[sci.military] M1 losses in Desert Storm???

camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu ( James Seymour ) (06/27/91)

From: camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (   James Seymour   )
>From earlier posts to sci.military, I was under the impression
that we did not lose any M1's in the war.  Was I wrong?  Just
what were our losses?

The reason that I am asking is this:  Manhattan Town Center,
our local mall, has a display that has pictures taken by soldiers
from the 1st Division headquartered at Ft Riley.   One of thes
pictures is captioned:

"M1 Abrams destroyed located in Kuwait near Safwan Iraq"

It sure looked like an M1 to me, but then, I am no expert.
This photo was taken by SSG. LEAFGREEN (not sure if that is
first and last name or just last)  Company D 1-5 FA.
His address and phone # are on the picture, but I dont think
that he will be expecting calls from all over netland on this
pict.

Whats the real story on our tank losses?

thanks
james seymour
camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

nanis@llex.ll.mit.edu ( Jeff Nanis) (06/29/91)

From: nanis@llex.ll.mit.edu ( Jeff Nanis)
In article <1991Jun27.021252.4898@cbnews.cb.att.com> camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (   James Seymour   ) writes:

>From: camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (   James Seymour   )
>>From earlier posts to sci.military, I was under the impression
>that we did not lose any M1's in the war.  Was I wrong?  Just
>what were our losses?

	What I heard was that no M1's were lost to _enemy fire_. Several
were lost to mines. Additionally, the (June/July/?) "Army" magazine had
an article about a platoon that lost one in a really wierd/stupid way.
The unit was destroying captured Iraqi equipment with machine gun fire.
One tank fired into a truck that was (too) close to another tank. The
truck was carrying some heavy duty ordnance (the article speculated SAMs)
and exploded, setting fire to the adjacent Abrams. Although the tank
was gutted, the crew escaped with minor scrapes, burns, and a sprain.
--
Jeff Nanis                            Radars 'r' us.
nanis@ll.mit.edu                      An official opinion? Not on my life.

dodd@csl.sri.com (Chris Dodd) (06/29/91)

From: Chris Dodd <dodd@csl.sri.com>
camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (   James Seymour   ) writes:
>From earlier posts to sci.military, I was under the impression
>that we did not lose any M1's in the war.  Was I wrong?  Just
>what were our losses?

According to a briefing I recently attended, 7 M1s were lost in Desert Storm.
All 7 were due to side or rear penetrations -- Apparently no Iraqi weapons
(including T72s) were capable of penetrating the frontal armor of the M1.

An interesting statistic is that no tank crewmembers were killed -- this
may be what you heard as `No losses among M1s'

Chris Dodd
dodd@csl.sri.com

[mod.note:  Perhaps tanks knocked out but repairable were not counted
as losses.  With no crewmen killed, it sounds like few if any Abrams
were completely destroyed.  - Bill ]