[sci.military] Looking for graduate program in Soviet Military Science

mangin@brahms.udel.edu (Jeff Mangin) (05/22/91)

From: mangin@brahms.udel.edu (Jeff Mangin)

I am an ROTC cadet at the University of Delaware majoring in
Russian Studies.

I am presently looking for a graduate program in Soviet Military
Science.  I have talked to several professors and officers about
such programs, but few knew much about any.  If anyone has information
about any related program, I would appreciate the information.

I have heard about programs at Columbia, Stanford, and Yale; but I
am more interested in programs outside the Ivy League schools.

Please send replies to:

        mangin@brahms.udel.edu

Thank you for any information.

Mark Wilson

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (05/24/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: mangin@brahms.udel.edu (Jeff Mangin)
> I am an ROTC cadet at the University of Delaware majoring in
> Russian Studies.
> I am presently looking for a graduate program in Soviet Military Science.

NATO operates an Institute for Advanced Russian Studies (or some title
like that) at Hawkins Barracks, Oberammergau, Germany for NATO officers.
(or they did when I was there - 1982 - may not be in operation today.)

Are you aware of the Foreign Area Officer program?  (Are you Army ROTC?)
After commissioning in your basic branch (Infantry, Armor, Finance) and
about 5 years into your career - you get a Secondary Skill assigned -
FAO is one of them.  This prepares officers for Military Attache' duties
in embassies.  You get extensive advanced schooling in your language and
graduate schooling in your 'country'.

'Course after all that schooling - you'll probably be assigned as the
assistant G5 at Fort Riley, Kansas.  :-)

mike schmitt

wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (Sande Wallfesh) (05/24/91)

From: Sande Wallfesh <wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil>

> I am presently looking for a graduate program in Soviet Military
> Science.  I have talked to several professors and officers about
> such programs, but few knew much about any.  If anyone has information

An appendix in "Handbook for Strategic Intelligence Analysis" contains
a list of some courses germane to strategic analysis. In the Eastern
Europe and the USSR subsection in the section on Area Studies, two courses
appear which may be of interest:

	* Soviet Military Policy and Strategy,
	  George Washington University, PS 269

	* Introduction to Soviet Armed Forces,
	  Defense Intelligence College, SA462

Although that handbook was published in 1983 and course names or numbers
may have changed since then, those institutions may merit inquiry. While
such courses doesn't imply that they have entire programs, speaking with
the professors who teach them may prove worthwhile.

Saundra K. Wallfesh      |   "If it's stupid but works, it isn't
Dynamics Research        |    stupid."        -- Amphibious Warfare
wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil   |                       Review, Spring '89