[sci.military] F-22 vs F-23 3rd Part

carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au (Carlo Kopp) (05/16/91)

From: Carlo Kopp <carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au>

Topic:

Why did the USAF make the decision it did and select the Lockheed and Pratt's
designs in preference to the Northrop and GE designs ?

The decision criteria for selection were pretty broad and covered performance
and ability to meet the design spec, ability to meet manufacturer's internal
spec, price, life-cycle-cost and development risk. The USAF have stated that
the criterion of industrial base was not important, but informed sources
advise me that this was not entirely true and that the USAF looked at the
issue very seriously.

On the strength of what has been published about both aircraft and engines,
the US taxpayer would have gotten an excellent deal in terms of system
performance with either aircraft, they are both top performers. The final
comparison appears as such:

1.Performance

Both aircraft apparently met the USAF's performance specs. Northrop were a
bit faster, longer ranging and stealthier, whereas Lockheed were a bit more
manoeuvrable. It appears that the performance margins between both types were
not dramatic.

The GE engine performed somewhat better in the trials than the P&W engine,
but the final P&W proposal included an enlarged fan and hence higher thrust
for production aircraft, presumably equalising the difference.

2.Price

Apparently Lockheed and P&W were cheaper, by how much does not appear to have
been published anywhere (anybody know ?)

3.Development Risk

Northrop were penalised in a number of areas. Firstly Lockheed did more
aggressive flying (played their politics right by doing it very visibly)
during the dem/val program and demoed high AoA manoeuvres and missile
launches well in excess of nominal dem/val requirements.

Secondly Lockheed built a very conservative airframe design with very
conservative materials, ie an F-15/F-18ish almost hybrid planform geometry
using a lot of aluminium and titanium alloys, unlike Northrop who opted for
cca 50% empty weight in composites, using a very stealthy airframe geometry,
never used before in a fighter.

Thirdly Lockheed did not suffer the development pain which Northrop did with
their stealthy exhaust ducts. The lining of the YF-23 exhausts is a laminated
alloy structure full of tiny cooling holes fed by engine bleed air. It was
apparently rather heavy and may have required major design changes to bring
it to production. Also the main weapon bays of the YF-23 apparently stacked
the Amraams vertically and the USAF were unhappy about the potential for jams
in the launcher mechanism preventing the firing of subsequent missiles.

Northrop, true to their tradition, created a showpiece of the state of the
art in technology - ie a high performance truly all aspect stealth airframe
with better speed/range performance and bigger weapon bays than its rival.
The price of innovation was the loss of the contract, as the YF-23 combines a
lot of new ideas which have never been used before. Whereas the Lockheed F-22
is clearly an evolutionary development of current aerodynamic/stealth
technology, the Northrop YF-23 is very much revolutionary. Therefore risky.

Similarly, the P&W engine was conservative, whereas the GE engine was a
radical variable bypass ratio design never used in production before.

4.Industrial Base

MDC and Northrop have ongoing commitments for the C-17, F/A-18 and B-2
respectively, whereas Lockheed and GD don't really have any real military
projects left once the P-3 and F-16 are completely closed. Similarly GE will
be building F110s and F404s for F-16 and F-18 production to the end of the
decade, whereas P&W only have the F100 for which the biggest user, the USAF
F-15 force, is unlikely to seek additional purchases.

Therefore, a decision to buy Northrop/GE could have seen both Lockheed and
P&W end up shutting down their military airframe/engine businesses around the
end of the decade.

Summary

The US taxpayer is getting the cheaper and more predictable product with some
penalty in top end performance and long term performance growth potential.

The USAF however had NO choice in this matter as the Administration killed
the A-12 Avenger in January due cost overruns resulting from high risk R&D.
By killing off the radical but high performance A-12, the Administration set
a clear precedent. The A-12 was considered a very secure project politically
because its cancellation would mess up Navy deployment plans for the next
decade (the A-6Es are very old, basic airframe design 1958) and cause all
sorts of problems.

In comparison with the A-12, the ATF was considered politically expendable as
it is seen (incorrectly in my opinion) as a dedicated killer of PVO/VVS
aircraft, while the F-15s will remain viable for at least another decade.

