[sci.military] Torpedoing Battleships

buckland@ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) (05/22/91)

From: Tony Buckland <buckland@ucs.ubc.ca>

In the debate over whether or not Rodney torpedoed Bismarck, I
note the side issue emerging of whether surface-ship-launched
torpedos did any damage to Bismarck.  Are modern torpedos
available in a specialized type for this kind of armor-piercing
role, in the same way that tanks carry rounds specifically
designed to penetrate the armor of other tanks?  I realize
that the primary role of attack submarines may be to sink
other submarines, but I assume it's also envisioned that they
may get to do an old-fashioned assault on surface shipping;
so, do they have ammunition specialized for this?

phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/24/91)

From: phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai)

Tony Buckland <buckland@ucs.ubc.ca> writes:
>In the debate over whether or not Rodney torpedoed Bismarck, I
>note the side issue emerging of whether surface-ship-launched
>torpedos did any damage to Bismarck.  Are modern torpedos
>available in a specialized type for this kind of armor-piercing
>role, in the same way that tanks carry rounds specifically
>designed to penetrate the armor of other tanks?

Actually, battleships don't have armored bottoms for a couple of reasons:
1) their designers realize that water carries the force too
well for armor to be effective

2) probably battleships stopped being useful around the time
that torpedoes became reasonable effective.

--
The media is in the business of distorting people's perception of
reality, by emphasising the out of the ordinary.

silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (05/24/91)

From: silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman)

buckland@ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) writes:
>In the debate over whether or not Rodney torpedoed Bismarck, I
>note the side issue emerging of whether surface-ship-launched
>torpedos did any damage to Bismarck.  Are modern torpedos
>available in a specialized type for this kind of armor-piercing
>role, in the same way that tanks carry rounds specifically
>designed to penetrate the armor of other tanks?

There are torpedoes specialized for anti-submarine and for
anti-shipping roles.  I'm not sure why they are incapable of being
used in a pinch in both roles.  (Most of the US surface launched
and helicopter launched torpedoes are designed to take out subs,
presumably because you really shouldn't get a DD or heli that close
to the enemy.)  You don't really need armor piercing torpedoes for
several reasons.

1) There are exactly four ships that have enough belt armor to worry
about.  (The US BBs)

2) When firing at surface ships the idea is to have the torpedo
explode near the keel, where armor is thinner.  Acoustic homing
torpedos tend to impact near the screws.

3) If the ship is compartmentalized, with fuel or coal bunkers,
you probably won't be able to penetrate the inner hull anyway.

4) Torpedos rely upon the explosion to cause damage.  They aren't
going fast enough to make a hole before exploding.  HEAT rounds won't
work because the purpose is not to make a hole (which HEAT rounds
against tanks are supposed to do), but to make a big hole.

--
ami silberman - janitor of lunacy
	silber@cs.uiuc.edu

nik@swindon.ingr.com (Nik Simpson) (05/24/91)

From: nik@swindon.ingr.com (Nik Simpson)

buckland@ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) writes:
>In the debate over whether or not Rodney torpedoed Bismarck, I
>note the side issue emerging of whether surface-ship-launched
>torpedos did any damage to Bismarck.  Are modern torpedos
>available in a specialized type for this kind of armor-piercing
>role, in the same way that tanks carry rounds specifically

The workings of a torpedo are very different to an armour piercing
shell,  shells strike armour at very high velocity and are designed to
pierce partially by kinetic enery,  torpedoes strike at much lower
speeds and work by the power of the explosion.  Torpedoes are not
intended to pierce armour in the way that a shell is.  Torpedoes are
most effective when they don't strike the armour at all in fact
magnetic fused torpedoes do not strike the ship at all the make use of
the fact the water is incompressible and hence the shock wave from the
explosion is devastating,  they are intended under the keel of the ship.

--
Nik Simpson	Mail : nik@swindon.ingr.com
Systems Consultant (UNIX).   Intergraph UK Ltd.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai)
>Actually, battleships don't have armored bottoms for a couple of reasons:
>1) their designers realize that water carries the force too well...
>2) probably battleships stopped being useful around the time
>that torpedoes became reasonable effective.

No, battleships were around and effective for quite a while after torpedoes
became workable.  Destroyers were invented mostly to keep torpedo boats at
a properly respectful distance from the battle fleet; battleships didn't
really lose out until submarines and aircraft started delivering torpedoes
by routes that were difficult to block completely.

As I understand it, the major reason for not armoring the bottom is simply
that it adds too much weight.  Even a battleship can't be armored everywhere.
A waterline belt made sense because that was the most vulnerable area against
gunfire and shallow-running torpedoes.  Internal armored decks protected the
engines from gunfire.  And of course the command centers and main turrets
were very heavily armored.  These ate up the weight budget available for armor
pretty much completely.  One reason why HMS Dreadnought started a revolution
in battleship design by deleting all secondary armament in favor of heavier
primary armament was that deleting the weight of the secondary guns made it
possible to protect the primary ones better.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

freeman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jay Freeman) (05/25/91)

From: freeman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jay Freeman)

phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>Actually, battleships don't have armored bottoms for a couple of reasons:
[omitted --CDR]

Also: when battleships were being built, all torpedoes were surface running.
The Iowa class BB's have 12" belt armor at the waterline, which tapers to
about 2" at the keel.

--
73 de Jay, WT9S
Internet: freeman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker) (05/25/91)

From: wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker)

Tony Buckland <buckland@ucs.ubc.ca> writes:
>In the debate over whether or not Rodney torpedoed Bismarck, I
>note the side issue emerging of whether surface-ship-launched
>torpedos did any damage to Bismarck.  Are modern torpedos
>available in a specialized type for this kind of armor-piercing
>role, in the same way that tanks carry rounds specifically
>designed to penetrate the armor of other tanks?

The short answer is that since there are very few heavily-armored ships
around these days, such a torpedo wouldn't be needed.

The long answer is that it never was. 8-)

A torpedo isn't like an antitank weapon, punching a small hole through an
armor plate.  Neither is a ship like a tank, filled wall to wall with
fragile and/or flammable materials.  Ships are subdivided, and have damage
control capabilities:  make a small hole, and either the crew will plug it
somehow or they'll seal off the flooding compartment until the hull can be
patched and the water pumped out.  Anything really vulnerable, like
magazines, will be buried deep within the hull, behind many layers of
armor, bulkheads, fuel bunkers, and what have you.  A HEAT-type warhead
would dissipate long before reaching the magazines, and obviously it would
be, er, "unfeasible" to create a high-velocity kinetic torpedo.

The whole thing is much cruder than this.  The torpedo is designed to
explode near (not necessarily in contact with, just "near") the ship's
hull.  The detonation creates a rapidly-expanding bubble of gas,
desparately seeking relief from the water constrains it.

Relative to water, which is incompressible, an unarmored ship is like
putty; and even a fully armored ship is not much more than caulk, or
perhaps spacking compound.  Even the most heavily armored ships could not
afford to cover the entire hull with armor; in fact, the armored belt
typically extended only a meter or so beneath the waterline, leaving most
of the outer hull unprotected.  It would take such thick armor to defeat a
torpedo blast that a ship simply couldn't carry it.

As testimony to hydraulics, consider that the most devastating bomb hits
against battleships in WWII were usually very near misses, which exploded
underwater next to the ship's sides, not those actually hitting the ship.

Instead, warship designers use other techniques to foil torpedos.  I'm not
sure about current practice, but the state of the art in WWII featured a
"torpedo defense system" along the hull sides, from the waterline down to
the flat bottom.  This was composed of an outer shell, forming the
watertight boundary of the hull, which would detonate the torpedo.  Behind
this would be void space, the more the better; sometimes these spaces were
used for fuel or water storage, but it was better to leave them air-filled
and to provide vents at the tops, to provide relief for the explosion
gasses.  Next came the torpedo bulkhead, typically 1-3 inches thick;
hopefully this would contain the blast.  In the event that it didn't, more
void spaces (or fluid-filled compartments) backed the torpedo bulkhead, and
behind them, when possible, was fitted a thin (about 1") armored "splinter
bulkhead", whose job was to stop any fragments (in the event that the
torpedo bulkhead was pierced) from flying into the ship's internals,
punching holes and reducing the watertight integrity.  On battleships
in particular, multiple bulkheads of this type were common.

The gist of the torpedo defense system is to allow the torpedo to expend
its energy battering through a series of steel barriers, all the while
bleeding off the pressure topside, until not enough energy remained
to damage the ship's vitals.  The torpedo defense system itself would
flood, of course, but this was relatively harmless.

Thus the major factor determining the effectiveness of an anti-torpedo
system was depth; how much of the ship's beam (width, for landlubbers)
can be used for this purpose?  This presents a number of immediate
conclusions.  First, smaller ships will be more vulnerable, because they
are less beamy.  In fact, cruisers typically carried only a vestigial
anti-torpedo system, while destroyers had none.   Second, even battleships
must sacrifice the torpedo defense system at the bows and stern when the
ship narrows; it was not uncommon for battleships to have the bow or stern
virtually blown off by a torpedo blast.  Finally, it leads us to...

... what do we do about the ship's bottom ?  If an explosion occurs there,
there's no place to vent the gases except through the ship.

