[sci.military] Question about in-flight refueling

jfriday@marie.stat.uga.edu (Paul Stacy) (06/22/91)

From: jfriday@marie.stat.uga.edu (Paul Stacy)
Replying to the question about the first in-flight refueling, I don't
have
info on it but I read about one in about 1928 between two biplanes.
The one that received stayed up for 28 hours or so.  The fuel was
transferred through a fire hose.

Paul "Joe Friday" Stacy (not net.police)     Buffalo State College, New York
STACY54@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (Buffalo State College VAX)                JUST THE
jfriday@ada.stat.uga.edu (Univ. of Georgia, Athens UNIX)        "VAX", MA'AM!
Disclaimer:  This isn't the opinion of the school, police, Chief of Detective
             Staff Brown, Planet Spaceball, Starfleet Command, or the Pentagon.

johnm@vme.heurikon.com (John Mahoney) (06/25/91)

From: johnm@vme.heurikon.com (John Mahoney)

In article <1991Jun22.041715.3097@cbnews.cb.att.com> jfriday@marie.stat.uga.edu (Paul Stacy) writes:

>info on it but I read about one in about 1928 between two biplanes.
>The one that received stayed up for 28 hours or so.  The fuel was
>transferred through a fire hose.

I recall this as well, I'm not sure about the date, but I think it was Eddie
Rickenbacker, and I'm pretty sure it was the 'Question Mark' planes. (I'm
referring to the painted on ?'s, not asking you to fill in the ?)

JOHN.MAHONEY@HEURIKON.COM

carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Charles Carey (SVER)) (06/28/91)

From: carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Charles Carey (SVER))
In article <1991Jun25.024108.27108@cbnews.cb.att.com>, johnm@vme.heurikon.com (John Mahoney) writes...

>From: johnm@vme.heurikon.com (John Mahoney)
>
>In article <1991Jun22.041715.3097@cbnews.cb.att.com> jfriday@marie.stat.uga.edu (Paul Stacy) writes:
>>

>>info on it but I read about one in about 1928 between two biplanes.
>>The one that received stayed up for 28 hours or so.  The fuel was
>>transferred through a fire hose.
>
>I recall this as well, I'm not sure about the date, but I think it was Eddie
>Rickenbacker, and I'm pretty sure it was the 'Question Mark' planes. (I'm
>referring to the painted on ?'s, not asking you to fill in the ?)

According to A Pictorial History of the USAF, Question Mark flew for 151 hours
between Jan 1-7, 1929 setting an endurance record for continuous flight. They
used gas cans and a hose to transfer fuel. The crew was Sgt Roy Hooe,
Lt Elwood Quesada, Lt Harry Halverson, Capt Ira Eaker & Maj Carl Spaatz.
The flight was near Los Angeles. A/c was Fokker F-VIIA/3m (AAS type C-2A).
There is a reference to this work being built on a previous flight on
June 27, 1991. Does anyone have any info on this flight?

On the original topic, I believe the first practical air to air refueling
was developed by Flight Refueling Ltd. of the UK just post-WW2. I do not
have any details and only vague recollection that it was a probe and drogue
type. Can anyone supply the details?