[sci.military] Source for military clothing patterns?

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (06/06/91)

From: John R. Levine <johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us>

[I don't know if this is too tangential to military concerns, but what
the heck.]

A friend of mine who was an army officer in Vietnam recently showed me
his tattered old green tropical uniform shirt.  He really loves it
(especially compared to the hot standard uniform shirt it replaced) but
it's practically in shreds.  It has lots of swell pockets and doodads
and is very well made.  He opines that if the Vietnamese laundries
hadn't beaten it on a rock every time he had it washed, it would still
be in pretty good shape.

We're considering taking the pieces apart and trying to remake it in
new fabric, but I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a source for
patterns for current or previous military clothing.

I suppose I could check out the usual surplus at army-navy stores, but
it'd be nice to make him a new one.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (06/06/91)

From: cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill)

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>A friend of mine who was an army officer in Vietnam recently showed me
>his tattered old green tropical uniform shirt.

I wonder if it's the ripstop 100% cotton fatigues that I've been buying
at surplus stores.  That stuff is wonderful, but becoming harder and
harder to find. The fabric has a kind of rough cross-hatch pattern and is
very thin and very strong.

I notice that L.L. Bean is now selling a shirt made of the fabric, but
it does not have all the same pockets and stuff, and it comes in several
different colors.

--
Andy Cohill
cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu