[ont.archives] WANTED: PD source of diff, awk, lex etc

rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) (12/27/88)

Over the years a number of unix tools' source has been posted to the net,
with things like PD versions of lex, awk [I think -- not sure on this one]
and new tools like patch, perl etc.  If anyone's been hoarding all of
these wonderful treasures, now's the time to tell your fellow
Ontarians! :-)

Reid
--
Reid Ellis
geaclib!rae@geac.uucp

moraes@csri.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (12/29/88)

In article <3508@geaclib.UUCP> rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>Over the years a number of unix tools' source has been posted to the net,
>with things like PD versions of lex, awk [I think -- not sure on this one]
>and new tools like patch, perl etc.  If anyone's been hoarding all of
>these wonderful treasures, now's the time to tell your fellow
>Ontarians! :-)

In the anonymous ftp area of radio.astro (utradio), you'll find (among
other things)

In ~ftp/gnu:
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      168702 Dec 27 22:53 binutils.tar.Z
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      408635 Dec 27 22:50 make.tar-3.27.Z
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      157098 Dec 27 22:49 gawk-2.02.tar.Z
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      206059 Dec 27 22:51 bison.tar.Z
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other       91729 Dec 27 22:50 flex.tar.Z

gawk is GNU awk - allegedly fully compatible with the AWK book, flex
is a PD lex, which is almost as complete and much faster than lex,
bison is GNU yacc, plus enhancements. Make is GNU make, plus
enhancements, and binutils is miscellaneous GNU stuff - gprof, ld,
ar, among others.

In ~ftp/utils:

   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      111753 Dec 27 23:26 patch.tar.Z
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      533860 Dec 27 23:27 perl.tar.Z

patch is patchlevel 12, perl is patchlevel 14, which may or may not be
the most recent. Keeping up with Larry Wall's flow of patches is a
little hard.

In ~ftp/c:

   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other       85643 Dec 27 23:25 id.tar.Z
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      137837 Dec 27 23:26 dbug.tar.Z

id is an identifier database for C programs - saves grepping around,
and answers questions like "where is this identifier used", "where is
this function called", etc. Very very handy, especially for programs
that span multiple directories. dbug is a set of debugging macros.

There's lots of other interesting stuff in radio's ftp directories -
see the earlier postings by Ian Darwin and Brian Glendinning.

tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (12/30/88)

In article <8812292051.AA05620@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> Mark Moraes writes:

>In ~ftp/utils:
>
>   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      111753 Dec 27 23:26 patch.tar.Z
>   -rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      other      533860 Dec 27 23:27 perl.tar.Z
>
>patch is patchlevel 12, perl is patchlevel 14, which may or may not be
>the most recent. Keeping up with Larry Wall's flow of patches is a
>little hard.

This last statement is quite blatently false... it is impossible to keep
up with the patches (at least, shortly after the release of some software
it is.) According to the version that I have running here, the most recent
patchlevel for perl 2.0 is 18.

Mark: if you want the patches, I can mail them to you (or who ever it was
that was maintaining the ftp'able stuff on radio.)

--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	mnetor!dciem!tim / tim@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (12/31/88)

In article <1317@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
>This last statement is quite blatently false... it is impossible to keep
>up with the patches (at least, shortly after the release of some software
>it is.) According to the version that I have running here, the most recent
>patchlevel for perl 2.0 is 18.

1) Yes, the latest Perl is patch level 18 (as of Friday last week...)

2) All of LWall's stuff and patches are available via ftp from
   jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov. Unfortunately, this is usually hard to get at;
   It appears to be several (overloaded) gateways back from the ArpaNet.

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chkent.UUCP

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (12/31/88)

In article <8812292051.AA05620@ellesmere.csri.toronto.edu> moraes@csri.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
 [ much deleted ]

>There's lots of other interesting stuff in radio's ftp directories -
>see the earlier postings by Ian Darwin and Brian Glendinning.

Unfortunately, very few sites in Ontario are actually on the Internet. In
Toronto thre is UofT, DCIEM, and SoftQuad. The rest of us poor slobs only
have UUCP access to the world.

Are any of these archives available via UUCP (anonymous or otherwise)?
If not, what would be the best way to transfer the stuff? There is a
geac!utgpu connection, but gpu is low on telephone resources.

Perhaps we should set up the decwrl archive server software on some well
connected site for mail access to the software archives?

--

brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca (Brian Glendenning) (12/31/88)

In article <1319@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca>, chk@dretor (C. Harald Koch) writes:
>[...]
>Are any of these archives available via UUCP (anonymous or otherwise)?
>If not, what would be the best way to transfer the stuff? [...]

Radio currently doesn't have any uucp connections, and I don't plan to put
uucp back on because it seemed to cause more problems than it solved for us.
I would be willing to consider supplying (on a continuing basis) a well
connected uucp site with an image of radio's anon ftp directories. Send mail
if you're willing to redistribute.

You probably really want a site with larger source directories, but maybe it's
a start.
--
	  Brian Glendenning - Radio astronomy, University of Toronto
brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca uunet!utai!radio!brian  glendenn@utorphys.bitnet