[sci.philosophy.meta] Keith Jarrett

wjh@cbnewsl.att.com (william.j.hery) (03/20/91)

>Program: Piano Improvisations
>
>His name: Keith Jarrett
>
>Almost two hours of unforgetable performance....

[numerous spiritual accolades equating Jarrett to Bach deleted...but
nothing describing the  music itself]

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert so intensely. Was that your first
chance to hear to Jarrett solo? Having attended solo Jarrett concerts in
the past, and owning a few of the recordings of solo concerts (but only
a fraction of the 20+ LPs worth of solo Jarrett available), I will say that
the music I have heard is usually interesting, at times very interesting,
at times uninspired, but overall worth hearing in spite of the fact
that numerous new age musicians have been diluted its effect with their
numerous imitations.

But none of what I have heard rates the accolades you heaped upon it.
Can you describe the music for us? Even better, can you compare it to
the famous Bremen-Lausanne and Koln concert recordings? Is there
really some new breakthrough since then (as opposed to the 10 lp/6 cd
"Sun Bear" recordings which just have a week's worth of his ruminations)?
I, for one, would really like to hear more details about this concert

You also might consider crossposting any further information to
rec.music.bluenote (the jazz/blues newsgroup--Jarrett's roots and much
of his current work is in that genre, although it has been questioned by
some whether his solo performances belong under that label), and
rec.music.newage (where his imitators are).

Bill Hery
AT&T Bell Labs
201-386-2362
att!wayback!wjh
wjh@wayback.att.COM

scott@spectra.com (Tim Scott) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar20.135211.22785@cbnewsl.att.com> wjh@cbnewsl.att.com (william.j.hery) writes:
>>Program: Piano Improvisations
>>
>>His name: Keith Jarrett
>>
>>Almost two hours of unforgetable performance....
>
>[numerous spiritual accolades equating Jarrett to Bach deleted...but
>nothing describing the  music itself]
>
>You also might consider crossposting any further information to
>rec.music.bluenote (the jazz/blues newsgroup--Jarrett's roots and much
>of his current work is in that genre, although it has been questioned by
>some whether his solo performances belong under that label), and
>rec.music.newage (where his imitators are).

And--from the content of the original post (note Keywords (!))
--probably talk.bizarre, too.

--
Tim P Scott   . . . sending from: Spectragraphics Corp.
9707 Waples St., San Diego CA 92121  [USA]+619-587-6834