[sci.military] First Jet-vs-Jet "Kill"?

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (06/03/91)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)

I have a question about the first jet-vs-jet "kill".  According to
Rene J. Francillon in "Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913", the first jet-vs-jet
kill was made on November 7, 1950 when Lt. Russell J. Brown flying an F-80C
destroyed a MiG-15 over North Korea.  I have heard this story from several other
sources as well.  However, P. Butowski and J. Miller in "MiG -- A History of
the Design Bureau and Its Aircraft" claims that the MiG was the first to
draw blood--destroying a single F-80C on November 8, 1950.  Which source
is correct?

Joe Baugher
AT&T Bell Laboratories     200 Park Plaza     Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050
(708) 713 4548	    ihlpm!jfb       jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com

U38956%uicvm.uic.edu@OHSTVMA.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (06/04/91)

From: <U38956%uicvm.uic.edu@OHSTVMA.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU>

In a REAL technical way (I mean REALLY technical), the first jet-to-jet
kill occured at the end of World War II when a British jet (the Gloster
Meteor?) flew alongside a German jet bomber, slipped its port wing
under the German's starboard wing, then banked hard right.  This tipped
the German's wing upward so much that it lost control and crashed!
Weird, huh?  Source: "Fighting Jets" by Time/Life Books.

Bones
u38956@uicvm.bitnet
SN06049110850

dutchman@wpi.WPI.EDU (jonathan) (06/07/91)

From: dutchman@wpi.WPI.EDU (jonathan)

In article <1991Jun6.063323.5811@amd.com> U38956%uicvm.uic.edu@OHSTVMA.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU writes:

>In a REAL technical way (I mean REALLY technical), the first jet-to-jet
>kill occured at the end of World War II when a British jet (the Gloster
>Meteor?) flew alongside a German jet bomber, slipped its port wing
                                      ^^^^^^
>under the German's starboard wing, then banked hard right.

Though the Germans did have a jet bomber (a Junkers recce/light bomber
design, I think), I believe the appropriate reference here is to the
jet *bomb*, aka the V1.  The story goes that the Meteor's guns jammed,
so the pilot found another way to take out V1.

--
jonathan drummey
dutchman@wpi.wpi.edu

whheydt@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (06/10/91)

From: whheydt@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt)

dutchman@wpi.WPI.EDU (jonathan) writes:
>Though the Germans did have a jet bomber (a Junkers recce/light bomber
>design, I think),

The Arado Ar-234, four engine jet bomber.  Mostly used for photorecon.
Also known as the 'Blitzbomber'.  The Allies pretty much gave up
trying to shoot them down as they were too fast to catch.

--
Hal Heydt
Analyst, Pacific*Bell