[alt.fax] FAX in a Sun environment

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (09/06/90)

In article <33571@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>i wrote:
>>why not put your image file on a hard disk?  why use a floppy drive
>>or slow network drive for anything the least bit time critical?
>>
>	I was evaluating the boards, not running a system with them.
> And yes, that's how I got around the problem with slow server - copy the
>images to a local disk before sending them out.

in my smiley opinion, you'd probably run into trouble under *any* OS
if you try sending a fax from a floppy drive.  floppy access on PC-bus
machines is notoriously nasty and difficult to deal with from the OS,
especially if the PC-bios is used.

>	Another weird problem with MSDOS based file system for these fax
>cards (not just gamma link's) running real time, is that if you are sending
>a file that is in a directory with A LOT of files, searching thru the FAT
>table will take sometimes minutes, and opening of files, etc. slows down
>tremendouisly.

minutes?!?!?  i'm crossposting this to comp.sys.ibm.pc.  were you
running on a 4.77 Mhz XT with a very big disk drive?  is this FAT
access problem something you saw on hard disks as well as floppies?

the FAT access on big DOS disks does slow things down a bit, as i've
seen similar problems on multichannel (4-6 channels) PC-AT DOS-based
voice mail systems.  but the FAT access latencies i've seen in this
situation are on the order of .5 or 1 second at max -- not many
seconds.  so, i'm wondering about the cause of the problem you
described.  any ideas, yall?

>That could cause trouble, too. I guess not a whole lot people
>are running these fax boards in a real real serious, and industrial
>environment with heavy loads during peak hours.

"fax-server" applications & systems are not as abundant as voicemail
apps & systems, but the technical problems are very similar.  perhaps
you ought to contact a faxboard & system manufacturer that has lots
of experience with voice mail as well!  :)

>>how about fixing it yourself by using a local hard disk?
>>imho, it's YOUR problem, not Gammalink's.
>>
>	Hey. it's MessDos. <grin>

reiterating: floppy access on PC-bus machines is a big NO-NO if you
are doing time critical multitasking, especially multichannel realtime
stuff.  regardless of OS, imho.  as for MessDos, i can't stand it,
personally, but it is possible to do multichannel voice mail under
DOS, so multichannel fax is quite possible as well.  Brooktrout now
has a DOS multichannel fax toolkit, although i haven't used it.

>>obviously in the running.  any dialogic fax users out there?
>
>	I dont think the dialogic stuff is out yet.

their brochures are out, though!  :)

>>why not use 386 unix instead?
>
>	How many multi-channel fax cards for the PC have 386 unix drivers?
>I'd like to compile a list for that.. there is JTFAX, i think ( you dont
>need a driver). There is Brooktrout. There is err... Dialogic (when it comes
>out.) Nobody is using the yamaha chipset in any of these boards I dont think.
>(Which makes the modems pretty expensive).

we'll see how *nice* the products built with Yamaha chips end up being.
but, i guess you're right that there aren't all that many fax boards
which have unix drivers.  but there are more coming.  some of these
DOS-fax companies are finally realizing that Unix is more than a
four letter word.

> And there are the serial fax
>modems - but the software they supply all run under DOS, and we still dont
>have a standard way of communicating with these serial fax modems.

ah, but we do -- it just hasn't been implemented by most
serial-fax-device manufacturers.  check with Datarace -- they were all
over the creation of the serial-fax standard.  naturally, i can't
recall the standard name.  something like EIA229/TRsomething.
(really helpful, eh?)

>	Hey. But that's why we are here. Sometimes I think the confusing
>computer industry creates careers for people - just as the confusing
>social trends after the 50's create careers for shrinks and people who
>write how-to books.  But... I am not complainin' (about the confusions in
>the industry creating careers for people, at least).

Hey now!  i agree completely.
let's hear it for job security! :)

--
/*  eli@pws.bull.com   617 932 5598   fax 508 294 0101  */

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (09/07/90)

>>	Another weird problem with MSDOS based file system for these fax
>>cards (not just gamma link's) running real time, is that if you are sending
>>a file that is in a directory with A LOT of files, searching thru the FAT
>>table will take sometimes minutes, and opening of files, etc. slows down
>>tremendouisly.
>
>minutes?!?!?  i'm crossposting this to comp.sys.ibm.pc.  were you
>running on a 4.77 Mhz XT with a very big disk drive?  is this FAT
>access problem something you saw on hard disks as well as floppies?
>
>the FAT access on big DOS disks does slow things down a bit, as i've
>seen similar problems on multichannel (4-6 channels) PC-AT DOS-based
>voice mail systems.  but the FAT access latencies i've seen in this
>situation are on the order of .5 or 1 second at max -- not many
>seconds.  so, i'm wondering about the cause of the problem you
>described.  any ideas, yall?

	guess I should clear thing up a bit :). The environment was a 25
mhz 386, running DesqView with a process creating 7000 files in a directory
3 levels down from the root, each file 1000 bytes long. At the end when it got
to about 6500 files, it got painfully slow. I think it took teh system more
than 12 hours  to do the task. Why would I want to do such a deranged thing?
I was trying to prove to somebody who wanted to run two GammFax GFDCP
processes under desqview that it would not work. I will spare the net with
the rest of the gory details...

>> And there are the serial fax
>>modems - but the software they supply all run under DOS, and we still dont
>>have a standard way of communicating with these serial fax modems.
>
>ah, but we do -- it just hasn't been implemented by most
>serial-fax-device manufacturers.  check with Datarace -- they were all
>over the creation of the serial-fax standard.  naturally, i can't
>recall the standard name.  something like EIA229/TRsomething.
>(really helpful, eh?)

	Why do I have a feeling that this standard will be met by the
fax modem community with resounding silence... just like the one from intel...

>/*  eli@pws.bull.com   617 932 5598   fax 508 294 0101  */

/bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com