[sci.military] Why the C in CV

marco@email.ncsc.navy.mil (Barbarisi) (05/24/91)

From: Barbarisi <marco@email.ncsc.navy.mil>

I am not sure whether or not this has been pointed out, but the
"C" in US aircraft carrier designations (CV, CVA, CVN, etc...) comes
from the fact that early production carriers were converted
battlecruisers.  Namely, the original Yorktown and Lexington were
designed to be battlecruisers.  Under that famous treaty signed in
the 1920's (Washington Treaty? Burlington Treaty?), the signatory
powers agreed to limit the number of large gun-toting warships in
their arsenals.  At the time, the Lexington and the Yorktwon were
partially completed; presumably the plan was to designate them CB or
CH or something.  Due to the treaty, they could not be completed as
battlecruisers.  Due to a (glaring in hindsight) loophole in the
treaty, they could be built as aircraft carriers and so they were
finished as such.

Thus their designation was changed to CV - Cruiser, aViation (the logical
choice - CA - was already in use, but as every one knows, there is
logic, illogic, and then there is US Navy logic :-).

Marco Barbarisi      marco@email.ncsc.navy.mil

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (05/25/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Aircraft Carriers were called "CV" because they weren't called "aircraft
carriers" at first, they were "aircraft cruisers."  This is why the
Lexington and Saratoga (CV's 2 and 3) were built with 8 8" guns in four
twin-mount turrets.  In fact, many countries refer to aircraft carriers
as some type of cruiser.  The Royal Navy called the Invincible-class of
VSTOL carrier as a "anti-submarine cruiser" to get funding railroaded
through Parliament.  The Soviet Union classified the Kiev class as a
"aircraft carrying cruiser" to circumvent the unofficial agreement that
said no capital ships could pass through the Hellespont.  This tactic
has since been discarded with the advent of the Tiblisi class.

--
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 2/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or 1069 Morewood Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA  15213

dmc@otto.yerkes.uchicago.edu (Dave Cole) (05/25/91)

From: dmc@otto.yerkes.uchicago.edu (Dave Cole)

>battlecruisers.  Namely, the original Yorktown and Lexington were
>designed to be battlecruisers.  Under that famous treaty signed in
>the 1920's (Washington Treaty? Burlington Treaty?), the signatory
>powers agreed to limit the number of large gun-toting warships in
>their arsenals.  At the time, the Lexington and the Yorktwon were
>partially completed; presumably the plan was to designate them CB or
>CH or something.  Due to the treaty, they could not be completed as
>battlecruisers.  Due to a (glaring in hindsight) loophole in the
>treaty, they could be built as aircraft carriers and so they were
>finished as such.

I'd just like to point out that the Saratoga (not Yorktown) and Lexington
would have been battlecruisers (that's BC, not CB, usually, although since
the USN has never had a BC, who knows?) but were converted to aircraft
carriers not under a loophole but specifically as allowed by the treaty.
Japan was allowed to keep Akagi and Amagi (replaced by Kaga when Amagi was
destroyed in an earthquake), the US Saratoga and Lexington, and the UK
Glorious and Furious, I believe.

Dave Cole
dmc@otto.yerkes.uchicago.edu

002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn) (05/30/91)

From: 002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn)

I don't think the Soviet Union has given up calling their largest ships
cruisers...I read in the Naval Institute "Proceedings" there was a flap
when one reported called the latest TBILISI class an aircraft-carrier.
The Navy officially rebutted that, stating that it was more accurately
an "aircraft-carrying cruiser."

The agreements concerning ships passing through Turkey are quite
official, and as far as I've ever been told scrupulously adhered to by
the Soviet Navy.

        J. W. Cupp

--
UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!002            Naval Telecommunications Center
ARPA: humu!nctams!pnet16!002@nosc.mil    Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker) (05/31/91)

From: wbt@cbema.att.com (William B Thacker)

Barbarisi <marco@email.ncsc.navy.mil> writes:
>I am not sure whether or not this has been pointed out, but the
>"C" in US aircraft carrier designations (CV, CVA, CVN, etc...) comes
>from the fact that early production carriers were converted battlecruisers.

Others have already addressed this, and I agree; the designation seems
to have come from the fact that the carriers were intended to
supplement cruisers (as fleet scouts), hence were "aircraft cruisers."
If Marco has any supporting references, though, I'd be interested,
because I've not seen the above clearly stated anywhere, though it
appears obvious.

As further evidence, consider that CV-1, USS Langley, began life as
AC-3, the fleet collier Jupiter.  During conversion to a carrier in
1920 she was redesignated AV-1 USS Langley, then eventually, CV-1.
Clearly, no relation to a battlecruiser can be established here.

--
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com

rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (06/16/91)

From: rick@pavlov.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller)

dmc@otto.yerkes.uchicago.edu (Dave Cole) writes:
> I'd just like to point out that the Saratoga (not Yorktown) and Lexington
> would have been battlecruisers (that's BC, not CB, usually, although since
> the USN has never had a BC, who knows?)

Actually, according to the lists I have seen, battlecruisers were to carry
a type code of CC, not BC. The CBs were the large cruisers of WWI [Alaska
class] which carried 12" guns. In any case, as others have pointed out,
the CV-1 for the Langley set the basic type code since aircraft carriers
were to be part of the scouting force instead of the battle force.

--
Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@bcm.tmc.edu
Asst. Dir. for Technical Support  Voice: (713)798-3532