[sci.military] Confusion...

Bob.Underdown@f1040.n391.z1.FidoNet.Org (Bob Underdown) (06/21/91)

From: Bob.Underdown@f1040.n391.z1.FidoNet.Org (Bob Underdown)

Would someone care to explain why a Major outranks a Lieutenant but in
the Civil War, a Lieutenant General was considered a higher rank than
Major General?   Before 1864, Grant had been a Major General:

March 12th 1864, Congress promotes Grant to the rank of Lieutenant
General,
a rank previous held by no other officer since George Washinton in the
Revolution.  Grant is made Supreme Commander of all Federal armies in
the East and West Theatres.

 * Origin: The GASLIGHT BBS!  Network History Echo Moderator
(1:391/1040.0)

rqdms@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov (Dennis Stockert) (06/22/91)

From: rqdms@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov (Dennis Stockert)
In article <1991Jun21.014233.14421@cbnews.cb.att.com>, Bob.Underdown@f1040.n391.z1.FidoNet.Org (Bob Underdown) writes...

>From: Bob.Underdown@f1040.n391.z1.FidoNet.Org (Bob Underdown)
>
>Would someone care to explain why a Major outranks a Lieutenant but in
>the Civil War, a Lieutenant General was considered a higher rank than
>Major General?   [....]

I'm not totally sure I understand the specific question you have, but in
those services with this rank structure (in the U.S.), it's still the same
today.... a major still outranks a lieutenant, and a lieutenant general
still outranks a major general.  The general officer ranks are, lowest to
highest:  brigadier general, major general, lieutenant general, and general
(omitting the very rare top rank of 5-star general :-)

As to =why= the apparent inconsistency of the relative status of the terms
"major" and "lieutenant", I guess I'll leave that to the military history
buffs (I =know= you're out there .... :-)

* Dennis Stockert              *  Life is what happens to you while   *
* rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov   *  you're planning other things - Mom  *
*  No one that knows me would mistake my opinions for those of        *
*                 any respectable organization                        *

military@cbnews (06/25/91)

From: att!bcr!mruxb!patter
I'll take a stab at this.

1. The brigadier general directly commands a brigade.

2. The major general has majors as his direct subordinates?

3. The leutenant general, on the other hand, is a "leutenant" or
   apprentice general?

awillis@gara.une.oz.au (Sir) (06/25/91)

From: awillis@gara.une.oz.au (Sir)

In article <1991Jun21.014233.14421@cbnews.cb.att.com>, Bob.Underdown@f1040.n391.z1.FidoNet.Org (Bob Underdown) writes:

> From: Bob.Underdown@f1040.n391.z1.FidoNet.Org (Bob Underdown)
>
> Would someone care to explain why a Major outranks a Lieutenant but in
> the Civil War, a Lieutenant General was considered a higher rank than
> Major General?   Before 1864, Grant had been a Major General:

Basically the difference is that Major General is a shortened version of
Seargeant Major General. This became to much of a mouthful though so they
shortened it to Major General.

             *-- The Name is Willis,     --*
             *-- Andrew Willis.          --*
             *-- You can call me, Sir.   --*