[sci.military] Fire and Forget

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) (07/13/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW))

In article <8178@cbnews.ATT.COM> Nicholas C. Hester writes:

>If i remember correctly, the Phoenix is a fire and forget missile.

The Phoenix (AIM-54) is not always fire and forget. The Phoenix is an
active radar homing missile. But the active homing portion of its
flight is only in the terminal phase (last ~15 miles or so). Now, the
Phoenix is fairly fast, but it has a long range (~100 miles in the
head-on part of the firing envelope). If the Phoenix is fired at long
range, the target has time to maneuver away (assuming the target knows
it's being shot at). To keep the Phoenix on target before it goes
active homing, target updating information is fed to it from the
launching Tomcat. To feed updates, you need a radar lock-on. To
summarize, short shots are fire-and-forget, long shots are often not.

The AMRAAM has a similar active homing range but a much shorter
overall range. Thus, it is pretty much fire-and-forget.

The reason that the active homing terminal phase is not longer has to
do with the relative power and size of the active homing radar. If you
required the Phoenix to be active homing all the way, the missile
would be huge (it's already big).

-ted

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board

allynrud@pro-acsd.cts.com (Matthew Smeltzer) (06/25/91)

From: allynrud@pro-acsd.cts.com (Matthew Smeltzer)

I was under the impression that the standard issue AGM-65 and later models
would be of the type that would be a "fire and forget" missile and that it
would lock onto its target, and then continue barring any unforseen mishap
of the guidance system due to radio interference, or microwave bombardment,
as per Defensive measures required to "save ones A**". I am not an expert,
mind you, but a curious individual trying to understand that which I am not
well versed in.

Care to assist me?