[sci.military] Seawolf Submarine

kmc4@midway.uchicago.edu (keith matthew cardoza) (11/15/90)

From: kmc4@midway.uchicago.edu (keith matthew cardoza)
Could someone please tell me about the new Seawolf submarine?
Thanks in advance!!!

--
             Keith Cardoza         E-mail : kmc4@midway.uchicago.edu
           The University Of Chicago : "We're smart, you're dumb." 8^)

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (11/16/90)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

[The following is from _The Naval Institute Guide to Combat
Fleets of the World, 1990/1991_]

Seawolf ("SSN 21") class:

Displacement: 9,150 tons (submerged)
Speed: 35+ knots (sub.)
Dim. (m): 99.37 x 12.19 x 10.94
Armament: 8/762 mm TT (about 50 Sea Lance, Tomahawk, Harpoon missiles,
	Mk 48 ADCAP torpedoes, mines)
Plant:  1 G.E. S6W pressurized-water reactor; single screw; 60,000
	shaft horse power.
Man.:  approx. 12 officers, 118 enlisted.

Remarks:  First unit requested under FY 89 and ordered 9/1/89. General
Dynamics and Newportf News SB & DD competed for initial unit.  Will offer
significant improvements in speed, quietness, weapons load, sonar proces-
sing, etc., over LOS ANGELES class, to continue lead over Soviet technology,
being able to travel at up to 20 knots while silent.

Designed for reliability and ease of maintenance, to operate for 15 years
before first overhaul. Will be without question the world's finest nuclear
submarines.  To have Raytheon Mk 2 Combat Control System, Submarine Active
Detection System (SADS), with bow-mounted medium- and high-frequency active
sonar capability.  The BQQ-5D passive sonar suite will include the TB-23
thin-line towed array and three flank arrays per side.

Hull numbering sequence is peculiar, as U.S.N. hull numbers are by regulation
to be sequential, yet SS 21 dates to 1912!  Anomaly apparently came about
when "SSN-21" was applied as the project title, indicating "Sumarine for
the 21st Century."  Name is still unofficial, and hull number may be changed
to SSN 774.

The submarine will have smaller length-to-beam ratio to improve maneuver-
ability.  Retractable bow planes (as opposed to the sail-mounted diving
planes on the 688s) and six stern fins will be carried.  A small wedge at
the base of the forward edge of the sail will improve hydrodynamic flow.
Propeller will be of pump-jet design.  Planned to carry 12 Tomahawk
missiles.

-shane

               |\/\/\/\/|
               |        |        "Neat boat, man!"
               |        |
               |    (o o)       /
               c        _)     /
               /______\

gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) (11/17/90)

From: gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

>Hull numbering sequence is peculiar, as U.S.N. hull numbers are by regulation
>to be sequential, yet SS 21 dates to 1912!  Anomaly apparently came about
>when "SSN-21" was applied as the project title, indicating "Sumarine for
>the 21st Century."  Name is still unofficial, and hull number may be changed
>to SSN 774.

I believe the original General Dynamics Electric Boat SSN-575 Seawolf is still
in service? (This being the rival to the Nautilus in testing nuclear propulsion)
If so, this presents another anomaly, and dictates a renaming of the original.
But I believe it is more likely to be decommisioned if not already....

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (11/17/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))
In article <1990Nov16.054614.24287@cbnews.att.com> deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

>Seawolf ("SSN 21") class:
>
>Armament: 8/762 mm TT (about 50 Sea Lance, Tomahawk, Harpoon missiles, ...
                                 ^^^^^^^^^
This weapon has been cancelled.

The tubes are much wider than the torpedoes allowing quieter
"swim-out" (rather than gas ejection) launch. The hull has an anechoic
coating also.

>To have Raytheon Mk 2 Combat Control System, Submarine Active
>Detection System (SADS), with bow-mounted medium- and high-frequency active
>sonar capability.  The BQQ-5D passive sonar suite will include the TB-23
>thin-line towed array and three flank arrays per side.