The designer's answer, basically, has been to give up.  They use double and
even triple bottoms to provide some semblence of protection, but in fact
torpedo or mine explosions beneath the ship's flat bottom were and probably
remain devastating.  In WWII, torpedo detonators were unable to reliable
produce such an attack, although mines could; today, I'm sure it can be
done routinely.  The most likely result of such an attack is a broken keel,
which means the ship is very likely to break up (although there are cases
of good damage control overcoming even this).

--
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com

div3@midway.uchicago.edu (Dwight Divine IV) (05/29/91)

From: div3@midway.uchicago.edu (Dwight Divine IV)

Please excuse any lapses in net etiquette {I'm sure the moderator will
catch the obvious ones anyway :)}, as this is my first time posting to
this newsgroup, although I have enjoyed it greatly over the last 2 years.

On the subject of torpedos and defenses against them, has anyone tried to
develop an active defense?  That is, has anyone tried or successfully deployed
an anti-torpedo torpedo or similar device?  I know that tricks such as decoys
are used to attempt to mislead incoming torpedos but I wonder if any more
aggressive tactics have been tried.  I would think that a torpedo's active
sonar and high-speed propellers would betray its position fairly exactly.
With that in mind, couldn't a small device be launched from the target vessel
to home in on the torpedo (either actively homing on the torpedo's sonar or
screws or being guided to the torpedo by the launching vessel)?

This has been in the back of my mind for some time--along with the similar
question of why submarines don't mount anti-aircraft weapons to be used
against sub-hunting aircraft.  I know that a submarine is built never to be
found in the first place, but it seems silly not to try to provide defenses
just in case.

Thanks to all who reply!

Dwight Divine IV
(All standard disclaimers apply, void where prohibited...)

002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn) (05/30/91)

From: 002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn)

Some modern torpedoes are classified as "antiship" ... why exactly they
receive this label I'm not sure, but I think it's related to warhead
weight.  Most of the torpedoes not called "antiship" are known as
"lightweight" ...  this is critical for air delivery by aircraft with
limited lift capacity (such as a destroyer-borne helo).

Even as far back as WWII, the technology was sought to be exploited to
provide torpedoes which detonate _under_ a ship rather than _against
the hull_.  The key is the expanding gas bubble, explained previously,
rising directly under the keel of the target.  This was the source of
grief early in the U.S. sub attacks...the sophisticated magnetic
exploders didn't work, and many startled targets gratefully watched
U.S. torpedoes pass completely underneath them without exploding.  U.S.
forces shifted tactics to hit rather than pass under while improvement
were made.

Today, we assume the technology is much more mature.  Torpedoes which
are primarily intended to sink large surface vessels are planned to
dentonate under the keel.  This (as already stated) is the same
principal in use by influence-activated mines, and it is the main
reason why mines are so deadly.

--
J. W. Cupp
UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!002            Naval Telecommunications Center

norton@manta.nosc.mil (LT Scott A. Norton, USN) (05/31/91)

From: norton@manta.nosc.mil (LT Scott A. Norton, USN)

Another reason for not armoring the battleship's bottoms:
Plunging fire that penetrates the armored deck will then
plunge through the bottom relatively harmlessly.  (An internal
explosion is much more damaging than a 18-inch hole in the bottom.)

Scott Norton <norton@NOSC.MIL>

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/01/91)

From: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen)

The design of anti-torpedo-torpedo's is a good idea.  But there are
some problems associated with them.  I hope that my thoughts are
complete enough that the big picture can be seen without explaining
every word and assumption.  Look at the following considerations....

1. A Typical high-(or medium high)-performance torpedo has a speed that
is much higher than submarine.  Given typical sub speeds are, say, 30
MPH, that gives the torpedo a intercept speed about 60 (and I believe
the mark iv is oficially rated at about 52 knots or something like 56
mph).  While you can say that the speed of your anti-torpeo-torpedo
device isn't important, and this is true as long as the target-sub is
in a advantageous position.  However, when the target sub is in a
advantageous position, they would be able to launch a torpedo at the
hostile sub (and would in this case).  In this scenario, the planned
hostile would be at extremely close range, more about that later.  If
the target-sub is NOT at a advantageous position, then the recovery or
turn around radius and speed of the intercept torpedo is very
important.

2.  The precision location of ALL underwater homing devices in weapons
is NOT terribly good.  A small sub is the size of a football field, and
quite loud.  The torpedo's are much louder, but with a target size
approaching 12 ft long, and 15 in dia, moving at 60 MPH, would be
nearly impossible to IMPACT with any reliability.  After all, +- 50 ft
on a football field sized object @30 MPH is nothing compared to +-8
inches on a 1.5x15 ft object @60 MPH.

