance Ship

In between these should go AGFF - Research Frigate, currently a 1-ship type, the
former USS Glover (FF-????), now decommed and part of the Military Sealift
Command, spending its time testing 'stuff', as my brother (her OIC) describes it.

--
ed devinney						ed@visix.com
Visix Software Inc., Reston, VA				...!uunet!visix!ed