[sci.military] VLS vs. External missile pods

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (06/27/91)

From: christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson)
    Suku <R2RS1%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU> writes:
>Sometime back I was looking at photographs of Guided missile ships of
>Soviet make and saw that most of them have their SSM pods mounted
>externally on either side of the superstructure. Doesnt that make them
>very vulnerable. A hit from an incoming shell or missile would wipe out
>their missile capability easily, not to mention the damage caused by
>exploding warheads and propellant. Does it not make sense to have vertical
>launched missile magazines situated inside the ship hulls giving a little
>more protection and survivability ? Have there been any Soviet made ships

Hmmmmm.  Given the penetration capabilities of modern anti-ship missiles,
and the (optimistic? for someone, at least) hope that you will get your
missiles launched first, do you think it really matters?  Seems like with
some of the larger Soviet warships, pretty much no matter where you hit it
(if you do) you're going to hit a magazine.....

Add this to the fact that not many ships built lately (there are a few
exceptions, I know) have the thick belted armor around them, and it seems to
me that any ship will lose something inside when it takes a hit.

Chris Thompson

--
"Never count a human dead until you've seen the body.  And even
then you can make a mistake".