[comp.org.ieee] PROACTIVE APPROACH TO IEEE ACTIVITIES

krsm@hou2d.UUCP (S.MURTHY) (12/28/88)

Friends,

A gentlemen from West Germany wants to know how he can use
this news group. Any volunteers to help him ?

I am forwarding his request below.

K.R.S. Murthy

Hello, I would like to know how I can receive/ have access to
comp.org.ieee

Thanks.

 H.  L U D W I G    H A U S E N      ..................................
:                                    Telephone +49-2241-14-2440 or 2426:
: GMD Schloss Birlinghoven           Telefax   +49-2241-14-2618 or 2889:
: D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1            Teletex   2627-224135=GMD VV      :
:        West  GERMANY               Telex     8 89 469 gmd d          :
:                                    E-mail    hausen@dbngmd21.BITNET  :
:                                              hausen@kmx.gmd.dbp.de   :
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
:    GMD (Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung)          :
:    German National Research Institute of Computer Science            :
:    German Federal Ministry of Research and Technology (BMFT)         :

Another enquiry copied below. I am posting this here because
there may be similar cases of people for information.

How do I subscribe to the IEEE newsgroup?

+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Thomas I. M. Ho, Ph.D.      | Professor of Computer Technology       |
| Purdue University           | Bitnet:  TOMHO @ PURCCVM               |
| KNOY 231                    | TOMHO%PURCCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU   |
| WEST LAFAYETTE, IN  47907   | GTE: (317) 494-9525  FAX: 317+494-9033 |
+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------+

krsm@hou2d.UUCP (S.MURTHY) (12/28/88)

RESPONSE FROM Mr. FARRIS TO ONE OF MY POSTING

Murthy

*************************************
> At least, we can distill the issues into few high priority items

But aren't you worried that by concentrating on high priority items,
that we'll be discriminating against the minorities who may or may
not choose to participate?

> We can even form projects based on the prime issues and form groups
> interested in those issues. The groups can report the progress on
> this news group ( and if required, on other appropriate news groups)
> to keep the general readers informed.

I propose that we form a working group to study the best composition
of prime-issue groups.

> In addition, we can report the progress of the special projects in
> IEEE news papers (Institute, section news letters, region news
> letters etc.) and other publications like EE Times for the benefit of
> people who do not have access to the netnews news groups.

Wonderful idea.  Perhaps we should petition the IEEE to provide a
special newsletter to report on the progress of our special projects
projects.

> We will be using the electronic communication medium effectively with
> this approach. Firstly, the special interest groups can form e-mail
> alias mailing lists for communication between the members of the
> group. Secondly, the general readership is aware of the activity
> milestones and progress.

The only problem I see is that the IEEE membership (and
non-membership) that have no access to the net, will not be aware of
the progress of the working groups who are working to determine the
composition (and by implication non-composition) of the IEEE
discussion groups discussion group.

Also, I think we should immediately petition to have comp.org.ieee.d
created, so that we can give wider dissemination to this problem.

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.cts.com     ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757