[sci.military] SR-71 was RS-71

barney@procyon.usc.edu (Barney Lum) (04/06/91)

From: barney@procyon.usc.edu (Barney Lum)

In article <1991Mar12.230042.27317@cbnews.att.com> dvlssd@zeus.cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund) writes
>S : Strategic.Usuall in this meaning : Strategic Reconnaisance.
>    SR-71 and and also SB52C I think.

It was actually an RS-71.  When then-president Johnson introduced
it to the public, he erroneously called it "SR-71."  The brass didn't
want to correct our "leader" so the name stuck :] .

--
Barney@usc.edu  Barney@USCVM.Bitnet
Permanent Student Pilot, On the Numbers

wb9omc@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (04/10/91)

From: wb9omc@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)

barney@procyon.usc.edu (Barney Lum) writes:
>It was actually an RS-71.  When then-president Johnson introduced
>it to the public, he erroneously called it "SR-71."  The brass didn't
>want to correct our "leader" so the name stuck :] .

	Although it has been said, probably correctly, that the Strategic
Recon, i.e., SR, probably is more accurate for the 71's mission than
RS, which was Recon/Strike.

	[Didn't it used to the YF-12 or something anyway? --CDR]
Duane

	[I'M KIDDING!  DON'T tell me the life story of the SR-71,
	 I know it already, I'm just kidding. --CDR]

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>From: wb9omc@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)
>Although it has been said, probably correctly, that the Strategic
>Recon, i.e., SR, probably is more accurate for the 71's mission than
>RS, which was Recon/Strike.

Well, for the mission it turned out to spend all its time flying.  It did
have a theoretical nuclear-strike capability, although I forget where the
bomb was supposed to be carried.  That was secondary from the start and
receded rapidly into the background.

--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

swansonc@stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (06/15/91)

From: swansonc@stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson)

As an interesting note, the SR-71 started out it's life as a
long-range, strategic interceptor (designator YF-?) that was to carry
nuclear warhead AAM's that would engage an incomming Soviet bomber
flight over international water, long before it got feet dry over the
US.  The plane had a slightly different configuration, with some IR
detectors at the forward wing-fuselage junction.

I was never aware of the Strike capability, anybody else have any info
on this?

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc