[alt.fax] fax cover pages

craig@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (Craig S. Wilson) (01/16/90)

In article <17@fmsystm.UUCP> macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:
>Perhaps the question should be: Will we see reasonably priced switched
>56/64 kbs access in our time?  Not all of us are part of large company
>networks...we need public access to switched data networks at 56 kbs
>without ISDN crap and at costs comparable to a standard POTS line.

Improved quality and capability with no increase in costs?  Sounds
like a tough order to fill, even in a "competitive" communications
marketplace.  I am not defending gouging of customers, but I believe
that the communications companies have to make money on what they are
doing or they won't do it.  And the costs of installing the equipment
and lines to support better communications has got to large.

>Easy access at resonable cost is what made fax what it is today.
>Only when this occurs for 56 kbs will G4 fax fufill its potential.

One major difference to remember is that Group I, II, & III facsimile
products were designed to work over the existing communications
networks.  The design criteria took the existing communications
quality into account along with the intended use of the transmitted
document (to be interpreted by humans).

Most people have much higher expectations for Group IV.  They will
want better quality documents transmitted at higher rates.  And this
will be had when the communications networks around the world are
upgraded.  And someone will have to pay for it.

So, for awhile at least, be prepared to be satisfied with GIII
capabilities, build a private network, or purchase services from
someone else's network.

>The telcos view ISDN as a "revenue enhancement" opportunity as opposed to
>a universal service commitment and are acting accordingly.  There are no
>plans afoot to bring this technology to small businesses and small
>communities that I know of.
> Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy

Oh, I am sure that they have plans to improve the communications
capabilities of ALL of us.  It will be a matter of when.  The large
markets will be first so that the return on investment will be
highest.  Once the amount of installed equipment reaches a certain
point, the cost to install will drop to a point where they can provide
smaller markets with the new equipment and services.  "Competition"
may speed the installation, but by how much, I do not know.

I must say that I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of a
"telephone" company.  I just use their services.  My opinion of THE
TELEPHONE COMPANY is expressed best in the movie: "The President's
Analyst" with James Colburn.

/craig