[comp.org.ieee] employee loyalty...my examples

slores%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu (Stanislaw L. Olejniczak) (12/30/88)

In article <83314@sun.uucp>, mcgrew%ichthous@Sun.COM (Darin McGrew) writes:
> I'm curious what others think demonstrates "employee
> loyalty."
In my opinion "loyalty" is best demonstrated by taking into consideration thge
welfare of the company.  This is perhaps just a general as "loyalty," but I
think it may be better understood.

> I'm also looking for something that is active
O.K, some examples I came up with:
Would it be more loyal for an employee to close his eyes on software bootlegging
within a company, or to bring to the attention of the appropriate supervisor
the damage that such action may bring about?  I think a truly loyal employee
would indeed bring this to the attention of an appropriate supervisor, ALONG
with information how site licenses, house software, and other methods may lower
the cost of software without incurring unethical or damaging behaviour.

Would a loyal employee give up family time for a company? It depends.  In case
of time sensitive projects, where the integrity of the company might e
compromised, a loyal employee (all of this is MY OPINION ONLY) would give up
some time.  But he would not give up so much as to decrease his overall
productivity because that would NOT benefit the welfare of the company.

Given a project, would a loyal employee point out "better" ways of doing the
project?  I think so.  An indifferent employee might not, but a loyal employee
would bring the better solution to his supervisor's attention in a clear and
easily understood manner.

Would a loyal employee think and do on his own what would benefit the company
without taking time from his "first priority" duties?  I think so.  An
indifferent employee would not care, but a loyal employee would know what to do
with any time that may be unproductively assigned by his company, i.e. "waiting
for projects," if you will.

These are some examples.  They are limited.  They _are_ _my_ _personal_
_opinions_.  I would like to hear what others have to say.
----
Joyful Holidays and a Happy New Year!
Stan Olejniczak           Internet:   slores%gables.span@umigw.miami.edu
University of Miami       UUCP:       {uunet!gould}!umbio!solejni
Miami, Florida, USA       Voice:      (305)-547-6005
My opinions cannot possibly represent the views of anyone else!

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (12/31/88)

My first thought of a loyal employee doesn't involve any short-term attributes:
it implies an unwritten committment to stay with a company though he or she
may not have the perfect job at all times.  You know, sort-of like marriage?
This definition of commitment is most readily illustrated in Japan, where
employees commit to a company for life, and the company, in turn, is willing
to invest years of training in them.

This means that a loyal employee doesn't quit because he or she doesn't
get promoted for a month or two after they expected it.  It means they put
up with a "bread-and-butter" project that his or her division needs to do, but
which isn't as "sexy" as his or her last project.  It means that he or she
doesn't take company money to get a Master's degree, then run off for
a higher salary, taking advantage of an obscure loophole that absolves them
of financial repayment.

A loyal employee, however, DOES NOT sacrifice church, family, or friends for
the company.  That is a short-sighted solution that hurts both employee and
company in the long-run.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (01/01/89)

In article <15210@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP writes:

>It means that he or she
>doesn't take company money to get a Master's degree, then run off for
>a higher salary, taking advantage of an obscure loophole that absolves them
>of financial repayment.

      Such as the Constitutional prohibition of indentured servitude.

						John Nagle

dudevoir@isl.Stanford.EDU (Glen P. Dudevoir) (01/02/89)