[sci.military] Arm Launchers

tek@pram.CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (06/27/91)

From: tek@pram.CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))
>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>The missiles are stored in the magazine rings ready to fire (fins
>attached, etc.)

This statement is true for most of the single and twin-arm launchers
in the USN (including Mk11, Mk13 and Mk26).

>From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)
>From my recollection of a tour abord LONG BEACH (CGN-9) late last year, the
>walls of the loading bay were covered with "snap-on" fins for the SM2s.  When
>they ran two missiles up from the magazine (which looked just a giant revolver
>cylinder) and ran them out the rails onto the launcher, they went sans fins
>(because they didn't have the crew there to give us the "full demo.").

I believe you are describing the Mk10 launcher firing SM-2ER. (The ER
version of the SM-2 is basically the MR version with a booster added
for longer range.) Other missiles fired by the Mk10 do not require
manual fining. On the other hand, I don't think any other launcher can
handle the SM-2ER. The problem with the SM-2ER is the booster requires
big fins, which makes it tough to store them in the missile storage
ring.

>My main point, though, was that the Mk. 41 VLS is a much more capable system

It should be noted that Mk41 VLS cannot handle the SM-2ER. With fins
and booster it's too wide and too long. The Navy's fix to this problem
is to stick a shorter booster on the MR which makes use of thrust
vectoring in order to avoid big fins. The result is called the SM-2MR
Mod 4, which I think is still in development at this point. But
because the booster is smaller, the MR Mod 4 doesn't quiet have the
range of the ER.

-ted

--
Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek

002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn) (06/29/91)

From: 002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn)
tek@pram.CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude) writes:
>It should be noted that Mk41 VLS cannot handle the SM-2ER. With fins

Okay, but if you're going to note that, you should also note the range
comparisons between the SM-1 and SM-2.

In earlier missiles, a significant amount of fuel was consumed in manuevering
the missile rather than getting it down range.  As technology has advanced,
developments in guidance have resulted in wasting less fuel in early
manuevering and using almost all of the fuel for range extension.

The key differences between the SM-2 and SM-1 series revolve around guidance
principles.  Thus, even early SM-2 (MR)'s approximate the range of the SM-1
(ER)'s.  The MK-10 Guided Missile Launching System is not being installed on
any new ships under construction, and the ships carrying it are already
starting to be decommissioned.  I don't know this for a fact, but I can easily
envision the Extended Range missile systems passing fully into obsolescence.

On a related point, at the present state of the art, the range of the missiles
has grown nearly to the point that it isn't missile fuel limiting the range
anymore.  Soon it will be the range of the guidance system which limits
maximum intercept range.
                                     J. W. Cupp
UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!002            Naval Telecommunications Center
ARPA: humu!nctams!pnet16!002@nosc.mil    P.O. Box 55
INET: 002@pnet16.cts.com                 Pearl Harbor, Hawaii  96860

The above is merely my opinion, and not to be construed as anything else.