3. While precision impact would be nearly impossible (see above), it
MAY be enough to use a proximity sensor, and explode as close to the
torpedo as possible.  Water is a terrible damper, using a explosive
projectile weapon would be terribly ruined by the damping effect of the
water. Short of that, the force required to damage a torpedo is great.
Your best chance would depend on being close enough to yourself (the
torpedo's target) for the torpedo to be armed, and activate the warhead
in a contect charge. Remember that torpedos are loaded on and off subs
from cranes on sub tenders, at sea under any conditions.  If you saw
this once during 'weather' you'd believe in god.  They are dropped,
banged, and mistreated in every respect.  The outside case is about 1/2
in of steel.  I would guess that something approaching a small tactical
nuclear device would be needed at 50 ft underwater to destroy a torpedo
that was NOT armed.  Simply using something like that (an explosion) to
'throw' the torpedo off course and depth would be plenty of defense, at
long range.  When used at short range, it probably would no more
effective than countermeasures, and would add a great deal on
confusion.  Further, is we made one, our enemy would also.  The great
confusion this would cause, would greatly increase the chance that the
torpedo would turn on it's launcher and destroy 'mommy'.  With both
sides doing this, then,,,,  And if we add more smarts so it can
identify it's launcher or be disabled by it's lanucher, we add more
counter- intelligence to it, more possibilities of more jamming for it,
and most importantly, increase both the weight, size, cost of the
weapon, and decrease it's max top speed, effectiveness, reliability.

4.  Lastly, there is a myriad of social and economic and political
reasons.  The use of underwater explosive devices kills all the
wildlife for a MASSIVE area. Remember also that EVERY launch tube in a
sub is a dangerous place. The force from the water at depth is
astronomical.  Tube numbers are minimized to reduce this potential
danger. Using existing tubes would require reallocation of required
torpedo tubes.  Current subs are built with a limited weapons stock
availability and with certain clas weapons in mind.  We can't just add
another storage area or elevator handling mech for a new weapon.  With
multiple different platform weapons, getting the desired weapon in the
desired tube is almost a feat byitself depending on man and machine.
More different possibilities means more potnetial for error and
disaster  (think of the 16 in gun incident, and don't always believe
what the government wants you to think...). Adding more tubes to new
subs would require larger subs, causing a whole new list of different
problems....

In the future, I can see this becoming more effective, and believe that
eventually, there will such weapons.  Increased computer speed and
decreased size and power requirements, increased/improved
sensor&electronics, along with newer higher powered synthetic
explosives will eventually make these defensive tools a reality.  The
problem is that nothing is stagnent.  Along with these steps MAY come
something like satellite based MAD, DAD, IRAD, UVRAD or NAAD/NAD sensor
systems.  If/when some or all of these are functioning, then the
effectiveness of the offensive use of submarines becomes zero. When
this happens, no offensive or defensive submarine will be needed by
either side.  (In other words, subs cease to be a option for war, so
these anti- torpedo-torpedos aren't needed)  Of course, this can't
happen overnight, and depends on some pretty finely located assumptions.

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu

tek@pram.CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim) (06/01/91)

From: tek@pram.CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim)

div3@midway.uchicago.edu (Dwight Divine IV) writes:
>On the subject of torpedos and defenses against them, has anyone tried to
>develop an active defense?

I have been told in WWII, AA machineguns were sometimes fired at
incoming shallow-running torpedoes. Also, there are old rumors that the
Soviets might use massed RBU barrages as a last ditch torpedo defense.
More recently, the USN has a classified research program in "Surface
Ship Torpedo Defense". FY91 Authorization for this program amounts to
$53.9M with requests for FY92 at $58.4M and FY93 at $34.1M.  (All
figures from May 91 USNI Proceedings.)

Since it is classified, no public statement (at least that I know of)
has been made about what approaches are being studied and whether those
methods are active or passive or hard or soft kill. But of course,
there is speculation, including induced whirlpools to throw the
torpedoes off course and 200 knot anti-torpedoes.

>This has been in the back of my mind for some time--along with the similar
>question of why submarines don't mount anti-aircraft weapons to be used
>against sub-hunting aircraft.

There are persistant rumors that certain Soviet submarines have small
SAMs (variants of SA-N-5 or SA-N-8) launchable from their periscope
masts. Apparently, some variant of UK Blowpipe was also offered in a
similar configuration. The rumor mill says Israel equipped some of
its subs this way.

--
Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek

jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. R. Bennett) (06/02/91)

From: "Jon C. R. Bennett" <jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu>

div3@midway.uchicago.edu (Dwight Divine IV) writes:
> This has been in the back of my mind for some time--along with the similar
> question of why submarines don't mount anti-aircraft weapons to be used
> against sub-hunting aircraft.  I know that a submarine is built never to be
> found in the first place, but it seems silly not to try to provide defenses
> just in case.

Some British subs (dont rember which class) mount a Blowpipe anti-aircraft
missile launcher in the sail for just such a reason. The launcher (which
is about man sized) has 4 missiles and retracts into the sail when the sub
is submerged.

jon