[sci.military] Dragon ATGM

hc1@bale.cis.ufl.edu (Harry Campbell) (06/15/91)

From: hc1@bale.cis.ufl.edu (Harry Campbell)

The Dragon ATGM is in fact the primary medium anti-tank missile for the
U. S. infantry.  You'll find at least one in every platoon, probably
two.  The Dragon has a 1000m range, and can penetrate around 500mm of
steel plate.  It fills the gap between the TOW and the LAW.  The Dragon
is man-portable, and night capable (though I don't believe they have
Thermal Imaging).

The TOW is designated as a heavy ATGM.  To my knowledge it is only
deployed as a vehicle mount, not man-portable.  TOW II has a range of
3750m and can penetrate over 900mm of steel plate (Ivan's shaking in is
boots).

As far as generation of ATGM's go, I'll do some research and get back
to you with specifics.

Red Pheonix, by Larry Bond is an excellent book (though he could have
detailed the fighting a little more, and the romance a little less for
my tastes) and I second the recomendation.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: hc1@bale.cis.ufl.edu (Harry Campbell)
>The Dragon ATGM is in fact the primary medium anti-tank missile for the
>U. S. infantry...  has a 1000m range...

Note that this makes it the only major infantry ATGM in service today with
an effective range *less* than the effective range of a typical machinegun.
This can make things very interesting for the Dragon controller when the
opposition follows the standard "on seeing a missile launch, spray the
launch area with gunfire to ruin their aim" tactic.  Apparently Dragon is,
uh, not well thought of among its users.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry