[ont.archives] Kerberos official distribution

rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (01/31/89)

>From README.ftp in the distribution location:

  Copyright (C) 1989 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology

  DISTRIBUTION OF THIS SOFTWARE IS RESTRICTED TO THE UNITED STATES OF
  AMERICA.  EXPORT IN ANY FORM IS FORBIDDEN.

... and from the small copyright file in the same place:

/*
  Copyright (C) 1989 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology

   Export of this software from the United States of America is assumed
   to require a specific license from the United States Government.
   It is the responsibility of any person or organization contemplating
   export to obtain such a license before exporting.

  */

Read it and weep.

My impression is that Kerberos (at least as applied at MIT-ATHENA) turns
any workstation into a single-user box.  That severely decreases its utility.

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (01/31/89)

As I understand things, Kerberos has parts that may not be exported outside
the US, or at least parts whose status wrt exportation has not been determined.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

ian@sq.uucp (Ian F. Darwin) (01/31/89)

Has anybody picked up the "official" release of Kerberos yet
or is everybody too busy packing up for USENIX?

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (02/01/89)

In article <1989Jan30.175744.11411@sq.uucp> ian@sq.com (Ian F. Darwin) writes:
>Has anybody picked up the "official" release of Kerberos yet
>or is everybody too busy packing up for USENIX?

There is an export restriction specified all over both the posting to the
net and the distributiuon at MIT. Kerberos MAY NOT BE EXPORTED FROM THE US!

Therefore, no, no-one has grabbed it, and if they have, they better not
admit it. :-)

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chkent.UUCP

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (02/01/89)

In article <1421@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:
>There is an export restriction specified all over both the posting to the
>net and the distributiuon at MIT. Kerberos MAY NOT BE EXPORTED FROM THE US!
>
>Therefore, no, no-one has grabbed it, and if they have, they better not
>admit it. :-)

Actually, it says that exporters are assumed to have done the legal
necessaries. If I ftp Kerberos from MIT, it is MIT that is the exporter
and I would be in the clear. I am merely the IMPORTER. My conscience is
clear. :-)

To be truthful, I haven't bothered though. We looked at Kerberos last
fall, and found it not quite suitable for our rather specialized
environment.

Disclaimer: These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those
of my employer.

Keith Hanlan			 {uunet!attcan!}utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!atreus!keithh
Bell-Northern Research
Ottawa, Canada

gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (02/07/89)

In article <89Jan30.204455est.38031@neat.ai.toronto.edu> rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) writes:
> >From README.ftp in the distribution location:
>
>   Copyright (C) 1989 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>
>   DISTRIBUTION OF THIS SOFTWARE IS RESTRICTED TO THE UNITED STATES OF
>   AMERICA.  EXPORT IN ANY FORM IS FORBIDDEN.
>
> ... and from the small copyright file in the same place:
>
> /*
>   Copyright (C) 1989 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>
>    Export of this software from the United States of America is assumed
>    to require a specific license from the United States Government.
>    It is the responsibility of any person or organization contemplating
>    export to obtain such a license before exporting.

Our University Lawyers tell me that the export regulations do not apply to
Canada.  I have sent mail to MIT about it.  I suspect that it is legal to FTP
this stuff; more info coming when I am sure.

 -Guy

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (02/07/89)

In article <23469@watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>In article <89Jan30.204455est.38031@neat.ai.toronto.edu> rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) writes:
>> >From README.ftp in the distribution location:
>>
>>   Copyright (C) 1989 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>
>>   DISTRIBUTION OF THIS SOFTWARE IS RESTRICTED TO THE UNITED STATES OF
>>   AMERICA.  EXPORT IN ANY FORM IS FORBIDDEN.
>>
>> ... and from the small copyright file in the same place:
>>
>> /*
>>   Copyright (C) 1989 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>
>>    Export of this software from the United States of America is assumed
>>    to require a specific license from the United States Government.
>>    It is the responsibility of any person or organization contemplating
>>    export to obtain such a license before exporting.
>
>Our University Lawyers tell me that the export regulations do not apply to
>Canada.  I have sent mail to MIT about it.  I suspect that it is legal to FTP
>this stuff; more info coming when I am sure.
>
> -Guy

Question:  Does this also apply to the BRL CAD package?  From what I can
	   gather, these guys want us to send a tape to the Canadian
	   Ambassador in Washington, and he'll ask them (BRL) to make a
	   copy for us!  Sites in the states can arrange to to ftp the
	   stuff.

