[sci.military] Secondary Armament

apizza@PICA.ARMY.MIL (CCL-L) (06/12/91)

From: Arthur Pizza (CCL-L) <apizza@PICA.ARMY.MIL>

I am interested in hearing recommendations for secondary armament
systems for a future armored vehicle.  One system would have to be a
CO-AX, and one a cupola mount.  Both systems would require remote
operations.  Just to make it interesting I would like the MG to have
better range then that of the standard 7.62 weapons.  I am also
interested in remote sites recommendations.  Any specific MG
information would be greatly appreciated as well as future developments
by non-usa military in this area.  Ammo storage and size is a concern.
Brand names of cupolas are a interest.

cfreund@PICA.ARMY.MIL (CCL-L) (06/13/91)

From: "Charles T. Freund" (CCL-L) <cfreund@PICA.ARMY.MIL>

Try looking to some of the helicopter armaments for secondary armament
systems.  They are relatively lightweight, and while not 360 degree
traversing, they usually have a pretty wide field of fire.  All you
have to do is turn them upside-down and add a sighting system.  (note
elevation and depression would be reversed if system is inverted)

M5 - Also called the THUMPER this is a M75 40mm Grenade Launcher used
on various models of UH-1 Hueys. Weight: 484lbs (w/ 302 rounds),
Traverse:  60 deg left or right, Elevation: 15 to -35deg, ROF: 230 spm

M6 - Quad M60C 7.62mm machineguns (2 left, 2 right) used on UH-1s.
A single gun could be adapted for use as a secondary armament system.
EL: 9 to -66deg, Trav: 82deg total

M21 - This is an updated M6, replacing the 4 M60C with 2 M134 7.62mm
miniguns with two 7 tube 2.75in rocket launchers.  A single minigun
mount could be adapted. EL: 10 to -85deg, Trav: 82deg total

M28 - Chin turret on the AH-1G Cobra containing a M134 7.62mm minigun and
M129 40mm grenade launcher (or 2 M134's or 2 M129's).  EL: 10.6 to -50deg
Trav: 107.5 deg left or right

XM51 - Nose mounted M129 40mm grenade launcher on the AH-56.
EL: 18 to -70deg, Trav: 100 deg left or right

XM52 - Belly-mounted XM140 30mm automatic cannon on the AH-56.
EL: 27 to -60deg, Trav: 200 deg left or right

XM53 - XM51 with a M134 minigun instead of M129.

M97 - Chin mounted UTS (Universal Turret System), M197 3-barrel 20mm
gatling gun on the AH-1. EL: 20 to -50deg, Trav: 110deg left or right

XM120 - Nose mounted XM140 30mm automatic gun on the AH-1G
EL:  15 to -40, Trav: 110 left or right

M139 - The chin mounted Area Weapon System on the AH-64. This consists
on the M230 30mm chain gun. (mounting this uside-down would actually
put the gun in the correct orientation, it normally hangs upside down
from the helicopter).  EL: 11 to -60deg Trav: 100deg left or right

This is just a sampling of the US helicpter systems available.  Many
systems were designed to be adaptible to various guns and calibers.

Caliber - There are few calibers readily available for the secondary
armament roles.  Normally 7.62 NATO is considered the minimum caliber and
20 and 30mm cannon cal is starting to get a bit large, along with 40mm
grenades. This leaves us with the 7.62, 12.7, 20, 30 (30x113), and 40
(40x53R) mm rounds.  There is also a 15x115mm Belgium round and a 16mm US
round in development.  There is also a 30mm grenade used by the USSR.

Guns - There are a number of guns availible in these calibers ; self
powered, externally powered, single vs. multibarreled, etc.  Gatling type
guns use an inordanate amount of ammunition, and are usually too heavy for
such an application.  A self powered gun has the advantage that it can be
removed from the vehicle and still be functional.

My choice would be to bring back the Vickers or Lewis guns in .303 British.
I need a continued source of cheap ammo for my Enfield.

nanis@llex.ll.mit.edu (Jeff Nanis) (06/15/91)

From: nanis@llex.ll.mit.edu (Jeff Nanis)

cfreund@PICA.ARMY.MIL (CCL-L) writes:
>Caliber - There are few calibers readily available for the secondary
>armament roles.  Normally 7.62 NATO is considered the minimum caliber and
>20 and 30mm cannon cal is starting to get a bit large, along with 40mm
>grenades. This leaves us with the 7.62, 12.7, 20, 30 (30x113), and 40
>(40x53R) mm rounds.  There is also a 15x115mm Belgium round and a 16mm US
>round in development.  There is also a 30mm grenade used by the USSR.

