[sci.military] B-52s in use

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (06/12/91)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

Scott Johnson (Scott.Johnson@f1020.n391.z1.FidoNet.Org) writes:
>>The model most commonly-used there was not the H model (and I don't
>>think the G, either), but D's and E's modified to carry a bigger
>>convential payload.
> Nope. ALL the -D and earlier models have been retired and have now been
> either scrapped or are mouldering in the SW deserts.

Nope.  There's one -B still flying.  It's the NB-52B here at Dryden.
It was the eighth B-52 built and it's the lowest airframe time B-52
still in existance.

For the trivia-minded--what's the oldest airplane still flying for the
U S Air Force?  Tail number not required, exact type will do.

	[Could it be the 39-year old Lockheed T-33A
	 mentioned in Digest 7.36? --CDR]

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (06/19/91)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>
I wrote:

>For the trivia-minded--what's the oldest airplane still flying for the
>U S Air Force?  Tail number not required, exact type will do.

And Carl added:

>	[Could it be the 39-year old Lockheed T-33A
>	 mentioned in Digest 7.36? --CDR]

Well, it's 40 years old and it's an NT-33A, but he's quite correct
otherwise.  The tail number is 0-14120.

This airplane has been modified to be a variable-stability aircraft
and it's used for in-flight simulation.  To hold all the computers,
tape recorders, etc, it has an F-94 nose.  It can fly like a wide
variety of aircraft and it also has a very nice programmable HUD.

According to the records, only one civilian woman, a NASA flying
qualities engineer, has flown this airborne simulator.  No points for
guessing who!