[sci.philosophy.meta] Robots & free will

bickel@nprdc.arpa (Steven Bickel) (01/26/89)

In article <9256@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (David Palmer) writes:

>Quantum events can be recorded on devices which need not have been designed
>by an intelligent entity.  I believe that one such case is tracks in mica,
>formed by fission products from the decay of radioactive elements.  This is
>a clear case of a quantum event recorded by a serendipitous measuring device.

  Measurement of the existence of the track presumes the presense or
  absence of something (particulate matter?).  We will always have
  to measure our measuring devices capabilities with some form of
  consciousness. What forms of consciousness you choose appears to be
  determined by the foundation of life itself and your subsequent
  observations, assessments, and categorizations of these forms.

  The mobius strip logic of metaphysics. :-)

Steve Bickel