[sci.military] blue angels

stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert E Mitchell) (06/27/91)

From: "Robert E Mitchell" <stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

   Hi there.  Sorry to bother you all with such mundane requests, but my friend
and I got into a "discussion" over what the Blue Angels flew before the F-18.
He insists that they flew F-4 Phantoms.  I beleive they flew A-4 Skyhawks. I'm
almost sure of it and there is 20 bucks in it for me if I'm right.  I'm not
sure if the Blue Angels ever flew F-4's because to me it doesn't appear
to be a good choice as an acrobatic/stunt/showplane.  I remember it being
fondly referred to as the flying brick.  It doesn't matter if F-4's were
indeed ever used, although it would be nice to know.  Just tell me what came
before the F-18.  I need lots of answeres from lots of people, and I need them
fast.  It would also be nice to know what planes the Blue Angels have flown
since their inception.  PLEASE respond.  can anyone help?

				Stump

PS  E-mail is fine if you prefer not to post.  It would also provide easy
proof to my obstinate friend.  Thanks a ton.

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (06/28/91)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>
Robert E Mitchell (stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu) writes:

   Hi there.  Sorry to bother you all with such mundane requests, but
   my friend and I got into a "discussion" over what the Blue Angels
   flew before the F-18.  He insists that they flew F-4 Phantoms.  I
   beleive they flew A-4 Skyhawks. I'm almost sure of it and there is
   20 bucks in it for me if I'm right.  I'm not sure if the Blue
   Angels ever flew F-4's because to me it doesn't appear to be a good
   choice as an acrobatic/stunt/showplane.  I remember it being fondly
   referred to as the flying brick.

They flew F9Fs until they switched (mid-60s) to F-4s and in the
mid-70s went to A-4s.  In the early 80s they went to F-18s.

The Thunderbirds also flew the F-4E and the F-4 I flew in was one of
them.  The T-birds went to T-38s and then F-16s at about the same time
as the Navy went to A-4s and F-18s.

You've got a lot of nerve badmouthing the F-4.  Just because it's
big, ugly, and takes two counties (those little counties on the East
Coast, not real counties like Kern) to turn in, you've got no call to
criticize it.  "Flying brick" indeed.  That's "double ugly" you're
insulting.

To be a little more factual here, the services have always maintained
that the display teams only fly regular operational fighters in
routine-ish maneuvers, so they had to fly the F-4 at that time.
Although the F-4 can't fly the tight patterns that the A-4 and F-16
do, I found it to be a more awesome aircraft.

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (06/28/91)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)
In article <1991Jun27.013045.26591@cbnews.cb.att.com>, "Robert E Mitchell" <stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu> writes:

> From: "Robert E Mitchell" <stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
>
>    Hi there.  Sorry to bother you all with such mundane requests, but my friend
> and I got into a "discussion" over what the Blue Angels flew before the F-18.
> He insists that they flew F-4 Phantoms.  I beleive they flew A-4 Skyhawks. I'm
> almost sure of it and there is 20 bucks in it for me if I'm right.  I'm not
> sure if the Blue Angels ever flew F-4's because to me it doesn't appear
> to be a good choice as an acrobatic/stunt/showplane.  I remember it being
> fondly referred to as the flying brick.  It doesn't matter if F-4's were
> indeed ever used, although it would be nice to know.  Just tell me what came
> before the F-18.  I need lots of answeres from lots of people, and I need them
> fast.  It would also be nice to know what planes the Blue Angels have flown
> since their inception.  PLEASE respond.  can anyone help?

Here's a roster of the aircraft which served with the Blue Angels Flight
demonstration team:

		Aircraft			Dates

	Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat			1946 (for a few weeks)
	Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat			1946-1949
	Grumman F9F-2 Panther			1949-1951
	Grumman F9F-5 Panther			1951-1953
	Grumman F9F-6 Cougar			1953 (for a few weeks)
	Grumman F9F-5 Panther			1953-1954
	Grumman F9F-8 Cougar			1954-1957
	Grumman F11F-1 (F-11A) Tiger 		1957-1969
	McDonnell F-4J Phantom			1969-1973
	Douglas A-4F Skyhawk			1973-1987
	McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18A Hornet	1987-present

	Grumman Aircraft since 1929, Rene J. Francillon

Joe Baugher
AT&T Bell Laboratories     200 Park Plaza    P. O. Box 3050
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050  (708) 713-4548   ihlpm!jfb   jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen C. Woods) (06/28/91)

From: scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen C. Woods)
>From: "Robert E Mitchell" <stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

>   Hi there.  Sorry to bother you all with such mundane requests, but my friend
>and I got into a "discussion" over what the Blue Angels flew before the F-18.
>He insists that they flew F-4 Phantoms.  I beleive they flew A-4 Skyhawks. I'm
>almost sure of it and there is 20 bucks in it for me if I'm right.  I'm not

You win.  The Blue Angels changed from the F-4 to the A-4 in the 70's because
of the oil crises, the Thunderbirds changed for the F-4 to the T-38 a the same
time  (I believe that it was over the winter of 1974-1975).   IMHO it was both
a gain and a loss, the A-4 could do things that a Phantom could only dream
about, and in a smaller airspace.  The Phantom, on the other hand, was simply
majestic and awesome.  Sort of like the difference between a Ferrari and a
Grand National stock car.
--
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614

carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Charles Carey (SVER)) (06/29/91)

From: carey@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Charles Carey (SVER))
In article <1991Jun27.013045.26591@cbnews.cb.att.com>, stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert E Mitchell) writes...

>   Hi there.  Sorry to bother you all with such mundane requests, but my friend
>and I got into a "discussion" over what the Blue Angels flew before the F-18.

The Blue Angels did fly A-4s before the current F-18, then (I think) F-4s
before that and F-11s before that. On the A-4s I have no doubt, I saw them!
The Thunderbirds did fly F-4E s in the early 70s, after F-105s but before
T-38s. They put on quite a show!
As a sidelight, when I served with the 4TFW, we had two of the former T'bird
F-4s. THey were NOT standard F-4E: no gun, no Weapons Release Computer. THey
could drop bombs visually and launch missiles. The smoke generator was removed
but the control panel was still in the cockpit. They had been repainted in
standard SEA lizard-flage when I saw them.

Charlie