[sci.military] Aegis cruisers

thi@mips2.ma30.bull.com (04/11/91)

From: thi@mips2.ma30.bull.com

I think there are four Aegis cruisers operational today with the US Navy.
I can only come up with names for three of them (Ticonderoga, Vincennes,
Bunker Hill).  What is the name of the fourth one?

Do the Navy plan to build any more of these super cruisers?

Thanks

-tt

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (04/12/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>I think there are four Aegis cruisers operational today with the US Navy.
>I can only come up with names for three of them (Ticonderoga, Vincennes,
>Bunker Hill).  What is the name of the fourth one?

>Do the Navy plan to build any more of these super cruisers?

Boy, are you going to be surprised!

Actually, there are 15 in service plus 12 under construction.  Here
they are:

    Name            No     Status
-----------------  -----  ---------
TICONDEROGA        CG 47    Comp.
YORKTOWN           CG 48    Comp.
VINCENNES          CG 49    Comp.
VALLEY FORGE       CG 50    Comp.
THOMAS S GATES     CG 51    Comp.
BUNKER HILL        CG 52    Comp.
MOBILE BAY         CG 53    Comp.
ANTIETAM           CG 54    Comp.
LEYTE GULF         CG 55    Comp.
SAN JACINTO        CG 56    Comp.
LAKE CHAMPLAIN     CG 57    Comp.
PHILIPPINE SEA     CG 58    Comp.
PRINCETON          CG 59    Comp.
NORMANDY           CG 60    Comp.
MONTEREY           CG 61    Bldg.
CHANCELLORSVILLE   CG 62    Comp.
COWPENS            CG 63    Bldg.
GETTYSBURG         CG 64    Bldg.
CHOSIN             CG 65    Bldg.
HUE CITY           CG 66    Bldg.
SHILOH             CG 67    Bldg.
ANZIO              CG 68    Bldg.
VICKSBURG          CG 69    Bldg.
LAKE ERIE          CG 70    Bldg.
CAPE ST GEORGE     CG 71    Bldg.
VELLA GULF         CG 72    Bldg.
PORT ROYAL         CG 73    Bldg.

Note: Comp. - Completed
      Bldg. - Building

The TICONDEROGA class design is a modification of the SPRUANCE class.
The same basic hull is used, with the same gas turbine propulsion plant
although the overall length is slightly incrased.  The design includes
Kevlar armour to protect vital spaces.  No stablizers.  VINCENNES and
later ships have a lighter tripod mainmast vice the square quadruped
of the first two.

An immediate result during TICONDEROGA's first deployment in 1984 was
the reduction of combat air patrols because of her success in detecting
targets in the vicinity of her task force.  Since then, YORKTOWN provided
the air-intercept support for Navy fighters intercepting the Egyptian
airline carrying the hijackers of the cruise ship ACHILLE LAURO from
Egypt to Tunisia.  In March and April of 1986, YORKTOWN and VINCENNES
were focal points of the successful operations in the Gulf of Sidra
which led to the sinking of at least two Libyan patrol boats and of
the strike by carrier-based Navy aircraft and shore-based F-111s against
Libyan missiles sites and other targets.  From the spring of 1987 until
the ceasefire in summer 1988 at least one of these ships was in the
Gulf area.  VINCENNES was again in the news with the misidentification
and shooting down of an airliner during a surface engagement with Iranian
gunboats.  The report of that incident describes the Aegis system as
having performed as designed, and the sensor data collected was accurate
but it should be appreciated that Aegis is not capable of identifying
the type of aircraft being tracked.  That decision is still a matter
for human judgement.

Aegis' major advantages are the extended range ofits sensors, its fast
reaction time, the capability to track many targets at once, its ability
to send this information automatically to other units, and its data
displays which combine sensor information with other inputs and better
convey it to the users.  Because of its long-range radar, it gives the
operators additional time to react, to gather data, and to make considered
judgements.  Operating close-in to a land-based airfield, however, these
advantages can be severely eroded.  The most capable platform in the
US inventory for handling the anti-ship missile threat is the Aegis
cruiser.

Source: Jane's Fighting Ships 1990-91

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (04/12/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

In article <1991Apr12.054955.13687@amd.com> thi@mips2.ma30.bull.com writes:
>I think there are four Aegis cruisers operational today with the US Navy.

Au contraire, the Navy presently has 16 operational TICONDEROGA-class
Aegis cruisers, with another 12 slated to enter service in the next
few years.  They are (from CG-47 - CG-73 respectively):

	[same list as in previous article; thanks.  --CDR]

Homeports include Norfolk, VA; San Diego, CA; Mayport, FL; Long
Beach, CA; and Yokosuka, Japan.

Also, CG-74 has yet to be named.

>Do the Navy plan to build any more of these super cruisers?

Don't know for sure -- maybe not, with the impending defense
cuts.  Also, the USS ARLEIGH BURKE-class (DDG-51) Aegis Destroyers
will be coming on line pretty soon (the ARLEIGH BURKE herself is
already operational).  Aegis-equipped ships provide the versatility
necessary to operate effectively in an ever-changing warfare
environment, so they'll be around for a long time.

-shane

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (04/13/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>I think there are four Aegis cruisers operational today with the US Navy.
>I can only come up with names for three of them (Ticonderoga, Vincennes,
>Bunker Hill).  What is the name of the fourth one?
>
>Do the Navy plan to build any more of these super cruisers?

A total of 19 Ticonderoga-class, AEGIS equipped CG's are operational or
are nearing commission with the USN.  They are:
	[ same list as previous ]

In addition, the following [8] units are under construction/authorized:
	[ ditto ]

A further 7 ships are planned, for a grand total of 34 "Tico" class
vessels.  In addition, the first unit of the AEGIS-equipped destroyer
counterpart class, DDG 51 USS Arleigh Burke, was recently commissioned.
A total of 13 DDG 51's have been ordered or are under
construction/completed and the total construction run is planned to
produce 66 vessels.

source:  Combat Fleets of the World, 1990/91 and Proceedings of the USNI

--
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 3/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or Box 4719, 5125 Margaret Morrison St., Pgh., PA  15213

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (04/13/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <1991Apr12.054955.13687@amd.com> thi@mips2.ma30.bull.com writes:
>I think there are four Aegis cruisers operational today with the US Navy.

There are considerably more than 4 operational. Currently, I think
there are 18 in service. The following information is from Combat
Fleets (90-91) and USNI Proceedings (May 89, May 90, Jul 90, Feb 91,
Apr 91).

[gives additional info so this list stays in --CDR]

				Laid Down	Launched	In Service
	authorized FY 78
CG 47 Ticonderoga (Baseline 0)	21 Jan 80	25 Apr 81	22 Jan 83
	authorized FY 80
CG 48 Yorktown			19 Oct 81	17 Jan 83	4 Jul 84
	authorized FY 81
CG 49 Vincennes	(Baseline 1)	20 Oct 82	14 Jan 84	6 Jul 85
CG 50 Valley Forge		14 Apr 83	23 Jun 84	11 Jan 86
	authorized FY 82
CG 51 Thomes S. Gates		31 Aug 84	14 Dec 85	22 Aug 87
CG 52 Bunker Hill (Baseline 2)	11 Jan 84	11 Mar 85	20 Sep 86
CG 53 Mobile Bay		6 Jun 84	22 Aug 85	21 Feb 87
	authorized FY 83
CG 54 Antietam			15 Nov 84	14 Feb 86	6 Jun 87
CG 55 Leyte Gulf		18 Mar 85	20 Jun 86	26 Sep 87
CG 56 San Jacinto		22 Jul 85	14 Nov 86	23 Jan 88
	authorized FY 84
CG 57 Lake Champlain		3 Mar 86	3 Apr 87	12 Aug 88
CG 58 Phillippine Sea		8 May 86	12 Jul 87	18 Mar 89
CG 59 Princeton	(Baseline 3)	15 Oct 86	25 Sep 87	11 Feb 89
	authorized FY 85
CG 60 Normandy			7 Apr 87	19 Mar 88	9 Dec 89
CG 61 Monterey			19 Aug 87	23 Oct 88	16 Jun 90
CG 62 Chancellorsville		29 Jun 87	15 Jul 88	4 Nov 89
	authorized FY 86
CG 63 Cowpens			23 Dec 87	11 Mar 89	9 Mar 91
CG 64 Gettysburg (Baseline 4)	17 Aug 88	22 Jul 89
CG 65 Chosin			22 Jul 88	1 Sep 89	12 Jan 91

>Does the Navy plan to build any more of these super cruisers?

	authorized FY 87
CG 66 Hue City			20 Feb 89	24 Mar 90
CG 67 Shiloh			1 Aug 89
CG 68 Anzio			21 Aug 89
	authorized FY 88
CG 69 Vicksburg
CG 70 Lake Erie
CG 71 Cape St. George
CG 72 Vella Gulf
CG 73 Port Royal

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273

zarda@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (04/16/91)

From: zarda@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

I have a couple of questions about the Aegis Cruisers.

First, wasn't the Yorktown involved in a "bumping" incident
in the Black Sea with a Soviet ship?(in the early 80's)

Second of all, aren't the Japanese going to build this system also?
If so, how many do they plan on building, are any under construction?

And last of all have any other Allies expressed interest in purchasing
this system?

Thanks,
Doc

--
U.Wisconsin Milwaukee
Major: Political Science

swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams) (04/17/91)

From: swilliam@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Steve Williams)

>First, wasn't the Yorktown involved in a "bumping" incident
>in the Black Sea with a Soviet ship?(in the early 80's)

Yes.

>Second of all, aren't the Japanese going to build this system also?
>If so, how many do they plan on building, are any under construction?

Japan has strictly a defense navy.  According to Jane's Fighting Ships,
Japan doesn't have any cruiser in her navy, and there's no plan to build
any cruiser.  The Japanese Navy is made up mostly of submarines
(diesel-electric), destroyers, frigates, and patrol boats.

>And last of all have any other Allies expressed interest in purchasing
>this system?

USS TICONDEROGA cost $930 million in the FY 1978 budget.  I don't have
the figures for the new TICONDEROGA class ships today, but I believe
that you get the idea.  Not many countries can afford the price, if
any.

Steve Williams

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim) (04/17/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim)

>ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:
>A further 7 ships are planned, for a grand total of 34 "Tico" class vessels.

I believe the class is going to be terminated at 27 units, the last of
which were authorized in FY 88. Even with the cutback, the original
plan was to tail off gradually (go from 3 down to 2, down to 1 per
year). However, congress in FY 88 decided to "buyout" the remainder in
one final big buy (5 units) and save some money.

--

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (04/17/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

>zarda@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>Second of all, aren't the Japanese going to build this system also?
>If so, how many do they plan on building, are any under construction?

The Japanese are building Aegis destroyers similar to our DDG-51
Arleigh Burke class.

>And last of all have any other Allies expressed interest in purchasing
>this system?

As far as I know, no other allies have any plans to build Aegis ships.
Of course, many have plans to deploy new naval AAW systems in the
future. However, in general, they are looking to fill a somewhat less
demanding role.

As far as NATO goes, interest is centered on what to put on the next
generation frigates and destroyers. Unfortunately, the NATO frigate
project collapsed. So now it looks like, each nation may decide
independently. The two main competitors at this point are NAAWS and
FAMS.

--

tek@pram.CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (06/27/91)

From: tek@pram.CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))
For those of you following the Aegis cruiser program, another one
was just commissioned. On 22 June 1991, the Gettysburg (CG-64) was
commissioned at Philadelphia Naval Yard. The Gettysburg is a baseline
four Ticonderoga class Aegis cruiser.

-ted