[sci.military] Military reference books

zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif) (04/24/91)

From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)

	I am looking for a book which rates all of the MBTs,
aircrafts, APCs, etc.   Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

	[The definitive guide is probably the Jane's All the World's
	 (fill in the blank) series.  Ask your friendly librarian.  -- CDR]
--
NorAazizam MohdAAsif         || ARPA   - zam@athena.mit.edu
Goodale 104, 3 Ames St       || BITNET - zam%mit@mitvma.mit.edu

smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (05/17/91)

From: smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov

In zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif) writes...
>	I am looking for a book which rates all of the MBTs,
>aircrafts, APCs, etc.   Any help is greatly appreciated.

A good intro booklet about all aspects of the Gulf war is by Frank
Chadwick of GDW, "Gulf War Fact Book". It has 104 pages and costs $10.
It has a chapter called 'The Tools' and has subsections on Coalition
and Iraqi tanks, tank killers, Coalition and Iraqi light AFVs, field
artillery, Coalition and Iraqi aircraft, etc.

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim) (05/17/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim)

>	[The definitive guide is probably the Jane's All the World's
>	 (fill in the blank) series.  Ask your friendly librarian.  -- CDR]

For warships, Jane's departs from their usual naming pattern, using
the name "Jane's Fighting Ships". (Actually since this book was
published long before most of the other Jane's guides, the other
titles should be considered departures in naming style.) Be warned
though, Jane's has a reputation for being expensive. I guess I
shouldn't be surprised, since so many copies are bought by companies
and governments.

If you are a USNI member, buying "Combat Fleets of the World" is a
good alternative. Although it is not as well known, it almost as good
and less than half the price with USNI member discount.

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273

thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley) (05/19/91)

From: plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley)

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim) writes:
>For warships, Jane's departs from their usual naming pattern, using
>the name "Jane's Fighting Ships". (Actually since this book was
>published long before most of the other Jane's guides, the other
>titles should be considered departures in naming style.) Be warned

To nitpick, I have a replica copy of the 1898 Jane's All the World's
Fighting Ships, but my 1905-1906 replica copy is Jane's Fighting
Ships.  Therefore, Fighting Ships is the departure from the naming style.

DHT

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (05/28/91)

From: christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson)

Seeing all the postings re mil. ref. books, I am reminded of a recent
article in the New York Times, which said that the Soviets are
contributing (for a fee) to the next crop of military reference books.
The implication is that more or better information will soon be coming
out, especially about aircraft (one commentator said this goes along
with their desire to sell the aircraft abroad) and tanks.  Also, many
new photos, especially of Soviet aircraft in flight, will soon be
released.  (One publisher came right out & said it was because he was
paying the Soviets in foreign currency, wouldn't say how much...).

Chris Thompson