[sci.military] B-2 capability as mobile missile hunter

fcrary@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/25/91)

From: fcrary@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary)

apctrc!zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton) writes:
>But please don't tell me about B-2 cruises mearliy chasing thru the
>Russian countryside looking for targets of oportunity.  I don't recall
>the B-52's over Iraq doing so, and Russia in a B-2 has to be a less
>safe place then Iraq in a B-52.  (Since no B-52's were shot down, I
>feel safe in saying this.)

There are a few things to consider about the B-2 supposed advantage
over cruise missiles. In theory, the B-2 could overfly the Soviet
Union, during a nuclear war, searching for and destroying MOBILE
missiles. These missiles could not be targeted by a ballistic or cruise
missile, since their location is not known in advance. However there
are several problems with this, which I hope someone out there may be
able to clarify.

First, I had heard that the B-2's ability to find such targets quickly
and easily depended on new, specially developed sensors (passive and
stealthy I would assume) that could detect mobile missiles 50 to 100
miles away. This, combined with their low observability design would
permit them to search for targets. But, as I recall, these sensors do
not, as yet, exist. They are still under development. If this is the
case, why does the USAF want the aircraft in production as soon as
possible? Why not wait on the sensor technology?

Second, according to Aviation Week, finding Scud (SS-1B-mod) mobile
missiles in a flat, good visability desert required constant or near
constant Combat Air Partols of F-15E's. These aircraft would
IMMEDIATELY attack a launcher as soon as it was detected. (apparently
the time required for a TR-1/E-8/ whatever to report a target, the
F-15's to fly out and hit the target, was long enough that the launcher
could move away.) In addition to the F-15's numerous supporting
aircraft were used to detect the launchers. With all this effort, and
the total air supperiority required to do it safely, All of the
launchers were not destroied. Most survived for several weeks. Given
this experience in the dificulty of finding and killing mobile missile
launchers, has there been any rethinking of the B-2's purpose and its
ability to accomplish its mission?

Frank Crary

wb9omc@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (05/30/91)

From: wb9omc@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)

fcrary@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) writes:
>not, as yet, exist. They are still under development. If this is the
>case, why does the USAF want the aircraft in production as soon as
>possible? Why not wait on the sensor technology?

Easy.  The longer you wait to produce it, the more expensive
it gets, inflation and all.  Second, the longer you wait, the more
waffling that congress will do on whether or not to fund it.

>this experience in the dificulty of finding and killing mobile missile
>launchers, has there been any rethinking of the B-2's purpose and its
>ability to accomplish its mission?

It might be a moot point, since congress seems reluctant to
fund the B2.  I hereby put in a vote to bring the first available
B2 to the USAF museum.....

Duane