[sci.military] Torpedoes

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (07/09/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <1990Jul5.020313.13721@cbnews.att.com> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
>Generally, you can only put one homing torpedo in the water at once
>because another one will interfere with the first. Each one has to
>run its course before launching another.

Note, what I am talking about here are active homing torpedoes.
Theoretically, passive homing torpedoes might not be subject to this
problem, but many submarines today are quiet enough that passive
homing is not practical.

In article <1990Jul6.032915.28154@cbnews.att.com> al.weaver@rose.uucp writes:
>So that's why I can only fire one torpedo at a time in 688 Attack
>Sub! It was long wait to find out if the torpedo hit, and by then the
>Kirov destroyer would have got within depth charge range and would
>blow one to smithereens! I was used to firing a spread in Silent
>Service. One would usually hit. :-)

I know absolutely nothing about the "688 Attack Sub" game, but it
seems overly restrictive to only allow you to have one torpedo running
at a time. From the title of the game, I assume you command an LA
class SSN. (Most information given below comes from "World Naval
Weapon Systems" by Naval Institute Press.)

The LA class SSNs (and Improved LA) use Mk48 torpedoes. The Mk48 can
be fired in active homing, passive homing, non-acoustic (ie straight
or pattern running) and wire-guided modes. Thus, unless you always
fire in homing modes, the torpedo technology will not prevent you from
firing more than one at the same target. In particular, I was under
the impression that most firings were done in wire-guided modes to
allow operator control. (In the case of the Mk48, the operator can
also receive the torpedo sonar information.) Radical maneuvers or
purposely cutting the wires (ie reloading the tube) can cause the
link to be severed, in which case, I assume the torpedo reverts to a
homing mode. (The Mk48 has two wires to lower to possibility of
accidental link loss.)

Also, the non-acoustic mode allows firing a spread. Though, I think,
this would be considered to be a wasteful tactic.

I think some early LA class boats got the Mk117 Fire Control System.
These were probably later upgraded to use Combat Control System (CCS)
Mk1 either as a standalone system or as part of BSY-1. Some late
models may have CCS Mk2. I am not sure, but I think all of these
allowed controlling of more than one wire-guided torpedo. For example,
the Weapons Order Subsystem (WOS) of CCS Mk1, had two attack director
consoles and two torpedo control consoles.

The real life Kirov BCGN has four ASW weapon types: the RBUs (rocket
propelled depth charges), tube launched ASW homing torpedos, Silex
(missile with ASW homing torpedo) and ASW helos (which drop ASW homing
torpedos). The first two are pretty short range. The last two have a
lot longer ranges. The Mk48 should be able to out range the first two
and can move a lot faster than the Kirov.

-ted

Ted Kim
UCLA Computer Science Department  Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
3804C Boelter Hall                UUCP:    ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
Los Angeles, CA 90024		  Phone:   (213) 206-8696

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (07/10/90)

From: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy)

In article <1990Jul9.023926.10161@cbnews.att.com> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) writes:
|The real life Kirov BCGN has four ASW weapon types: the RBUs (rocket
|propelled depth charges), tube launched ASW homing torpedos, Silex
|(missile with ASW homing torpedo) and ASW helos (which drop ASW homing
|torpedos). The first two are pretty short range. The last two have a
|lot longer ranges. The Mk48 should be able to out range the first two
|and can move a lot faster than the Kirov.

Only the _Kirov_ has the SS-N-14 "Silex" launchers; the _Frunze_ and
_Kalinin_ have SA-N-9 SAM launchers where the SS-N-14 launcher was on
the _Kirov_.

 Sean Malloy                                   | "What are these . . . whores-
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | doovers?"
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | "Or-dervs. It's a Frog word
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | that means munchies."

rcm@mtuxo.att.com (R Craig Montero) (07/10/90)

From: rcm@mtuxo.att.com (R Craig Montero)
In article <1990Jul9.023926.10161@cbnews.att.com> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) writes:

>In article <1990Jul6.032915.28154@cbnews.att.com> al.weaver@rose.uucp writes:
>>So that's why I can only fire one torpedo at a time in 688 Attack
>>Sub!
Just a brief point about the game (if the moderator permits), you are
able to fire a salvo of four torpedoes in the version I have used.
Be sure you fill all four torpedo tubes on the weapons panel.

>... that most firings were done in wire-guided modes to
>allow operator control. (In the case of the Mk48, the operator can
>also receive the torpedo sonar information.) Radical maneuvers or
>purposely cutting the wires (ie reloading the tube) can cause the
>link to be severed, in which case, I assume the torpedo reverts to a
>homing mode. (The Mk48 has two wires to lower to possibility of
>accidental link loss.)
During the summer of '76 while serving as a middie on a 637 long
hull boat, we were equipped with the then brand new and classified
Mk48 torpedo. At that time the weapon was only launched in the wire
guided mode and due to limitations of the fire control system only
two torpedoes could be in the water at a time. Of course, based on
the contractor's information, one Mk48 would take out anything up to
the Kiev class cruiser 8-), so there would never be any need to
launch more than one at any given target.

R. Craig Montero
AT&T Bell Labs
mtuxo!rcm

	insert STANDARD DISCLAIMER  here

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim) (05/29/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim)

buckland@ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) writes:
>Are modern torpedos available in a specialized type for this kind of
>armor-piercing role, in the same way that tanks carry rounds
>specifically designed to penetrate the armor of other tanks?

As other posters have mentioned, most modern anti-ship or heavy ASW
torpedoes do not rely on armor piercing designs. However, in recent
years, some HEAT warhead light ASW torpedo designs have appeared (eg
Mk50 Barracuda). Apparently, these designs were in response to concerns
in the West that light ASW torpedoes may not be able to take out some
of the more modern Soviet submarine designs, which may have
exceptionally strong hulls (for very deep operating depths) and large
standoff gaps between outer and inner hulls. For example, in the Oscar
class SSGN, there is a very large space between inner and outer hulls
used to mount its cruise missile cannisters.

--
Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek