[comp.org.ieee] Problems with IEEE; is it only me.

haas@antique.UUCP (Zygmunt Haas) (01/15/89)

I was having recently very bad experience with IEEE administration.
Here are three examples:
1) I've sent a 6-month subscription payment. Since I didn't received
   anything from them after few months, I called them. They checked it
   and explained that there was some sort of delay and that they are
   willing to send me the editions of PAST 5 months. Well, I don't need
   old editions, I have read them in the library! They were, however,
   unable to transfer the subscription to the next year.
2) I've sent my membership renewal at the beginning of November. It is
   now middle of January and I still don't have my membership card.
   I called them and they said they didn't receive my check, even through
   I have the cancelled check.
3) It is second time that I receive from IEEE something that I've never
   ordered. My company is charged, and it takes a lot of time and
   explanations each time to clear this up with IEEE.

Is it only me or others have similar experience?

Z.H.
----

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (01/17/89)

In article <2508@antique.UUCP> haas@vax135.att.com writes:
>I was having recently very bad experience with IEEE administration.
>Here are three examples:
>1) I've sent a 6-month subscription payment. Since I didn't received
>   anything from them after few months, I called them. They checked it

.....deletions

>2) I've sent my membership renewal at the beginning of November. It is
>   now middle of January and I still don't have my membership card.

...deletions

>3) It is second time that I receive from IEEE something that I've never
>   ordered. My company is charged, and it takes a lot of time and

deletion man was here....

>Is it only me or others have similar experience?
>Z.H.

I believe yours is an isolated experience.  I've had one or two
publications delayed for unknown reasons, and sometimes my
membership card is a little late, but nothing of the magnitude
you describe.

If you are willing to send them a xerox [tm] copy of the check,
and cop(ies) of any other evidence you have, I'm sure that they
will be more than happy to help you.

	- Mike Wincn

In article <2508@antique.UUCP> haas@vax135.att.com writes:

>Is it only me or others have similar experience?

It's not just you.  They held my membership check for four months, then
tried to charge me an extra ten bucks in handling fees because it bounced
because I changed banks because in four months I had finished college and
moved out of the state...  8-|

				--Blair
				  "I don't rely on the IEEE for
				   financial services, just a little
				   professional grease..."

karam@sce.carleton.ca (Gerald Karam) (01/17/89)

having been a volunteer within ieee for numerous positions i have
had the occasion to work with the staff at piscataway that "run"
membership services.  on the whole they are very competent and
hard-working individuals.

but, ieee, like any large bureaucracy (it supports ~300,000 members world-wide)
it does make mistakes. ieee doesn't go out of its way to make your life
miserable, but sometimes it just seems so. hopefully any problems you
get will be straightened out.  if you continue to have problems, take them
up with your section, or if necessary your region officers -- these people
may have more luck simply because they are more familiar with the ins and
outs of the system.

zeus@zapodid.aero.org (Dave Suess) (01/19/89)

In article <24087@amdcad.AMD.COM> ncpjmw@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Wincn) writes:
>In article <2508@antique.UUCP> haas@vax135.att.com writes:
>>Is it only me or others have similar experience?
>I believe yours is an isolated experience...
	Nope.  Last year, I stopped receiving Spectrum.  After several
	months, I wrote to IEEE --- I got a followup call telling me
	that due to computer error (!) the last line of my address was
	dropped on the floor, and nothing could be sent to me.  They
	promised to ship me the issues I'd missed.

	I have received nothing in the two months since except a
	"shipment acknowledgment" telling me that the issues will be
	shipped and that I should "allow ASAP weeks for delivery."
	Not only that, but the form shows that two of the issues they
	owe me are "permanently out of stock."
				Dave Suess	zeus@aerospace.aero.org

In article <44764@aero.ARPA> zeus@zapodid.UUCP (Dave Suess) writes:
>	Nope.  Last year, I stopped receiving Spectrum.  After several
>	months, I wrote to IEEE --- I got a followup call telling me
>	that due to computer error (!) the last line of my address was
>	dropped on the floor, and nothing could be sent to me.  They

Do they ever use net-address?

				--Blair

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (01/20/89)

In article <44764@aero.ARPA> zeus@zapodid.UUCP (Dave Suess) writes:
>In article <24087@amdcad.AMD.COM> ncpjmw@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Wincn) writes:
>>In article <2508@antique.UUCP> haas@vax135.att.com writes:
>>>Is it only me or others have similar experience?
>>I believe yours is an isolated experience...
>	Nope.  Last year, I stopped receiving Spectrum.  After several
>	months, I wrote to IEEE --- I got a followup call telling me

>				Dave Suess	zeus@aerospace.aero.org

Well, at the VERY least, IEEE owes you money and/or subscription
extension, whichever works best.

My intent was to state that my experience has been better than
that of the original author, and that none of my collegues had
such a problem.

Up until now I haven't had any reason to believe that problems
such as yours couldn't be resolved swiftly or equitably.

Mike Wincn
ncpjmw@amdcad