I seem to recall that there are actually two different calibers of
40 mm grenade: a low-velocity round for the M79/M203 that can also be fired
from the Mk19, as well as a high-velocity round for the Mk19 and the various
helo grenade launchers. Does anyone have more data on this?

--
Jeff Nanis
nanis@ll.mit.edu

consp04@bingsuna.bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Dan Boyd) (06/15/91)

From: consp04@bingsuna.bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Dan Boyd)

When they were designing the M-1, they looked at various kinds of
secondary and coaxial armament.  One member of the team wanted twin
.50 caliber machine guns for the co-axial armament.  They'd be stable
and accurate out to hundreds and hundreds of meters -- but it was
discovered that they wouldn't be much use, since the bullet wouldn't
explode.  They later settled on the 30mm M-25 Bushmaster cannon used on
the Bradley as the best choice for the co-ax weapon.

The commander gets a .50 caliber machine gun, but it's not stabilized
so you can't use it on aircraft unless they're really low.  The loader
gets an M-60 as well, which is a new thing -- the M-60 and the M-48
didn't have guns for the loader.

[That information came from Orr Kelly's 'King of the Killing Zone.]

But production M-1s don't have a 30-mm cannon as their co-ax.  This
wasn't mentioned in the book. They have a 7.62mm machine gun.  That's
right - just an M-60.  Why?

My guess is, anything that you're going to shoot the Bushmaster at is
worth shooting the main gun at.  If it's got a THICK metal skin, you'll
need a sabot or a shaped-charge shell.  If you could damage it with a
30mm armor-piercing round, then why not hit it with a regular HE 115mm
round -- that way, you could get it with a near-miss as well.  The
co-axial armament is for shooting at people with when you're in a
hurry, hence a machine gun.

Suppose we're driving around through the woods with the commander and
loader at their guns.  And someone pops up and sprays the top of the
tank with an assault rifle.  Now the commander and loader are probably
out of action, and the gunner still has the co-axial MG to hose down
the area with.  You can't hose down a row of bushes with a 30mm
cannon.

Also, you've only got to carry three kinds of ammo: Main-gun, .50
caliber, and 7.62mm.

You don't want a minigun or a Vulcan as your co-axial armament either
-- they eat ammo like there's no tomorrow.  Aircraft armament is
designed to throw as much of the ammo as possible out in as little time
as possible -- because the aircraft is cruising by really fast.  If you
didn't use a minigun on the helicopter, the bullet strikes would be
spread out too far.

--
Daniel F. Boyd
consp04@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (06/19/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>But production M-1s don't have a 30-mm cannon as their co-ax.  This
>wasn't mentioned in the book. They have a 7.62mm machine gun.  That's
>right - just an M-60.  Why?
The loader's and coaxial MG's on the M1 series are M240 7.62mm of
Belgian design and manufacture.  (They are pretty much scaled up
versions of the M249 SAW)  One benefit to having the gun at the loader's
station is that if the coax gets damaged or otherwise becomes
unserviceable, the loader's gun can be used as a replacement.  Another
benefit is it gives the loader something to hang on to when he's
standing up in his hatch with the tank on the move.  Also, it gives the
M1 three usable weapons against infantry instead of two--no APERS rounds
exist as of yet for the 120mm gun.
Allan Bourdius [USMC Officer Candidate/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or 1069 Morewood Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA  15213
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused" "Give, expecting nothing
thereof."
The opinions in this post/mail are only those of the author, nobody else.

kozowski@ohsu.EDU (Eric Kozowski) (06/19/91)

From: kozowski@ohsu.EDU (Eric Kozowski)
In article <1991Jun18.074427.15056@amd.com> nanis@llex.ll.mit.edu (Jeff Nanis) writes:
>I seem to recall that there are actually two different calibers of
>40 mm grenade: a low-velocity round for the M79/M203 that can also be fired
>from the Mk19, as well as a high-velocity round for the Mk19 and the various
>helo grenade launchers. Does anyone have more data on this?
This is correct.  The max effective range of the 203 is about 250-300M.
The Mk19 is about 1000M.  These numbers are approximate and just off the
top of my head.  Also, the Mk19 rounds come linked and CANNOT be
unlinked.  Also, I don't think that 203 rounds can be fired out of the
Mk19, but could be wrong (I've never heard of anybody trying this.)  I
think they wouldn't have sufficent gas output to operate the Mk19.