As a result, the USAF had no choice than to pursue the lowest risk design
options regardless of any other criteria. As it turns out, both Lockheed and
P&W were desperate enough to submit lower bids and hence the decision could
not have really gone the other way. If the USAF chose the F-23 and it got
into difficulties say in 1994 due R&D problems, it would almost certainly die
the death of the A-12. Politicians generally seem to have little respect for
air warfare strategy.

As for the future of the F-23, it may not end up being adopted by the Navy
simply because the Navy is having real money problems, ie buying F-18s
instead of its preferred F-14s. Therefore the Navy is unlikely to buy any
Naval ATFs until the end of the decade, by which time the Lockheed product
will have matured whereas the Northrop one will have sat on the shelf.

Alternative roles for the airframe could be theatre strike and reconnaisance,
but it is basically too good an airframe for these jobs and hence cheaper
options could be found.

Final Observation: politics is always a stronger decision criterion than
technology or air warfare strategy

Carlo Kopp
carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au
Defence Writer
Aerospace Publications

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (05/17/91)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)

carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au (Carlo Kopp) writes:
On YF-22 vs YF-23 selection:

>The decision criteria for selection were pretty broad and covered performance
>and ability to meet the design spec, ability to meet manufacturer's internal
>spec, price, life-cycle-cost and development risk.

Both manufacturers management teams were examined. The Lockheed-lead team was
better organized and had a solid approach to most aspects of the project.
Northrop's cost-overruns and managerial problems with the B-2 program did not
help.

>MDC and Northrop have ongoing commitments for the C-17, F/A-18 and B-2
>respectively,

The B-2 is not a sure thing. The F/A-18 is a maybe; Grumman will fight for
production of versions of the F-14 over beating on the F/A-18E/F for an A-12
interm replacement.

>The USAF however had NO choice in this matter as the Administration killed
>the A-12 Avenger in January due cost overruns resulting from high risk R&D.
>By killing off the radical but high performance A-12, the Administration set
>a clear precedent.

The A-12 was a poorly managed program, and General Dynamics had little previous
experience with large composite structures. Two high-ranking Navy officers were
not cashed in for the failure of high risk R&D.

>As a result, the USAF had no choice than to pursue the lowest risk design
>options regardless of any other criteria.

>If the USAF chose the F-23 and it got
>into difficulties say in 1994 due R&D problems, it would almost certainly die
>the death of the A-12. Politicians generally seem to have little respect for
>air warfare strategy.

The full price tag on the ATF program puts it into jeopardy over the long run,
regardless. There might be no more than one or two "silver bullet" squadrons
built. You can't built $100 million/copy planes by the hundreds without
something else being sacrificed.

USAF also has to provide for the MultiRole Fighter, a replacement for the F-16,
over the next 5 years. Development for it won't be cheap.

>As for the future of the F-23, it may not end up being adopted by the Navy
>simply because the Navy is having real money problems, ie buying F-18s
>instead of its preferred F-14s.

Wahhhhh? The F-23 will never, ever be put on a carrier; its low-speed
characteristics stick compared to the F-22, and you'd need serious money to
strengthen the landing gear and get the wings to fold on it...

> Therefore the Navy is unlikely to buy any
>Naval ATFs until the end of the decade, by which time the Lockheed product
>will have matured whereas the Northrop one will have sat on the shelf.

>Alternative roles for the airframe could be theatre strike and reconnaisance,

That's goofy. The A-12 was going to be the ATA for the Air Force. You'll note
the lack of external hardpoints and internal carriage on the F-23.

>Final Observation: politics is always a stronger decision criterion than
>technology or air warfare strategy

No, affordability and price are. Had this project been run in the '70s, it is
quite likely the YF-23 would have been selected. Today, because we do not have
deep pockets, the bottom line must be watched.

--
SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU

zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton) (05/18/91)

From: apctrc!zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton)

First, I thought the article analyzing the two competing ATF designs
was wonderful.  That's why I read this newsgroup.  Thanks.

Second, what ARE the Navy's future aircraft plans now that the A-12 is
dead?  Are they going to try and adapt the ATF (which could be
difficult for a number of reasons, but also have many advantages IF
they could succeed)?

