[sci.military] Gulf Lessons re length of ppeliminary bombardment

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (05/23/91)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)

phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>A cruise missile is
>just a slow, small airplane, it should be possible to shoot them down.

A small, low-radar profile airplane which hugs the ground and gets lost in
clutter. Not so easy to shoot them down.

>B-52s of course are sitting ducks.

IF they operate in a "clean" electronic environment sure. If you have EF-111
jammers blocking radars, F-117s targeting command centers, and F-4Gs launching
on anything which emits a SAM pulse, they aren't so bad at all.

>A desert war is probably the best conditions that are possible for air
>power. I suspect that we will never again see air power play such a
>decisive role in future conflicts.

Next-generation weapons, with longer stand-off range and better accuracy
promise to make air power more lethal. Our greatest sin was not building enough
"smart" weapons.

SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU