[sci.military] Early German Jets

carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (06/13/91)

From: carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov

whheydt@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) writes...
>>Though the Germans did have a jet bomber (a Junkers recce/light bomber
>>design, I think),
>
>The Arado Ar-234, four engine jet bomber.  Mostly used for photorecon.
>Also known as the 'Blitzbomber'.  The Allies pretty much gave up
>trying to shoot them down as they were too fast to catch.

The version used operationally was the Ar-234B, a TWO engine
recce/bomber.  The four engine model Ar-234C was in development at the
end of the war when the difference between test pilot and combat pilot
was meaningless; however, the C model was not considered operational.

As I recall, all combat losses were due to ground fire or strafing on
the ground.

--
Charlie Carey		| My employer has no opinions
Sverdrup Technology	| on this subject, so this must be mine