Do they have any other designs in the wings (ha ha) or are they going
to make do with the F-18 and the Harrier?  Last I heard, the F-14 was
already half-way out the door.

-Randy

carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au (Carlo Kopp) (05/22/91)

From: Carlo Kopp <carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au>

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>Both manufacturers management teams were examined. The Lockheed-lead team was
>better organized and had a solid approach to most aspects of the project.
>Northrop's cost-overruns and managerial problems with the B-2 program did not
>help.

That is very much the Administration's party line on the matter. I
think you may want to look at a broader range of sources before you
make that kind of unqualified assertion.

>The B-2 is not a sure thing. The F/A-18 is a maybe; Grumman will fight for
>production of versions of the F-14 over beating on the F/A-18E/F for an A-12
>interm replacement.

Again you ought to review your facts. There are outstanding commitments
to F/A-18C purchases regardless of the E/F model. The Navy appears to
have accepted the loss of new F-14D production in favour of F/A-18E/Fs
simply for reasons of cost (total life cycle cost in this instance -
notwithstanding Grumman's recent proposals for reduced purchase price),
ie it cannot afford more F-14Ds, AX development, F/A-18E/Fs, further
F/A-18C/Ds and initial NATF funding.

Insofar as the B-2 goes, in terms of its development program it is
actually a rather mature design due the major airframe design revisions
carried out during the mid eighties in order to strengthen  the
airframe for low altitude penetration. The only problem the B-2 has at
this time are grandstanding politicians to whom stealth is dangerous
black magic and who stand to gain political points by killing the
project.

>The A-12 was a poorly managed program, and General Dynamics had little previous
>experience with large composite structures. Two high-ranking Navy officers were
>not cashed in for the failure of high risk R&D.

The  A-12 program had similar problems to the sixties TFX program -
weight and integration. In all fairness these are generic to any large
airframe project where you are pushing the technology of the day to the
limit. Add to that the compartmentalising of the management structure
to accommodate the secrecy requirements of a 'black' program and you
are guaranteed to have problems.

Anyone with any project management experience will have many instances to
tell of - the less experience exists with a given technology, the less
predictable your project timing and costs. Having been there myself, I know.

Again, I suggest you look at some alternate sources and perhaps get the
contractors' story - I'm not convinced that the party line is the whole story
as you seem to imply.

>The full price tag on the ATF program puts it into jeopardy over the long run,
>regardless. There might be no more than one or two "silver bullet" squadrons
>built. You can't built $100 million/copy planes by the hundreds without
>something else being sacrificed.
>USAF also has to provide for the MultiRole Fighter, a replacement for the F-16,
>over the next 5 years. Development for it won't be cheap.

Please tell the group where you acquired the two squadron number from ? I am
certainly very interested.

>Wahhhhh? The F-23 will never, ever be put on a carrier; its low-speed
>characteristics stick compared to the F-22, and you'd need serious money to
>strengthen the landing gear and get the wings to fold on it...

An interesting assertion - I hope you can support it. Lockheed
certainly thought the F-22's approach configuration speed/handling
sufficiently unsuited to CV ops to propose a Variable Geometry (ie
swing wing) NATF derivative airframe to meet the Navy's weight/speed
recovery requirements.

The Northrop airframe has substantially greater lifting area and
reportedly much lower approach speeds than it competitor - also some of
Northrop's key flight test/development personnel have Navy backgrounds
which will have necessarily reflected in preferred handling
characteristics.

Where the Lockheed aircraft has been reported as better handling than
the Northrop design is in the high AoA low speed (ie 200-350 kt IAS)
range where its hybrid planform and big tails work to an advantage. At
low AoA and IAS < 180 kt ie dirty approach configuration the hybrid
planform does not offer dramatically superior lift/drag performance to
other wings with similar low aspect ratio and sweepback.

>> Therefore the Navy is unlikely to buy any
>>Naval ATFs until the end of the decade, by which time the Lockheed product
>>will have matured whereas the Northrop one will have sat on the shelf.
>
>>Alternative roles for the airframe could be theatre strike and reconnaisance,
>
>That's goofy. The A-12 was going to be the ATA for the Air Force. You'll note
>the lack of external hardpoints and internal carriage on the F-23.