Davin.

gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (02/16/89)

In article <23469@watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) [that's me] writes:
> Our University Lawyers tell me that the export regulations do not apply to
> Canada.  I have sent mail to MIT about it.  I suspect that it is legal to FTP
> this stuff; more info coming when I am sure.

I received this reply when I queried MIT about the situation:

  From jon@BITSY.MIT.EDU  Wed Feb  8 03:12:29 1989
  From: Jon Rochlis <jon@BITSY.MIT.EDU>
  Date: Wed, 8 Feb 89 00:40:17 EST

  I've heard the same thing about export to Canada, though I can't state
  that as an offical MIT position.  If your lawyers say its okay I would
  just do it and not worry about it, but that's just my personal opinion.
  		-- Jon

Also, included in the Kerberos distribution, in the 'doc' directory, is a
file 'kerberos.mail', which contains a discussion of export problems.  Here
is an edited version of one of the messages in that discussion:

  From: ehrgood@wnpv01.enet (TOM EHRGOOD, WNP, DTN 427-5698)
  To: @cryptomemo.dis, ehrgood
  Subject: Crypto Export Controls - Answer To Gilmore

  [ ... ]

  Gilmore, which we received on January 28th.  Gilmore's memo, which I am
  separately forwarding, argues that the posting of cryptographic software
  to certain widely available bulletin boards places that software in the
  "public domain," with the consequence that export licenses are not
  required for the exports of that software.  Gilmore's analysis has been
  given wide distribution on various networks.

  Gilmore is mistaken in his analysis and in his conclusion.  Given the
  high national security sensitivity of cryptography, generally, and DES
  encryption, specifically, it is important to set the record straight.

  The fundamental points that Gilmore gets wrong are:

    o  Exports of cryptographic software are governed by the State
       Department's International Traffic in Arms Regulations ("ITAR"),
       not by the Commerce Department's Export Administration
       Regulations ("EAR").  Exports would be governed by Commerce's
       EAR only if State waived jurisdiction.

    o  Although State Department regulations contain a "public domain"
       exemption for technical data, cryptographic software does
       not qualify as "technical data," and thus the "public domain"
       exemption does not apply.

  A legal analysis follows.

  [ ... ]

  Part 123 of ITAR contains rules governing export licenses for the export
  of "defense articles."  The basic rule is stated in Section 123.1(a) as
  follows:

      Any person who intends to export a defense article must obtain a
      license from the Office of Munitions Control prior to the export
      unless the export qualifies for an exemption under the provisions
      of this Subchapter.

  Part 123 sets forth a number of exemptions in sections 123.16 through
  123.22.  None is these exemptions covers the posting of cryptographic
  software on a bulletin board.

  Section 126.5 exempts from the licensing requirement any exports of
  unclassified defense articles or unclassified technical data to Canada
  for end-use in Canada or return to the United States.  This exemption
  would be potentially applicable only if the ONLY exports that might take
  place as a result of the bulletin board posting were exports to Canada.
  (See section 120.10, which defines "export" to include "[s]ending or
  taking defense articles outside the United States in any manner.")  In
  any event, care would have to be taken to ensure that applicable
  documentation requirements are met to invoke properly the exemption.

  [ ... ]

  What has complicated the picture and confused Gilmore is that Commerce's
  Commodity Control List -- Commerce's counterpart to the United States
  Munitions List -- contains a category 1527A covering "cryptographic
  equipment . . . and software controlling or performing the function of
  such cryptographic equipment."   Gilmore identified this regulatory control
  provision, but he misinterpreted it.

  Gilmore found the note in category 1527A, which states that

      Exporters requesting a validated license from the Department of
      Commerce must provide a statement from the Department of State,
      Office of Munitions Control, verifying that the equipment
      intended for export is under the licensing jurisdiction of the
      Department of Commerce.

  Gilmore mistakingly says, however, that "we are not requesting a
  validated license, we are using the general license, so this requirement
  does not apply . . . ."  Gilmore missed the 1527A heading: "Validated
  License Required:  Country Groups QSTVWYZ."  These designated country
  groups comprise every country in the world except Canada.  Consequently,
  a validated license issued by Commerce is required in order to make any
  export of 1527A-controlled cryptographic software.  And because a
  validated license is required, exporters seeking such a license must,
  per the note quoted above, submit a State Department statement
  "verifying" that Commerce has jurisidiction over that cryptographic
  software.  Such a statement would generally take the form of an ITAR
  section 120.5 commodity jurisdication determination.

  In sum, unless the State Department has issued a statement verifying
  Commerce jurisdiction over the cryptographic software that Gilmore has
  in mind, Commerce's controls do not apply.  And without such a
  statement, Gilmore's analysis of section 379.3 of EAR (General License
  GTDA) is completely irrelevant.

  III.  Conclusions
        -----------

  Gilmore's conclusion that the posting of cryptographic software to a
  bulletin board places it in the public domain and thus exempts it from
  export licensing controls is flat-out wrong.  U.S. law is clear:  in
  order to export "cryptographic software" within the meaning of
  Category XIII(b) of the United States Munitions List to any country
  other than Canada, a State Department export license is required.
  If there is any reason to believe or suspect that a non-U.S. or
  non-Canadian national will gain access to that bulletin board, an export
  to a third country should be assumed and a license is required..

  If there is any question whether specific encryption software
  constitutes "cryptographic software" within the meaning of
  Category XIII(b), clarification can be obtained under procedures
  established pursuant to section 120.5 of ITAR.

  A determination from State under 120.5 that it does not have
  jurisdiction is the prerequisite to bringing the control question into
  Commerce's export regulations.

---

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo		gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (02/16/89)

After having gone thru a screaming match with John Gilmore and a few other
things, I think I can clarify things a little -

	1) Public domain software, subject to some exclusions, can be exported
	   anywhere without being subject to export licensing or
	   restrictions (DOC regs that John Gilmore turned up).
	2) Copyright/patented/etc. software can exported, subject to some
	   exclusions, *most* places.  The places where you can't export
	   to are generally countries that don't recognize copyright.
	   Eg: Korea used to be in this category, and Brazil still is.
	   Some differentiations are made w.r.t. binary versus source etc.
	   In many cases it is possible to export to a country normally
	   restricted by filling out the appropriate license.  I was involved
	   with a UNIX export to Korea, and can attest to the amount of forms
	   that needed to be filled out - though they were mostly to do
	   with the hardware.
	3) Exclusions: throughout the US regulations there are a number of
	   notwithstanding clauses pointing at other legislation.  The one
	   John Gilmore missed (regarding a PD C implementation of DES) was
	   a "Munitions Export" reg.  You see, *all* encryption technology
	   is considered a "munition" and is covered under the appropriate
	   export restrictions.  There are three or four country "categories"
	   here, where the most restrictive is places like Albania, USSR etc.
	   Next is places like China and Yugoslavia, and finally Canada and
	   Britain in the least restrictive category.  And, each type of
	   encryption mechanism is restricted in different ways.
	   For example, it is forbidden to export Enigma to Great Britain
	   (which is ridiculous, considering that it was Britain that broke
	   it during WWII).  If I understand correctly, DES "implementations"
	   (either in hardware or software) can only be exported to countries
	   in the same category as Canada, *MUST* be licensed per-customer,
	   and *MUST* be used only for "banking" or "message authentication"
	   purposes.

	   This is likely to be the reason why Kerberos is restricted.
	   Therefore, you should enquire with the US DOC for final
	   clarification.

	   This may also be the case with certain Operating Systems (eg:
	   secure ones) and a few other things.

An ordinary CAD package shouldn't be covered under (3).

To a certain respect, the restrictions on hardware follow the same guidelines.

FYI: The US DOC lifted the ban on export of 8Mhz 286 CPU chips to the USSR
last fall...
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis