[ont.archives] Who is archiving which groups?

rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) (01/15/89)

Who is archiving source and binary groups?  I recall that someone in Toronto
used to archive all of comp.sources.misc, but that was a while ago..

Personally, I am specifically interested in comp.binaries.mac, but a
general list might be a good idea.
--
Reid Ellis
geaclib!rae@geac.uucp

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (01/19/89)

In article <3566@geaclib.UUCP> rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>Who is archiving source and binary groups?  I recall that someone in Toronto
>used to archive all of comp.sources.misc, but that was a while ago..

Sorry for the delay, I was planning on a more complete answer than this.

tmsoft archives comp.sources.{unix,misc,x}  We unfortunately don't
support anonymous uucp (and we're not on Onet), but are willing to
arrange short term uucp access, and accept new long term connections
as long as you pay any long-distance costs involved.  Someday we will
support anon-uucp, when I can be convinced I won't have a security
problem with it.

>Personally, I am specifically interested in comp.binaries.mac, but a
>general list might be a good idea.
Sorry, we expire binary groups after 2 days.

	../Dave

rjwhite@watmath.waterloo.edu (RJ White) (01/31/89)

In article <3566@geaclib.UUCP> rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
	Who is archiving source and binary groups?

watmath is currently not expiring the following groups :

	comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
	comp.sources.mac
	comp.sources.unix
	comp.sources.misc
	comp.sources.x
	comp.bugs.4bsd
	comp.sys.sun
	comp.archives
	ont.archives

these groups are accessable by anonymous uucp, userid 'uucp' at
519-884-4109 or 519-886-5910 (telebits) or 519-886-5913 (1200 baud DEC DF112)
from /usr/spool/uucpnews which points to /usr/spool/news

You may also be interested in the files under /usr/spool/uucpnews_subjects
which contains article #'s and subject lines :

	README
	comp.bugs.4bsd
	comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
	comp.sources.misc
	comp.sources.unix
	comp.sys.sun
	old.comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
	old.mod.computers.sun
	old.mod.mac.sources
	old.mod.sources
	old.mod.sources.doc
	old.net.bugs.4bsd
	old.net.sources
	old.net.sources.bugs
	old.net.sources.d
	old.net.sources.games
	old.net.sources.mac

The 'old.' groups are real newsgroups that expire ignores and can also
be accessed from /usr/spool/uucpnews
eg: watmath!/usr/spool/uucpnews/old/net/sources/277

The reason for the silly directory names is cause you can only access
stuff with a prefix of '/usr/spool/uucp'
watmath is in Waterloo, Ont.
	-rj