On the contrary. The USAF was never very keen on the ATA (and probably
shed no tears over its demise) as it didn't fit the USAF's paradigm of
a tactical fighter. In practical terms, all the ATA offered what the
F-117A didn't have was better payload radius and all weather radar
nav/attack.

The USAF's principal deep strike interdictors, the F-111 and F-15E are
both aircraft with the speed and payload radius of a long range air
superiority airframe. Your assertion that the lack of external
hardpoints and internal munition carriage would prevent the YF-23 from
being developed for deep interdiction is irrational.

Firstly the nominal weapon load of any deep strike interdictor today is
set at two 2,000 lb class GBU-10 or GBU-24/27 semi-active laser homing
munitions. These typically require 15 ft + of weapon bay length which
isn't much more than an AIM-120 Amraam occupies. I suspect (can anybody
confirm this ?) that the existing central weapon bay of the YF-23 is
close to these dimensions, certainly big enough to accommodate the
smaller 1,000 lb Paveway munitions.

Secondly, the payload/radius performance of the ATF is easily in the
class of the F-111 and would not be hurt at all by internal munition
carriage.

Were the mission profile not to require the use of afterburner, the
design of the (hypothetical) YA/F-23 could be lighter and cheaper due
to the resulting simplification of the exhaust trough and tailpipe
design. The airframe would still retain supersonic capability, less the
1.4:1 thrust/weight ratio needed for dogfights.

Theatre reconnaisance is another role which requires speed and range
and if possible, stealthiness. Fitting the central weapon bay with a
sensor and fuel pallet would provide an upgrade path without major
airframe changes.

>>Final Observation: politics is always a stronger decision criterion than
>>technology or air warfare strategy
>
>No, affordability and price are. Had this project been run in the '70s, it is
>quite likely the YF-23 would have been selected. Today, because we do not have
>deep pockets, the bottom line must be watched.

Nice, but you're promoting the party line again. I suggest you take a
serious look at the real decisionmaking criteria which apply on large
defence projects. It is a bit more complex than what you might read
about in AvLeak. You might want to talk to some project managers
employed by defence contractors.

Carlo Kopp
carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au

zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton) (05/22/91)

From: apctrc!zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton)

Carlo Kopp <carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au> ...
>The only problem the B-2 has at
>this time are grandstanding politicians to whom stealth is dangerous
>black magic and who stand to gain political points by killing the
>project.

I Write ..

Uhh, that is hardly established fact.  In fact., many of us think that
the best way to spend the 30 BILLION it will take to finish building
the 75 planes that the current plans call for is to not build them, and
spend it instead on new planes for the Navy (which has a great need) or
spend it on SDI (which congress keeps cutting) or spend it on air-lift
(re: Desert Weirdness) or spend it on re-establishing an industrial
base.

If you want to bomb someone, use cruise missiles.  At 1 million per
copy, you can buy 300 per B-2.  That 30 BILION should buy 30,000 cruise
missiles, and we have no shortage of platforms to launch them from.

But please don't tell me about B-2 cruises mearliy chasing thru the
Russian countryside looking for targets of oportunity.  I don't recall
the B-52's over Iraq doing so, and Russia in a B-2 has to be a less
safe place then Iraq in a B-52.  (Since no B-52's were shot down, I
feel safe in saying this.)

-Randy

[Double .signature deleted. --CDR]

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: apctrc!zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton)
>But please don't tell me about B-2 cruises mearliy chasing thru the
>Russian countryside looking for targets of oportunity...

Officially it's supposed to cruise merrily around looking for mobile
missiles.  Some doubts have been raised about this recently :-), since
the USAF's finest didn't do too well at that in Iraq, despite much more
favorable conditions.  It turns out that this is just a rediscovery of
WW2 experience; I was re-reading "The Rocket Team" the other day and
found its descriptions of massive -- and quite unsuccessful -- efforts
made to find and attack mobile V-2 launchers quite relevant.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry