[sci.military] German WWII Jets

FRANK%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu (06/25/91)

From:     <FRANK%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
I'm looking for good references (pictures, specs, history) on German WWII jet
and rocket aircraft, especially the more exotic ones, such as the Me P1011
variable wing sweep fighter, the Hs 132 ground attack jet and the He 343 four
engine bomber.
Also, what AF and other air museums have the more "mundane" Me 262 and Me 163
on display?
Thanks

Frank Henriquez         frank@bonnie.astro.ucla.edu

"The opinions expressed above reflect those of the Martian Government"

brndlfly@athena.mit.edu (Matthew T Velazquez) (06/27/91)

From: brndlfly@athena.mit.edu (Matthew T Velazquez)
In <1991Jun25.022905.24830@cbnews.cb.att.com> FRANK%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CORNELLC
.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>Also, what AF and other air museums have the more "mundane" Me 262 and Me 163
>on display?
>Thanks
>
>Frank Henriquez         frank@bonnie.astro.ucla.edu

The Deutsches Museum in Munich has an on-the-ground, quite touchable Me 262 in
on of the big display areas. It was quite a thrill, but bring your flash if you
intend to take pictures. It was DARK in there.

				T Velazquez
				MIT Aero/Astro
				brndlfly@athena.mit.edu
"The art of engineering is knowing when to lie, and by how much."
				-Ken Meltsner

military@cbnews (06/27/91)

From: att!bcr!mruxb!patter
Jane's aircraft will have specs on about anything you want (I
remember seeing the Heinkel and Arado jets in there). You can
sometimes find this on sale for about $40.00.

Adolf Galland's "The first and the last" has a section on the Me262
squadrons which he commanded.

"Rocket Pilot" is a first person account of the use of the "powered
egg" aircraft. I think this is a Bantam book.

The National Air & Space museum has a 262 in mint condition, as well
as photos of the rocket planes, a V-1, and a V-2. You ought to go there
anyway - it's unbelievable!

carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Charles Carey (SVER)) (06/27/91)

From: carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Charles Carey (SVER))
In article <1991Jun25.022905.24830@cbnews.cb.att.com>, FRANK%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu writes...

>I'm looking for good references (pictures, specs, history) on German WWII jet
>and rocket aircraft, especially the more exotic ones, such as the Me P1011
>variable wing sweep fighter, the Hs 132 ground attack jet and the He 343 four
>engine bomber.

I know of Me-262's at National Air & Space Museum in DC & AF Museum in
Dayton, OH. I saw an unrestored but well preserved Me-163B in the NASM
SilverSpring Restoration Facility on a tour about 10 yrs ago (while they were
doing the 262 restoration).

I've got a couple of books on wierd German jets at home. I'll send the
titles tomorrow.

Charlie Carey                          "I can't get anyone to give me a firm
                                        opinion on anything. So, if they
                                        have one, this isn't it"

nolan@TWG.COM (Nolan Hinshaw) (06/28/91)

From: Nolan Hinshaw <nolan@TWG.COM>

brndlfly@athena.mit.edu (Matthew T Velazquez) writes:

-: From: brndlfly@athena.mit.edu (Matthew T Velazquez)

-: The Deutsches Museum in Munich has an on-the-ground, quite touchable Me 262 in
-: on of the big display areas. It was quite a thrill, but bring your flash if you
-: intend to take pictures. It was DARK in there.

That place is about as good a people trap as Disneyland, only on
a much higher plane { :^/ }. They have enough stuff in there to
keep a dedicated museum-goer busy for several weeks. Wish I
could go back right now!

--
Nolan Hinshaw			Internet: nolan@twg.com
The Wollongong Group		Dingalingnet: (415)962-7197

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (06/28/91)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)
In article <1991Jun25.022905.24830@cbnews.cb.att.com>,     <FRANK%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu> writes:

> From:     <FRANK%UCLASTRO.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
> I'm looking for good references (pictures, specs, history) on German WWII jet
> and rocket aircraft, especially the more exotic ones, such as the Me P1011
> variable wing sweep fighter, the Hs 132 ground attack jet and the He 343 four
> engine bomber.
> Also, what AF and other air museums have the more "mundane" Me 262 and Me 163
> on display?

For German jet- and rocket-powered aircraft of the Second World War (as well
as for German combat aircraft of WW2 in general), I recommend "Warplanes of
the Third Reich", by William Green.  The edition I have was published by
Doubleday.  It is crammed with detail, and has lots of photographs and three-
view drawings.   I cannot recommend the book too highly.  Enjoy!

I remember seeing a Heinkel He-162 and a Messerschmitt Me-163 in a museum
in London.  No, it wasn't the Imperial War Museum.  My memory is fading,
but the museum had a name like "Museum of Science and Industry" or something
similar.  It's been over 20 years ago!!

Joe Baugher
AT&T Bell Laboratories     200 Park Plaza    P. O. Box 3050
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050  (708) 713-4548   ihlpm!jfb   jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com