The flank arrays include the BQG-5 Wide Aperture Passive Ranging
Array (a descendant of PUFFS and MicroPUFFS). All of this stuff to be
knit together with the controversial and expensive BSY-2.

>Retractable bow planes (as opposed to the sail-mounted diving
>planes on the 688s) and six stern fins will be carried.

The fins are in an unusual pattern. The "normal" four set apart at 90
degree angles (N,S,E,W so to speak) and two more stuck in on the
bottom (SE and SW).

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (11/20/90)

From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In <1990Nov17.020233.29926@cbnews.att.com> gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) writes:

>From: gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
>deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

>>Hull numbering sequence is peculiar, as U.S.N. hull numbers are by regulation
>>to be sequential, yet SS 21 dates to 1912!  Anomaly apparently came about
>>when "SSN-21" was applied as the project title, indicating "Sumarine for
>>the 21st Century."  Name is still unofficial, and hull number may be changed
>>to SSN 774.

>I believe the original General Dynamics Electric Boat SSN-575 Seawolf is still
>in service? (This being the rival to the Nautilus in testing nuclear propulsion)
>If so, this presents another anomaly, and dictates a renaming of the original.
>But I believe it is more likely to be decommisioned if not already....

I believe you are right.

The Seawolf (SSN 575) was originally fitted with a liquid-sodium cooled reactor.
For one reason or another, it was replaced with a pressurized-water reactor.

I believe it was decommissioned sometime in the 1980s.
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

rbeville%tekig5.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Robert E Beville) (11/22/90)

From: Robert E Beville <rbeville%tekig5.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

	this past summer an issue of DESIGN NEWS, a cahners publication,
	had coverage of the Seawolf class, along with other sleath hardware...
	The cover was in blue, the feature cover article was about the
	new age robo-soldier. Perhaps some other subscriber come name the
	month of the isssue...

	that's -OWARI- from GLOWWORM-7-9-4
	best regards, rbeville@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM
	Bob Beville, Tektronix, Inc., Beaverton, OR 97077

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (11/22/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>I believe it was decommissioned sometime in the 1980s.

Not only was SSN 575 decomissioned, it was stricken from the Navy List
and scrapped.

The liquid sodium reactor was removed because it didn't work very well.

Allan

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (11/29/90)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <1990Nov21.222724.21580@cbnews.att.com>, Allan Bourdius writes:
*Not only was SSN 575 decomissioned, it was stricken from the Navy List
*and scrapped.

*The liquid sodium reactor was removed because it didn't work very well.

this is the official reason.  some argue that it was scrapped because
Rickover didn't like it, and that it might have had great potential
if developed properly.

mind you, i'm no expert and am not prepared to argue the point.

richard
--
richard welty         518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
welty@lewis.crd.ge.com                 ...!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (11/29/90)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>I believe it was decommissioned sometime in the 1980s.
>
>Not only was SSN 575 decomissioned, it was stricken from the Navy List
>and scrapped.
>
>The liquid sodium reactor was removed because it didn't work very well.

Actually, according to sources here at NOSC, the SEAWOLF was decommissioned
and converted to a research vessel (a la the DOLPHIN).  As for her reactor,
she was said to have travelled more than 150,000 miles on that one.....

-shane

"the Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah"

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (11/29/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))
In article <1990Nov17.020333.81@cbnews.att.com> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) writes:
> The tubes are much wider than the torpedoes allowing quieter
> "swim-out" (rather than gas ejection) launch.
I should have said "water pulse ejection". Apparently, the USN uses
water pulse rather than gas ejection on its subs. (Reference: "World
Naval Developments" in April 1989 USNI Proceedings.)

kmc4@midway.uchicago.edu (keith matthew cardoza) (06/19/91)

From: kmc4@midway.uchicago.edu (keith matthew cardoza)

I just read an article in Time magazine that claimed the new Seawolf submarine
is too large to be launched from the Thames River in Connecticut.  Aren't the
Trident submarines, also built by Electric Boat, launched from the Thames River
and much larger than the Seawolf?  Can someone please clear this up? Thanks!!!