[comp.org.ieee] Service Quality

duncan@geppetto.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (01/19/89)

In article <525@sce.carleton.ca> karam@sce.UUCP (Gerald Karam) writes:

>... like any large bureaucracy (it supports ~300,000 members world-wide)
>it does make mistakes.
>                                           hopefully any problems you
>get will be straightened out.  if you continue to have problems, take them
>up with your section, or if necessary your region officers -- these people
>may have more luck simply because they are more familiar with the ins and
>outs of the system.

Though this came up in the context of IEEE, I am really addressing the issue
of service quality from bureaucracies and am not particularly picking on IEEE
since I have had no bad experiences with membership payments, etc.

Any bureaucracy has to realize that, in the process of trying to handle all
processing according to the rules, something is going to go wrong.  That's
unfortunate, but the nature of bureaucracy and the down side of bureaucracy's
economy of scale approach to things.

What is NOT acceptable is that there often seems to be as much bureaucratic
confusion in getting a problem solved, so you're just as likely to have a
mix-up in getting the original mix-up addressed.  To me, this is where I begin
to lose patience with an organization since it suggests that they are not pre-
pared to deal positively with problems that their bureaucracy creates.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (201-699-3910 (w)   201-463-3683 (h))