--
Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (06/19/91)

From: wdr@wang.com (William Ricker)
I've been intrigued by the 40mm Autmatic Grenade Launchers (Mk.17 &
Mk.19?).  I used to see reports of a "Bushmaster turret" -- an
overgrown cupola -- for AFV/IFVs that combined a 40mm AGL and a 25mm
dual-feed chain gun, but not lately.  I'd have to check my clip file, but
I think it was on Ford's proposal for (eventual) Bradley.  Combine these,
either as cupola/turreted or remote-operated with a remote-operated
ITOW or FOGM launcher and you'd put some punch on your grunt-hauler
without making it look like a tank with a rumble seat.
    (I think the Bradley has too long a nose for a non-tank: it makes
Senators think it should be able to trade main-gun shots with tanks
and win, and might attract more attention from anti-tank gunners than
a more traditionally designed APC/IFV/CFV -- which may be good for the tanks
its in formation with, but that is *not* how I think AFVs should be
protecting tanks in combined operations!)

(Has anyone commented on the similarity of the M113 ACAV variant, with
two .50 HMGs topside, to the "Female/Infantry Tank" of WWI, esp. given that
no one with any sense rode *in* them in 'Nam?)

---
/s/ Bill Ricker                wdr@wang.wang.com
"The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one."
*** Warning: This account is not authorized to express opinions. ***

bxr307@csc1.anu.edu.au (06/20/91)

From: bxr307@csc1.anu.edu.au
In article <1991Jun19.011717.13143@cbnews.cb.att.com>, ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

> The loader's and coaxial MG's on the M1 series are M240 7.62mm of
> Belgian design and manufacture.  (They are pretty much scaled up
> versions of the M249 SAW)

	Err, methinks you have that the other way around.  The US M240 is
in fact the FN-MAG58 GPMG.  It was adopted after the M60e3 was proven to
be such a dog.  In trials the US Army found that the FN-MAG58 was _so_
reliable that the only way they could get a stoppage was to pour sand into
it, whereas the M60 suffered a meantime between stoppages of only some
5-7,000 rounds.  They also found the M60 tended to fall to pieces after about
70-100,000 rounds whereas the FN-MAG58 only had some cracking evident in
the reciever.
	The M249 is a slightly modified version of the FN-Minimi LMG and that is
in turn basically a scaled down FN-MAG58.

--
Brian Ross
	"If we got it so wrong in the Middle East yesterday, what makes

cfreund@PICA.ARMY.MIL (CCL-L) (06/20/91)

From:     "Charles T. Freund" (CCL-L) <cfreund@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
> They later settled on the 30mm M-25 Bushmaster cannon used on
>the Bradley as the best choice for the co-ax weapon.

The Bushamaster used on the Bradley is the M242 25mm Chain gun.  The
only other weapon in competition for the Bradley (that I recall)
was the XM241, also a 25mm weapon.  True, the firepower available
from the M242 would make for a formidible coax weapon, but the gun
fires a 25x137mm round.  The M242 is the primary weapon (gun) in the
Bradley, with only 300 ready rounds;  and that is without having to
compete with a main gun for space.  It would have to be quite some
turret to house both a M242 AND a main gun system.  As for hosing down
bushes with a 25mm (or 30mm) round, that is what the M242 was originally
designed to do.  Rapid fire 25mm HE rounds do just fine.

(BTW - the Abrams uses M240's rather than M60's for its 7.62mm
armaments)

Charles T. Freund  <cfreund@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
ARDEC, CCAC, Picatinny Arsenal
SMCAR-CCL-LG, Ground Weapons Team

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (06/20/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>Mk.19?).  I used to see reports of a "Bushmaster turret" -- an
>overgrown cupola -- for AFV/IFVs that combined a 40mm AGL and a 25mm
>dual-feed chain gun, but not lately.

The latest development of the USMC's amtrac, the AAV7A2 mounts a turret
with a M2HB .50 caliber MG and a Mk 19 40mm MG.

Allan