[sci.military] Dragon Anti-tank missile

R2RS1%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU (Suku) (06/14/91)

From: Suku <R2RS1%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU>

I just finished reading Larry Bond's "Red Phoenix", in which US and S
Korean forces face a N Korean offensive across the DMZ. Bond's
description of the anti-tank battles centers around "Dragon" anti-tank
missile teams. Is this for real? (all his other stuff is). I thought
the TOW was the main anti-tank missile for the grunt. Could anybody
throw some light on the Dragon ? I also happen to have read about the
TOW and other anti-tank missiles being 3rd generation systems, what
would a 4th generation ATM be ?

Thanks in advance, good book by the way, must read if you have'nt.

--
R SUKUMAR
R2RS1@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU

kozowski@ohsu.EDU (Eric Kozowski) (06/15/91)

From: kozowski@ohsu.EDU (Eric Kozowski)

The dragon is for real.  The dragon is a "man portable" anti-armor
weapon.  Performs not quite as well as the TOW and a lot worse than the
TOW II.  The TOW(and TOWII) are heavy 120+ lbs.  The Dragon is similar
to the TOW (wire guided, etc.).

--
Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu

cmort@ncoast.org (Christopher Morton) (06/17/91)

From: cmort@ncoast.org (Christopher Morton)

R2RS1%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU (Suku):
> I just finished reading Larry Bond's "Red Phoenix", in which US and S
> Korean forces face a N Korean offensive across the DMZ. Bond's
> description of the anti-tank battles centers around "Dragon" anti-tank
> missile teams.

The Dragon is the missle found at company level and below, especially
in M113 equipped units.  It has a much shorter range than the TOW and
is a LOT harder to hit with.  In fact in the early '80s a study was
done that showed that it was VERY difficult to hit anything with it...
and once you did, it might not kill it.  In Korea, the short range
wouldn't be that much of a handicap, since the terrain, often makes
long shots impossible.  Of course, the Dragon's tendency to hit the
ground after launch is a slight drawback in that sort of country.... :)

I was in the 2nd Infantry Div. (1/31Inf) in '80-'81, and I found the
book rather innacurate, especially in terms of geography.  I recall a
reference to "Tongducheon, near Seoul" or some such.  Kind of like
Chicago near Milwaukee, or Elizabethtown, near Ft. Knox.... :)

--
Christopher Morton
{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!cmort                      cmort@ncoast.org