[aus.followup] New-S info wanted

ronb@dmsace.dms.oz (Ron Baxter) (01/28/89)

In article <5709@wolfen.cc.uow.oz> steve@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Steve Cliffe) writes:
>Some time ago I tried to get S going on our Sequent. .....
>Since then, New-S has come along and Sequent's Fortran compiler (actually
>SVS) has become more C compatible, so before we order New-S has anyone out
>there had any experience with it - preferably on Sequents.

	I know nothing of Sequents, but have had experience with
	old and new S on a range of hardware.  Getting S going
	using compilers different from the ususal SV or BSD f77
	and cc can be quite a bit of work.  New S still has Fortran
	and C interwoven.  They have cleaned up many of the
	definitions used in the 'm4' phase so that it easier to
	adapt to other compilers.

	New S is now one large process and does not fork off
	sub-processes for graphics devices etc.

	One feature of new S that may be difficult to implement
	on other hardware is dynamic loading.  This allows a user
	to compile his/her favourite fortran/C subroutine and
	the "dynamically load" the sub.o file into S and access
	it from S functions.

	If you already have an S licence (old S) then getting the
	new S tape is cheap ($800 US I think).

____           ____           Ron Baxter, CSIRO Div Maths & Stats,
 |  } /\ |\ |   |  }          PO Box 218, Lindfield, NSW, Australia.
 |-< {  }|\\|   |-<           Phone:	+61 2 467 6059