[sci.military] F-22 vs F-23 engines

jvz@uunet.UU.NET (John V. Zambito) (05/21/91)

From: ccicpg!cci632.cci.com!jvz@uunet.UU.NET (John V. Zambito)

Referring to MACHINE DESIGN March 7, 1991:
Starting on page 56:

	The author talks about two separate decisions. Selection of
the YF-22 or the YF-23 and Pratt & Whitney's YF119 or GE's YF120 engine.
"Each team has designed and built two prototypes, one configured with
Pratt & Whitney engines, the other with GE's." Yet, this group always
discusses the Northrop/GE plane versus the lockeed/PW (I hope I have
that right) face off. Was it two separate decisions or what?
	The article has a great picture of testing the agterburner on the
F119 engine.

rqdms@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov (05/24/91)

From: rqdms@lims05.lerc.nasa.gov

ccicpg!cci632.cci.com!jvz@uunet.UU.NET (John V. Zambito) writes...
>	The author talks about two separate decisions. Selection of
>the YF-22 or the YF-23 and Pratt & Whitney's YF119 or GE's YF120 engine.
>"Each team has designed and built two prototypes, one configured with
>Pratt & Whitney engines, the other with GE's." Yet, this group always
>discusses the Northrop/GE plane versus the lockeed/PW (I hope I have
>that right) face off. Was it two separate decisions or what?

Yes, it *was* two decisions -- one for the airframe, one for the engine (or
one decision evaluating all four combinations of airframe and engine, if
you prefer to look at it that way).

Your confusion may result from the fact that there was contractor "teaming"
on both competing airframes.  Lockheed, Boeing, and General Dynamics
collaborated on the winning YF-22, and Northrup and McDonnell-Douglas built
the YF-23.  Adding two engine contractors to the soup makes for an
interesting evaluation, no ??  :-}

--
Dennis Stockert              *           Air Force Liaison
rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov   *      NASA Lewis Research Center